PDA

View Full Version : Restored (or cleaned) #5 and #8

Adam Cruea
02-24-2013, 6:46 PM
So, I've been wanting to restore planes for a while, but I finally gave in and went for it.

Here's a #5 I scored from Fleabay, and a #8 I got from Mr. Leach of Supertool.

And here they are on my (half done) workbench.

I must say, they were an absolute blast to clean up. Not complete rust buckets, but definitely shiny afterwards. :)

Just wanted to share. It was great seeing something dingy turn into something shiny and. . .well. . .beautiful. :D

Chris Griggs
02-24-2013, 8:08 PM
Those are some nice looking planes there Adam. I especially like the 5 you've got as I'm a fan of the low knobs.

Adam Cruea
02-24-2013, 9:51 PM
Those are some nice looking planes there Adam. I especially like the 5 you've got as I'm a fan of the low knobs.

Thanks! I like them too. I find them easier to push for some odd reason.

Maybe some day I'll shorten the threaded rod in the front of my tall-tote planes, re-thread it, and turn new, low totes for those planes, too. :D

Jim Koepke
02-25-2013, 1:28 AM
Looks like some nice planes.

Are they both type 11s?

Maybe some day I'll shorten the threaded rod in the front of my tall-tote planes, re-thread it, and turn new, low totes for those planes, too.

It might be easier to just trade the long rod for a short rod or buy a short rod. Finding a die to thread 12-20 is a tough task.

jtk

Gary Hodgin
02-25-2013, 1:53 AM
Looking good, nice job.

Adam Cruea
02-25-2013, 8:21 AM
Looks like some nice planes.

Are they both type 11s?

And noted about the die finding. Maybe I'll task my wife with that. . .she can find anything on the 'net. ;)

It might be easier to just trade the long rod for a short rod or buy a short rod. Finding a die to thread 12-20 is a tough task.

jtk

Checking out Hyperkitten, yes, they are both type 11's I believe.

And since you mentioned finding the die/tap for a 12-20, here's a link: http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/productlist.html?subdepartments=Special+Thread+Tap s:618,1170,1171 (just the tap, I'm assuming you could make the die yourself).

Figured I'd post that as maybe more people are looking for special taps/dies for the old-type threads.

Jim Koepke
02-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Figured I'd post that as maybe more people are looking for special taps/dies for the old-type threads.

That is where my 12-20 taps were purchased. For the die a 1/4-20 Little Giant two piece die is used. They are adjustable enough to put threads on the smaller sized shaft. The threads are not perfect, but close enough.

There have been occasional supplies of the dies made and sold.

jtk