PDA

View Full Version : universal laser air line

Vernon Wolfe
02-24-2013, 4:07 PM
I have a universal m-360 without air assist and was wanting to make my own but I need a picture of how the factory air lines are run. If someone could take a picture of theirs and post it would be great. I have searched for diy and homebuilt air assist and looked for factory manual for air assist but cant find any pics. Thanks for any help.

Joe Hillmann
02-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Vernon,

I can't find the file I used to create this but it should be easy enough to design one after looking at the pictures.

To mount it to the laser I remove the bottom screw that holds the lens in the carriage, then slip this over the carriage and put the screw back in place. The hole that the screw fits in is bigger than the head of the screw. The screw doesn't actually hold it it place it just prevents it from being able to move. The way the screw and lens holder are tapered if anything gets in the way of the screw fully seating the laser will be out of alignment.

The nozzle is simply a inflater for sports balls. Once it was all mounted up I bent it a bit so it was blowing exactly at the cut then put a couple drops of epoxy to prevent it from moving.

The tubing ,I think, is 1/8" or maybe 3/16" poly tubing. If you can find surgical tubing go with that. It is much more flexible.

Attached to that is a quick connect so I can hook it up to an air hose. On the end of my shop air hose is a ball valve and a pressure gauge so I can shut the air off and know what the pressure is without having to go to the air compressor.

When running I have ether the front or top door open and bypassed with magnets and just drape the hose over the front of the machine. A better way would be to have it hanging from the cealing so there is no possible way for the hose to get in the way.

Hope that helps. If anything isn't clear ask.

Edit: Also make sure the left side of the bracket you build is low enough to clear the incoming laser beam.

Also I mostly use this set up for vectoring and usually take it off for restoring because I worry the extra weight at full speed may cause problems.

Vernon Wolfe
02-25-2013, 6:47 PM
Thanks for the pics and info joe.I am also looking for the way universal runs their factory airline and if a backsweep nozzel will just bolt to the laser head without having the cone mounted. I am trying to figure out where they come through the cabinet and where the airline runs. If anybody has any more pics of that would be great.