PDA

View Full Version : New tool - how to fess up to LOML?

Dan Oelke
05-05-2005, 3:40 PM
Ok - the UPS tracking page shows that my latest purchase (a General Fence to replace the Craftsman fence I have tolerated for so long) is delivered. The LOML is about to arrive home and find it on the front porch. I haven't confessed to this purchase and since I can't get home until late tonight there is no hiding it.

Any suggestions?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-05-2005, 3:42 PM
Dan, got any neighbors?? Friends that can go grab it?

If all else fails, call and leave a message and say you are expecting a package that is really important for you. Drama it out about how excited you are... she won't rain on your parade :)

Jerry Clark
05-05-2005, 3:45 PM
Dan, it is easy, Thank her for the early Father's Day present suprise! :cool: To late for Christmas and the Easter Bunny would never do that! :p

Tim Morton
05-05-2005, 3:53 PM
Ok - the UPS tracking page shows that my latest purchase (a General Fence to replace the Craftsman fence I have tolerated for so long) is delivered. The LOML is about to arrive home and find it on the front porch. I haven't confessed to this purchase and since I can't get home until late tonight there is no hiding it.

Any suggestions?

You want one of us to start a thread about the inherent dangers of the craftsman fence? Then you could show it to her, and ask if a couple hundred bucks is not worth losing your hand over? Leave it for her to determine the value of a human hand.

You do know she is going to kill you don't you?:D:D

John Shuk
05-05-2005, 3:54 PM
Don't worry it is easier to get forgiveness than it is permission. You did the right thing. Just say "Oh yeah I forgot to tell you about that. By the way how was your day dear? I hear (insert her favorite clothing store here) is having a sale. Go check it out." I would draw the line at offering to wait while she tries stuff on though. Good luck!
John

Dan Oelke
05-05-2005, 3:54 PM
Dan, got any neighbors?? Friends that can go grab it?

Well there is a fellow creeker that lives just a couple of miles up the road.... however, I might not get it back.:(

I like the drama angle. A few sobs or tears on her part usually gets me to do whatever it is she wants, so maybe I'll try it. :rolleyes:

Scott Loven
05-05-2005, 4:04 PM
Have it delivered to work next time? Tell her how much more safe your saw will be? Tell her about all the great things that you can make now? That you did it for her? That you are the man, and thats the way things are going to be around here from now on!:eek: (I havent used the last one yet, let me know how it goes)
Scott

Colin Gilkes
05-05-2005, 4:04 PM
The only reason I set myself up in business installing kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms was the fact that I could run amok with the tool catalogue with the response "I need it for the business dear".

She didn't clock the fact that I bought two Incra Jigs. Because I was impatient waiting Incra Jig Ultra Super System I bought the Incra Jig Ultra Lite as a stop gap:D

Michael Gabbay
05-05-2005, 4:17 PM
Dan - Mother's Day is Sunday. A very nice present for her should be in order! Maybe dinner out tonight.

Mike

John Hart
05-05-2005, 4:17 PM
Dan,

Tell her it's not yours. Tell her that you are receiving it for a friend because some wives are not so understanding and you're trying to help out. This ought to give you a Stay of Execution at least til you got out of range :D

Mark Singer
05-05-2005, 4:19 PM
The truth is always the best policy!

So just tell her you don't know how it got here???:)

Tom Pritchard
05-05-2005, 4:20 PM
Tell her your going to use it to build the dog house your going to sleep in for the next few weeks!! :D

Frank Pellow
05-05-2005, 4:23 PM
You want one of us to start a thread about the inherent dangers of the craftsman fence? Then you could show it to her, and ask if a couple hundred bucks is not worth losing your hand over? Leave it for her to determine the value of a human hand.

Hey that is what I was going to suggest :D (and there is a lot of truth to it).

Jim O'Dell
05-05-2005, 4:24 PM
Say, "Dear, you didn't open that package that arrived today did you?" As long as the answer is no, say good...that's your 'insert occasion here' present. (Mother's Day is upon us). Then all you have to do is find a present that fits the box!!! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-05-2005, 4:30 PM
Dan....if she finds it first.....you won't have to 'fess up...she'll already know. Try a lot of groveling........whimpering......begging..."Please don't hit me again, Dear"......you are sunk! :eek: :D

Jim Dannels
05-05-2005, 4:38 PM
What I usually do is cuss and complain a lot, show the wife the really neat replacement. Get her out in the shop and show her how bad it really is, then she decides to buy it:D .

Did that with a really sorry hand miter once, 30 minutes of helping me and she told me to pick up the power unit on the way home from work the next night.

But Now best Fess up and take yer medicine!

Glenn Clabo
05-05-2005, 5:25 PM
Ya screwed up...if you bought a diamond a few days before you bought your tool...easy street! Now it has to be bigger AND you have to deliver on your knees!

Jim Hager
05-05-2005, 5:44 PM
My wife wanted to know what was so funny and I showed her the thread and read her some of the posts.

She wanted to know if there was room for a bed in your shop? You might also want to clear out a spot for a refrigerator and a hot plate. Good luck explaining this one to SWMBO. You've done it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Wolf
05-05-2005, 6:06 PM
Just tell her to kiss off,.............................than start begging for forgivness.

Richard

Dave Wright #2
05-05-2005, 6:28 PM
Waitwaitwait. It's a replacement part. The current fence doesn't work well, is dangerous, and is probably worn out anyway. The new one is simply a cost-effective replacement part. If the motor went out on the saw you wouldn't have to discuss the replacement, right?

It would, nevertheless, be a good idea to acknowledge the size of the purchase, tell her working with such a pleasant and accurate tool will improve the quality of your shop time, and ask her what she wants you to build next. FWIW, swapping out my Jetlock fence for a Bies was one of the best purchases I ever made.

Michael Gibbons
05-05-2005, 6:41 PM
Sneak up behind her, grab her around her waist then nibble on her ear. Then if she bucks like a bronco, just hang on till she tires out. Then take your new toy to the shop and play with it.

Bob Reda
05-05-2005, 7:02 PM
I like the one that I was selected to do a product review!!

JayStPeter
05-05-2005, 7:12 PM
I use a strategy learned from my 5 year old.

"I DID tell you about that."

Jay

Dale Rodabaugh
05-05-2005, 7:25 PM
Looks like Dan is in big trouble.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

Mark Blumer
05-05-2005, 7:27 PM
Tell her that you told her about that purchase months ago and she must have forgotten the conversation. The company backordered the part and you finally got it after waiting all this time.

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Tim Morton
05-05-2005, 7:48 PM
You could turn it around and just THANK her over and over again for getting you a gift that was so thoughtful, go on to tell her that you don't deserve such a thoughtful wife and you will be certain to make it up to her at HER next gift getting holiday.:D( I threw in TWO ideas cuz i have so much practice in this kind of thing).....

Of course she is STILL going to kill you:cool:

Gary Max
05-05-2005, 8:13 PM
Be a MAN
Stop on the way home and buy her Flowers and a box of Candy.
It's hard for the wife to hit you if her hands are full of gifts.

bill walton
05-05-2005, 8:22 PM
you're digging up all the good excuses. At our home near Titusville, where I'm slowly migrating all my stuff from the FL Keys, sits a new MM16 that she doesn't know about yet. We're headed up there over Memorial Day weekend so I've been doing a lot of thinking along these lines. It was delivered on my last solo visit, the timing was purely coincidental, and I left it partly dirty and greasy. Maybe I can say I bought it used and non-functional and gradually clean it up and work on it and eureka!, fire it up just before we leave for home. I'll post pictures ... of something.:cool:

Tim Morton
05-05-2005, 8:43 PM
you're digging up all the good excuses. At our home near Titusville, where I'm slowly migrating all my stuff from the FL Keys, sits a new MM16 that she doesn't know about yet. We're headed up there over Memorial Day weekend so I've been doing a lot of thinking along these lines. It was delivered on my last solo visit, the timing was purely coincidental, and I left it partly dirty and greasy. Maybe I can say I bought it used and non-functional and gradually clean it up and work on it and eureka!, fire it up just before we leave for home. I'll post pictures ... of something.:cool:

I'll have to admit, the bandsaw project I recently completed was partly influenced by using the $295 sale price as being "most of the cost" of the bandsaw and I had to build a base myself. I'm not sure she would have been so supportive of me wheeling in a shiny new 18' rikon or MM16:D I like the "bought it in non-working condtion" line, and in fact used JUST that line when I dragged home my PM 8" jointer...course I had the rust on the beds to proove it.:cool:

Dan Oelke
05-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Well - I'm home. I've confessed. I've begged forgivness. Maybe it's been granted.... I did just show her this thread. She laughed at it so I think I'm safe.

Then she came across the comment of I'm a man and that's the way it's going to be. Her response was that I'm going to have a hard time stating that once she's removed my manhood! :eek: I quickly backpedled and made sure she knew it wasn't my statement. (hint to the rest of you - do not try that line with your wife!!!)

Maybe sleeping in the shop tonight isn't such a bad idea......

Actually I think I'm ok. The main trigger for this was seeing that she had ripped a small oak board that was burned really bad. That tells me that the fence wasn't parallel to the blade. That's asking for a kickback. I will measure about 5 times to make sure that the fence is parallel every time I move it. I know she doesn't and that scares me. So - a "real" fence is now here.... unfortunately it's probably going to sit in the box for the next week or more while I finish classwork that I need to do. <sigh> At least I can talk about it here with you guys.

Frank Pellow
05-06-2005, 7:16 AM
The main trigger for this was seeing that she had ripped a small oak board that was burned really bad. That tells me that the fence wasn't parallel to the blade. That's asking for a kickback. I will measure about 5 times to make sure that the fence is parallel every time I move it. I know she doesn't and that scares me. So - a "real" fence is now here....
See, I told you that you bought the new fence for safety. And, even better, it is something that you bought for the safety of your wife.

Kevin Beck
05-06-2005, 10:04 AM

Well Bill old buddy old pal, since I only live an hour or so away if you'll PM me with the address I'll go over and pick up your MM16 and keep it at my place so your wife won't see it. And I can tell my wife I'm just keeping it for a friend so I won't get in trouble either ( a win/win situation if ever there was one) :D