PDA

View Full Version : Scmi si 150

Jim Barrett
02-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Anyone familiar with this model, 1998 short slider (60"), 3 phase. Comes with a VFD converter wants $2800...this is about the longest slider I can fit in my shop...assume can't do dado's so would have to come up with a solution...

Jim

David Kumm
02-24-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't know about the dado thing but the older SCMI are a nice well built saw. Not quite as smooth as newer but still just fine. The older scm sliding tables rolled back beyond the blade so you can get some extra range. It is a benefit if you can cut 60x60 baltic birch. If it is running on a vfd the wiring for the switches must have been changed so make sure that is how he ran it. The vfd requires bypassing the existing controls. Dave

Jim Barrett
02-24-2013, 12:24 PM
If it is running on a vfd the wiring for the switches must have been changed so make sure that is how he ran it. The vfd requires bypassing the existing controls. Dave

Can you explain further...not familiar with VFD's

Jim

J.R. Rutter
02-24-2013, 12:53 PM
If this is in Bellingham, I probably know the owner. I have seen the saw and it seems to be in good condition.

Jim Barrett
02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes, belongs to Abe...do you know him?

J.R. Rutter
02-24-2013, 1:15 PM
Yes - he worked for me for 6 months or so while his cabinet business was getting off the ground. I helped with the VFD setup - just to get it running right. Not sure if he ever wired in the original controls...

Jim Barrett
02-24-2013, 2:01 PM
As far as "rewiring" the saw...from what I have quickly read is that there should be no switches between the VFD and the motor? So the saw on/off would be controlled by turning off the VFD? If that is the case then a remote switch would work...maybe install a contractor and operate from a switch on the saw? Is this correct?

Jim

J.R. Rutter
02-24-2013, 5:44 PM
There should be a way to wire the switches into the VFD to use as remote on/off. It has been many years since I've done this, but should be possible. So the control wires go to the low voltage accessory inputs on the VFD, and the VFD is wired directly to the motor. The nice thing about the more sophisticated control of a VFD is that you can program ramp up (as a soft start) and also motor braking times.

Jim Barrett
02-24-2013, 6:03 PM
There should be a way to wire the switches into the VFD to use as remote on/off. It has been many years since I've done this, but should be possible. So the control wires go to the low voltage accessory inputs on the VFD, and the VFD is wired directly to the motor. The nice thing about the more sophisticated control of a VFD is that you can program ramp up (as a soft start) and also motor braking times.

I spoke to Abe and he told me he did rewire the switches so it does exactly what you are saying...he has it set up for a 3 second start and 3 second or so shutdown...I am going to see the saw on Tuesday.
Thanks for the information!

Jim

J.R. Rutter
02-24-2013, 7:38 PM
Good luck. Abe is a good guy.

David Kumm
02-24-2013, 7:45 PM
Should be a great saw. Most are spec'd with a 1" arbor. In build quality they are as heavy or heavier than any short stroke out there today. Dave

Jim Barrett
02-24-2013, 7:54 PM
Good luck. Abe is a good guy.

I have sold Abe some machinery before...12" jointer and an Oneida DC....I may trade him back for the Oneida DC...should never have sold it and he is willing to take a Grizzly 2hp DC and cash for the Oneida...we'll see ;)

Jim Barrett
02-24-2013, 7:55 PM
Should be a great saw. Most are spec'd with a 1" arbor. In build quality they are as heavy or heavier than any short stroke out there today. Dave

Anything I should look for in the slider...? It sounds like it is a pretty clean saw....

Jim