PDA

View Full Version : New handles for old tools?

Jerry Ingraham
05-05-2005, 2:19 PM
I have a set of Sorby chisels that I bought form Grizzly about 6 yrs ago when I bought my lathe. They have short handles and I'm wondering if, in general, tools can be rehandled? I mean, is there enough tang length in the factory made tools like that to allow insertion into a home-turned handle? I'd hate to remove one only to find out otherwise! I also am looking for a recommendation for a primary use bowl gouge-size and brand. Any help, as usual, is greatly appreciated!

Jerry

Steve Inniss
05-05-2005, 4:46 PM
Jerry,

Yes, there will be enough tang there. It's a worthwhile improvement on most tools.

1/2" would be the best all-around bowl gouge size, -Sorby, Henry Taylor, Crown's Ellsworth. Since you like to make your own handles(maybe) LV has P&N turning tools that are sold without a handle. I think you can get a 1/2" bowl gouge for $30 or so.

-Steve

Dennis Peacock
05-06-2005, 5:51 PM
Jerry,

I use the P&N 1/2" bowl gouge from LV that comes unhandled. It was less than $30 and I had wood in the shop and turned a Birdseye Maple tool handle for it. I turned it to a shape that was comfortable for my hands and long enough for some added "leverage". My tool handle is about 16" long. If you make the tool handle too long, it can bump into the lathe tailstock. DAMHIKT!!!! :rolleyes: