PDA

View Full Version : Square boring bars/captured system

Steve Rost
02-24-2013, 8:35 AM
This summer I made my own captured deep hollowing system and have been trying it out. I made a 1 1/4 inch round bar and it works well. To control rotational force I added an out rigger, and it was an improvement. My question is, is anyone using square boring bars. In a captured system there would be no need for an outrigger to control rotational force. My thinking is a trap with the top and bottom bars round would reduce drag too. Your thoughts appreciated.

charlie knighton
02-24-2013, 10:38 AM
the first boring bars for the elbo tool were square, added with a 1 inch square tool rest it works very well, the reason for the round bars is that the square edge catches on the opening that you hollow thru, so the opening can be like 1 1/4 but 1 1/2 to 2 inches work a whole lot better

i have been doing spittoon forms and the square boring bars are not limiting....i have not upgraded to the round bar that is offered now

Curt Fuller
02-24-2013, 11:41 AM
What you're talking about is very similar, at least in concept, to the Carter Hollow Roller hollowing system. http://www.carterproducts.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=85 I was able to try it at the Craftsupplies SuperWednesday event at last year's Utah Symposium and was very impressed by how well it worked and how easy it was to control.