PDA

View Full Version : Self Centering vice on a laser

Frank barry
02-24-2013, 4:42 AM
Good Morning all

This might be a crazy question but here goes

As I have a rotary engraver and find my self centering priceless for small parts

I see no reason why you couldn’t use one on a laser engraver has anyone tried one and did it work

Frank

Rodne Gold
02-24-2013, 5:35 AM
It's easier to make templates , but apart from that a lot of lasers also have an option to start at the centre of an item/engraving and it's pretty easy to find the centre of anything.

Joe Hillmann
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
I tried using a self centering vise in my CO2. It lasted about 2 hours before I decided templates, measuring and blue tape led to better results.

Gary Hair
02-26-2013, 12:38 AM
I have one made for pen-makers and use it quite often. It sits with one corner at 0,0 and I know exactly where the middle of the vise is and can draw around that in Corel. It works very well for items that don't sit well on the bed of the laser and need a bit of clamping - Leathermen, for example. I also used it on a batch of 50 knives that I wanted the engraving to be in exactly the same place. I's sure there are other ways to do what I did, but the S.C. vise made it easy for me.

Gary

P.S. Vise = clamping device. Vice = a moral depravity or corruption (from M-W.com)

Rodne Gold
02-26-2013, 12:55 AM
P.S. Vise = clamping device. Vice = a moral depravity or corruption (from M-W.com)

Yeh , but that would be a self centered vice :)

Martin Boekers
02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Vice = a moral depravity or corruption (from M-W.com)

Sooooooo.....a Vice- President is in charge of corruption? :)

Gary Hair
02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Sooooooo.....a Vice- President is in charge of corruption? :)

I can't reply to that without turning this into a political discussion so I'll leave your statement as it stands and simply say that I wholeheartedly agree...

Richard Coers
02-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I prefer sheets or pieces of plywood with V grooves cut in them. Cut on the table saw, they run square and perpendicular to the edges of the plywood. Once made a sheet that carried 96 ink pen barrels on one piece of plywood. For one off templates like that, I put in a piece of wood dowel in the V groove as a final check before plopping down the $100 pen.

Gary Hair
03-03-2013, 6:57 PM
255981Here is a pic of one of the 21 Leatherman I lasered today. The SC vise made this very quick and an easy setup. This customer brings me between 15 and 25 Leatherman several times a year.

ray hampton
03-03-2013, 9:35 PM
Gary

A Vice will clamp you down , ask Viceroy if you do not believe me