PDA

View Full Version : Zig Zag Chair-Rietveld

Chris Yarish
05-05-2005, 1:52 PM
Has anyone had any experiences making this chair?
I would like to replicate it, but am debating whether or not I want to laminate my wood, or use a veneered plywood.
Obviously there are pro's and con's of using both, but I'm just looking for feedback from anyone.
If anyone responds, I'll inquire further into design details.

Thanks

http://www.cf-direct.co.uk/images/arietveldwebs/rietchairzigR.jpg

Mark Singer
05-05-2005, 3:18 PM
Welcome,
There is a previous post on this if you search it should pop up..
Please use you real first and last name per our terms of service.

Mark Singer
05-05-2005, 3:23 PM
Here you go:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16622&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Rietveld

Jamie Buxton
05-05-2005, 11:05 PM
I'd build it with solid lumber, for two reasons. First, this chair has horrible stresses at the joints. I think solid hardwood would be less likely to let the fasteners pull through the material. Second, the chair has lots of exposed edges. Using solid lumber would save you from having to edgeband the edges with solid edging.

If you must use plywood, at least go with an all-hardwood plywood like Baltic Birch or Finn-ply. There would be more strength for the fasteners, and the edge can be left exposed.

Chris Yarish
05-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Here you go:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16622&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Rietveld

I actually checked that out already.
I'm a beginner woodworker, but an aspiring designer. The Zig Zag chair is something I hoped to replicate just for fun and form.

My specific questions were dealing with the angles involved on seat, "leg" and foot of the chair, suggested stock thickness, tapers and widths of the same pieces, and...oddly, how to cut the angles for the joints. They seem too steep for a table saw (at least for mine, and old General--my plate guard pops up from underneath where the splitter anchors in when I angle it beyond 30 degrees).

Thanks in advance for any possible suggestions. I have yet to see the real thing.

Pete Lamberty
05-06-2005, 4:08 PM
Hi Chris, In order to cut the angles I think that you will have to stand the board straight up and run it along the fence. This way you can get the angles you need. This technique can be kind of tricky. You first need to clamp a large piece of plywood to the fence. The plywood will be sticking straight up. Now you can set the saw blade to the angle you need. I would guess 22 and a half degrees. Two of these put togther would be 45 degrees. Right? you also may need a zero clearance insert because the board/fence will be right against the saw blade. I hope that you can picture what I am trying to describe. This may not be the best explanation. :D

Jim Becker
05-06-2005, 4:17 PM
Consistent with Pete's recommendation, I think you really need to make a sled that rides on the saw fence to carry the boards for the angle cuts...similar to what you would use for making simple raised panels on the table saw. This insures not only safely, but also keeps the board clamped absolutely in position for a joinery cut that will be true. You don't want any gaps for these joints, not just for aesthetics, but also for strength.

Chris Yarish
05-06-2005, 4:54 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I have an idea of what you're both describing. I just have to take my time and make the appropriate jigs.

So what is a suggested stock thickness?
I was guessing about one and a half inches.

...and how about the size? I've pulled some dimensions off the net, but they are usually height, width, and depth only...and I've noticed that the chair has a taper on the seat, "leg" and foot. This is obviously to make it a less imposing piece while maximizing surface contact areas for appropriate joinery.

Thanks again for the replies.

Rick Lizek
05-08-2005, 4:26 PM
Get the book mentioned in the link. It's a great book with construction details on many other Rietveld pieces and historical info. The chair is made of 20 mm thick material and there sre subtle details the other pictures fail to do justice. There was also an arm version with cusions.

John Stevens
05-09-2005, 9:27 AM
Get the book mentioned in the link. It's a great book with construction details on many other Rietveld pieces and historical info.

Rick, I must be having a bad day for reading comprehension. Where is the mention of the book in the other thread? Thanks in advance, I really like De Stijl.

Rick Lizek
05-09-2005, 11:48 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/9068682806/qid=1115653369/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-8915627-2620747
Punch Rietveld in the amazon book search if the link doesn't work. It's a great book! Lots of measured drawings and construction info on many different pieces.
cambiumbooks.com is a great site. They are linked to amazon who keeps their inventory so the search is more focused on wood and design stuff. In fact buy it through Cambium Books as they are the ones who initiated the stocking of it. Amazon is their warehouse so to speak.

Chris Yarish
05-09-2005, 1:51 PM
Get the book mentioned in the link. It's a great book with construction details on many other Rietveld pieces and historical info. The chair is made of 20 mm thick material and there sre subtle details the other pictures fail to do justice. There was also an arm version with cusions.

I was hoping that I could utilize this free forum as a resource to escape having to purchase the entire book for one design, as well as for the acquisition of meaningful construction advice from those who have experienced it first hand.

I guess I'll have to buy the book.