PDA

View Full Version : Materials for mass Templates

Nathan Shaffer
02-23-2013, 9:29 PM
Hello All,
Could someone suggest a cheap material that could be used to make templates/jigs for mass engraving?

Thank you,
Nathan

Dan Hintz
02-23-2013, 9:32 PM
Acrylic, cardboard, MDF, and so on...

Nathan Shaffer
02-24-2013, 2:38 AM
Thank you, I am trying to gather my thoughts on how to make repeatability easiest and most cost effective.on

Another question:
Can anyone tell me what and how exactly I need to do to start a small business? IE taxes, loans, register business name, and an thing else that might be important
This might be a complication, I live in California, but am Active Duty living on base. Any suggestions or information would be great.

Thank you,
Nathan

about to purchase:
ULS 2.30

Dan Hintz
02-24-2013, 9:26 AM
Can anyone tell me what and how exactly I need to do to start a small business? IE taxes, loans, register business name, and an thing else that might be important
Get a lawyer, get an accountant, or at the very least, Google... but first, get an idea of what your business will be doing.

Mike Troncalli
02-24-2013, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't worry right now about a lawyer or accountant. (they could be a very expensive upfront cost you may not need right now) But if you have no experience starting or running a business you might want to see if there are any local or state run small business associations nearby. They will know what permits, certifications, etc. that you will need to have for your state, city, etc.

Most important is a business plan. As Dan Hintz has said, go to google.... research, research, research... and also like he said.. get an idea of what your business will be doing. The majority of small business failures are due to the fact that the owners do not know anything about the business they are running.

Also, I am assuming from your post that you are a member of our armed forces ? If so, then thank you for your service to our country. . .

Guy Hilliard
02-24-2013, 10:35 AM
As you are in the US take a look at http://www.score.org/ and http://www.sba.gov/. They can help with all your business questions

john swank
02-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Definitely look at score. There is a section with a lot of spreadsheets for business plans, etc.

Roy Nielsen
02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
This might be a complication, I live in California, but am Active Duty living on base. Any suggestions or information would be great.

Nathan,

Go visit your base Legal office. At the very least, they can tell you what you can/can't do in your base housing; also, you'll likely need to do off-duty employment paperwork. They might also be able to point you to resources for business.

Good luck,
Roy

Mike Null
02-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Roy

There have been countless threads on this forum regarding the start up issues for a new business. I'd advise searching Sawmill Creek.

Roy Nielsen
02-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Roy

There have been countless threads on this forum regarding the start up issues for a new business. I'd advise searching Sawmill Creek.

Mike,

The O.P. will likely have some extra issues dealing with being Active Duty military and living in military housing. Thus my recommendation to visit his military legal office, which is free for him, so that he stays out of trouble with the military. His legal office MAY also be able to provide some limited advice on the business side.

My apologies if there have been a great many posts on the military/military housing side of business.

Roy

Mike Null
02-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Roy

Sorry for the confusion. In my haste I responded to you instead of the OP as intended. You are absolutely right and I did not mean to imply otherwise.

Roy Nielsen
02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Mike,

No problem, understand Mods are busy and can make mistakes, too.

Josiah Gallo
02-24-2013, 10:07 PM
I'd recommend searching these forums for tips and advise on starting out. Also, a business plan is good, but skip most of it (if you download a template off the internet). Usually most of them are a waste of time. Focus on the parts about identifying customers and markets, skip the parts about price, costs, venture capital etc etc. Identify your strengths (do a SWOT analysis). Figure out what you can do better than others. Get to know your competitors, and ask them what they charge, etc. Be upfront, most will tell you and work with you and may even turn out to be strategic partners. Join your Chamber, may be someone willing to give more advice based on your location. Once you get going, probably want to register with secretary of state, get quickbooks.

For templates/jigs, Home Depot sells an MDF board that I have found always lays flat and is the cheapest material - way cheaper than acrylic, though a little more likely to get beat up and break after a year or so. They will cut it down to your bed size for you as well.

AL Ursich
02-25-2013, 7:27 PM
Welcome to the Engraving Forum. Good advice Legal Office and Housing Office... Be sure you don't get any issues. I only lived in Housing for 3 of my 20.

Business Plan, Great Idea... You can Revise it as you go, I have. Doing it as a Business and you do have excellent Tax Advantages as far as Equipment Purchased and Materials. I was lucky and my local H&R Block office has a Business Expert and she has trained me over the years...

Once you get a Business setup you can start requesting catalogs from Johnson Plastic, JDS, and Laser Bits. Great Source of blanks and ideas.

I use a CarveWright, the little hobby CNC. You should look over the CarveWright Forum as a few Military Members have had excellent results making stuff. The NOISE might be an issue being in Housing.... It is as noisy as a Hand Held Router.

You have come to the right place to ask... Plus a few searches here will turn up a bunch of threads that will get you thinking about more questions...

Do you have a Laser yet?

I spent 13 years in San Diego, retired in 95.

Good Luck,

AL FCC(SW)