PDA

View Full Version : Repainting a motorcycle....flame decals....

Dennis Peacock
02-23-2013, 6:19 PM
I would like to repaint my son's motorcycle. I was wondering how one would remove the ghost flame decals on the tank and both fenders. Experiences and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Biff Johnson
02-23-2013, 8:57 PM
I am not a body/paint man but I've worked around a few. To remove decals I've seen them use several methods:

-Peeling off the decals by heating with a heat gun, plastic razor blade sometimes
-Using an air or electric powered eraser wheel
-Buffing them off
-Sanding them off. Obviously not what you want if you are trying to save the paint.

You may have to deal with the image of the decal still being visible in the paint because of sun fade.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2013, 9:15 PM
Heat gun to remove the plastic. Probably will end up leaving a lot of adhesive behind. Lacquer thinner does a pretty good job on what's left since you'll be repainting.

Tim Morton
02-24-2013, 10:47 AM
If you brought this to my signshop to work on , i would use a heat gun to remove the decals...and then some adhesive remover if there was glue residue left behind.

http://www.rapidtac.com/rapid-remover.html

John Coloccia
02-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Isn't a heat gun a bit dangerous on a gas tank?

Shawn Pixley
02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
In my younger days, I repainted / customized motorcycle tanks (Harley Sportsters). I would try using Orange oil or Goof-off to remove the decal clean the residue. For what I used to do, we completely stripped the tanks and reprimed.

Dennis Peacock
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Well, #3 son has decided that he wants us to repaint the bike....both fenders, both side covers, and the gas tank. I have no clue about painting an automotive type finish. I've done a lot of spraying in my time of lacquer, shellac, polyurethane, and even 2-part poly finishes in my old Air Force days. I guess I'll need to educate myself on the types of paint I could choose from, but I struggle with all the choices of paints out there. I'd just like a simple paint and top with clear. I guess I need to do a lot more homework huh.?

David Weaver
02-25-2013, 11:06 AM

No problem as long as it's full (completely full) and the cap is on it.

In the days people used to fix things instead of throwing them away (especially longer term machines, like tractors), welding a gas tank with gasoline in it wasn't uncommon, but it's supposed to be absolutely full to do it.

I'm not advocating that anyone should do that, though.

Shawn Pixley
02-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Well, #3 son has decided that he wants us to repaint the bike....both fenders, both side covers, and the gas tank. I have no clue about painting an automotive type finish...but I struggle with all the choices of paints out there. I'd just like a simple paint and top with clear. I guess I need to do a lot more homework huh.?

Automotive laquer - easy, peasy. Prep is everything though...

John Coloccia
02-25-2013, 10:22 PM
No problem as long as it's full (completely full) and the cap is on it.

In the days people used to fix things instead of throwing them away (especially longer term machines, like tractors), welding a gas tank with gasoline in it wasn't uncommon, but it's supposed to be absolutely full to do it.

I'm not advocating that anyone should do that, though.

That can actually make it worse. There are always nooks and crannies where the liquid doesn't fill up, and that will confine any vapor and potentially make an even more dangerous situation. Happens all the time with people cutting the top off of 50 gallon drums filled with water. The vapor is the dangerous part.

David Weaver
02-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Yeah, the vapor is dangerous, but it can't be too rich of a vapor or it won't ignite.

The idea behind filling the tank is probably to make sure that there is no vapor where you're welding and there's lots of liquid for heat dissipation.

I'm sure very few people do that now, but it used to be common practice and the tanks weren't exploding all over the place.

What's the issue with water barrels, is it steam or is there something combustible in them?

John Coloccia
02-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Yeah, the vapor is dangerous, but it can't be too rich of a vapor or it won't ignite.

The idea behind filling the tank is probably to make sure that there is no vapor where you're welding and there's lots of liquid for heat dissipation.

I'm sure very few people do that now, but it used to be common practice and the tanks weren't exploding all over the place.

What's the issue with water barrels, is it steam or is there something combustible in them?

Old oil drums, not water. It doesn't really mater how well you clean them out. You could steam clean them if you wanted to, but the metal will still leach out vapor and go boom...and they do. You're right about the liquid. The way a pro will do it (if they don't have deheader) is fill it about 1/2 way with water, and make all of their cuts below the water line with the barrel on it's side. Where you run into trouble is filling it up and then trying to cut around the top. The water never completely fills the barrel and it just confines any explosive vapor to a small area.

The other classic way of doing it is purging the tank with some inert gas while you cut because that will completely fill the tank. Exhaust fumes are a pretty classic way of purging a barrel.

Tim Morton
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM

i was assuming the tank was empty and clean and ready for paint.