PDA

View Full Version : I need you help in trimming my router table dados.

Brad Cambell
02-23-2013, 6:04 PM
I am in the process of constructing my router table. I have completed the carcass and have built the table top. I have cut out the plate and dados for the t-track and miter slot. I just glued the laminate to the top.

My dilemma is that my laminate trimming bit isn't deep enough. My shallowest dado is a little shy of 1/2". What options do I have? I have a dremel and a D-handled router. I will be looking for router bits that will work but I thought I'd ask while I'm looking.

Thanks

Ray Newman
02-23-2013, 6:46 PM
dado clean out router bits:

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v102-0802b/best_sellers

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/vp11-1304b/pc_-_straight_bits

Joe Scharle
02-23-2013, 6:46 PM
Since you and do things a little differently, I'm just guessing based on your narrative. First, I lay down the laminate, then fire up the router. So-
My confusion is that you only need to get the bearing below the laminate to cut it flush. What am I not seeing here?

Brad Cambell
02-23-2013, 6:51 PM
The problem is that the distance from the top of laminate to the bottom of the dado is less than the distance from the bottom of the screw to the cutter of my router bit. The screw will bottom out on my dados before my cutter contacts the laminate.

I've never done this before. I didn't know whether a dado blade or a router bit would cut cut cleanly through laminate.

Ray Newman
02-23-2013, 7:15 PM
I think I understand your problem. Not sure though.

Sounds like you need a way to raise the router above the stock and still have an edge to guide the bit to clean out and deepen the dado??

Purchase a bearing guided dado cleanout router bit.

Place some stock on each side of the edge of the dado. Secure with clamps or double sided tape.

This will provide enough of an edge for the bearing to ride against, lower the bit to the proper depth to 1st cut through the laminate and then if necessary, re-cut the dado to needed depth.

glenn bradley
02-23-2013, 8:07 PM
The problem sounds as though you only have the depth of the slot to carry the bearing assembly and enough of the cutter to allow you to flush trim using the sides of the existing dado. I'm thinking you have learned something through this exercise, now let's see if we can get you out of it. Amana carries miniature router bits including a flush trim bit. Although a solution to your problem is not their design. I believe the distance between the tip of the bit and where the cutting edge starts is less than 3/8". Would this fit?

255245 . 255246

These are 1/4" shaft bits with a 3/16" diameter bearing. Based on that you can see the potential dimensions.

Robert Willing
02-23-2013, 8:22 PM
Why don't you set up a fence using a straight board clamped to the table and use a straight router bit to trim the laminate hanging over into the slot.

Brad Cambell
02-23-2013, 8:32 PM
The problem sounds as though you only have the depth of the slot to carry the bearing assembly and enough of the cutter to allow you to flush trim using the sides of the existing dado. I'm thinking you have learned something through this exercise, now let's see if we can get you out of it.

Yes, thank you for explaining it better than I was. Yes, I do not have enough depth to carry the bearing and have the cutter contact the laminate. The cutters do not contact the laminate before the bearing bottoms out in the dado.

Yes, I am new to wood working and I get in a pickle because I did not think far enough ahead in the construction process. I am learning something every time I make something. (This is one thing I like about wood working).

Thank you for helping me trying to find a solution. I knew there were people that have either done this or would know how to climb out from the hole I am in.

john bateman
02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
You just need a laminate trim bit that doesn't use a bearing.
http://www.ipgandm.com/Flush-Trim-Dado-Sol-Carb/productinfo/3305/

Brad Cambell
02-23-2013, 10:08 PM
That's what I was thinking. I believe I can get very close with a straight edge but what would you finish with, a dremel? Sand paper?

Glen, yes, 3/8" is the closest dado that I have.

Brad Cambell
02-23-2013, 11:06 PM
That looks like it would be just the ticket I need. You guys are amazing.

johnny means
02-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Every shop I've ever worked in, including mine keeps a router bit with the screw ground down to almost nothing just for these occasions. Of course there are always solid carbide bearing less bits, but sometimes those won't do. Once the screw is ground down the bearing can never be removed or tightened, so it becomes a specialty bit, only used when nothing else will work.

Brad Cambell
02-23-2013, 11:19 PM
I believe we have a winner!!!

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/2989/laminate-trim-router-bits

Thank you, everyone!!!