PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a rolling toolbox

Ellen Benkin
02-23-2013, 1:02 PM
I'm going to be working in a co-op workshop and want to store my tools in a rolling toolbox. I do not intend to build one so I want to buy something available. I know Stanley makes this one (at Home Depot) but I wonder if there are others availablle.255199

johnny means
02-23-2013, 1:33 PM
I have been through many a variation of tool boxes. IMO, anything you can't carry isn't feasible. Imagine trying to get that thing into your car or up some stairs once it's chocked full of tools. I eventually settled on a set of smaller bags that can be organized into different job levels.

Bag one is install bag, drills, bits, chisels, small handsaw,measuring and marking.

Bag two is for slightly more complex site work, jigsaw, multitool, small demo tools.

Bag three is a rolling bag that, with the handle extended, serves as a hand truck for the first two. This bag contains heavier demo, reciprocating saw, some mechanical tools, flush cut saw, grinder.

These first three units stacked together are about the size and shape of the tool box you pictured.

Need to hang a cabinet, I grab bag one. Installing kitchen 1 and 2. Finishing a basement 1,2 and 3. I also have a plumbing box and an electricians bag.

Ellen Benkin
02-23-2013, 5:10 PM
Johnny,

You make a good point. If I were going to transport this regularly it would be much too heavy when filled with tools. But my plan is to keep it in "my" space in the shared workshop and store my tools in it rather than leaving them on the workbench. I am not at all concerned with theft but I am concerned with "borrowing". The advantage of the rolling function is that I could move it from place to place within the workshop. I will probably move it and the tools separately and fill it when it is in place.

Thanks for your comments. I think the bag system is a great idea.

johnny means
02-23-2013, 5:28 PM
Ellen, not to jump off topic, but I thought I might add that I started off in a co-op shop. It was a grest experience and really helped me to build my knowledge base(even though I had already been a pro for years). Sometimes I miss working around but not with equal peers.

One of my goals is to someday start a co-op. I wouldn't mind seeing posts about your experiences and thoughts on your co-op.

Joe Scarfo
02-23-2013, 11:16 PM
I have the lower rolling box from a craftsman as well as snap on boxes... the snap on was much more expensive, but I love the craftsman. It's the model with the "grip tight" drawers... the snap on has the sliding lock which is hidden under the drawer pull and takes more effort to open.

I would scrub craigslist for a used craftsman grip latch lower unit. I love them as they're lockable, easy to organize the tools, and can move it to where it's needed.

Good luck with your choices...

Jim Matthews
02-23-2013, 11:24 PM
May I suggest you consider a rolling hardsheel suitcase?

Second hand stores often have a selection, on the cheap.
Paint your tools with a bright splash of orange, or another loud color so that ownership is obvious.

Jim Neeley
02-24-2013, 3:16 AM
Ellen,

I have owned one of those for some time and primarily use it when I'm going to take a class. Yes, it's heavy but has held up ok..

One consideration is whether or not it is wide enough to fit your longest tool. Mine is just barely long enough to fit a #6 hand plane but will not handle a Jointer (#7 or #8). Likewise it will not hold a bow saw and overall, it has limited space for long tools.

Once you consider this, it may be the perfect tool box for you.. as long as you understand its limits. :-)

Jim in Alaska

Jack Vines
02-25-2013, 2:06 PM
Watch craigslist for a Kennedy/Snap-on/MAC/Cornwell/some older Craftsman mechanic's rolling tool box. They are sturdy, have lots of drawer space, come with locks, often have cork or padded drawer liners. You should be able to find a good starter 24" wide box for $100-250. Once you discover how useful they are, you'll be buying every one you see. I've got about thirty in varying sizes.

jack vines

Jeff Monson
02-25-2013, 2:59 PM
I have the one you have pictured, it works great for small tools on the top, larger ones in the bottom, I store screws and nails in the center section. Its a very nice durable box. Dewalt has come out with a nice one also, it is very versatile with different size boxes available for it, more money of course but also a nice choice.

Joe Shinall
02-25-2013, 8:25 PM
I have that same case from Stanley. It was a nice thought but everything got jumbled up in the bottom section. So I did basically what Johnny said. I had some Dewalt tool bags laying around so I put certain tools in each for different things and stack them neatly in the bottom. Love the adjustable cubbies in the middle section and a good size tool tray in the top. I would buy another if I ever need more space when working from the truck.

I want the Bosch Lboxx system but it's expensive. One day...One flippin day...

Rich Engelhardt
02-26-2013, 7:01 AM
I run both a home shop and do onsite work.
Everything I have w/the exception of the table saw, jointer, planer and large router table is "luggable".
I have, easily, a half dozen different rolling tool boxes. Stanley, Black and Decker, Craftsman,,,,
All have advantages/disadvantages.
Weight isn't a factor with any of them since there's only so much you can cram into one.
Room is the biggest drawback since tools are all odd sizes.

What's worked out the best overall has been - the cheap plastic 10 or 12 gallon tote boxes Wal Mart has for about $5.
I also picked up a cheap two wheel dolly from Menards for about $20 when it was on sale.
I made an ovesized base for the dolly out of a scrap piece of an old hollow core door.
It's really, really, really ugly - but - it does the job. Here it is with the IR compressor on it.

I usually lay the base on the floor in the garage, then stack 4 of the plastic totes on top of it.

The nice thing about the totes is they come in different colors so I can color code roughly what's inside.
Gray for plumbing, blue for electrical, yellow for doors, etc.
I also number each one - such as Blue 1 is for painting equipment, Yellow 1 is for drop cloths,,,etc..
My wife also keeps an inventory of what's inside each tote in a spiral binder.

Another good storage device I've found is the kids school backpacks.
They're smaller and can't hold as much, but, they usually have better padding than a simple carry bag.
We're lucky enough to have a Menards fairly close.
Menards ran them in an ad & they were free after the rebate - w/a limit of 10, so I picked up 10 of them.
I use them to carry most of the heavy stuff, like batteries, fasteners, etc, or stuff that might get damaged by getting banged around, like nail guns since they have some extra padding.

Anyhow - my favorite roll around is the Black and Decker, but, they don't make it anymore.
They make a kids version of it - the model #90279
I like it because it seperates into two sections & each section has a lift out tray with a carry handle.
That makes it nice to break down to lift it or carry it up stairs.

Trademark Tools makes a similar one - Overstock dot com has it for about $50.

2nd favorite is the Craftsman. Again though, it's no longer made. I got it on closeout.
The best feature it has is one you probably wouldn't use though.
It's heavy duty & can be used as a step stool. One thing you can never have too many of on a rehab job is a step stool or step ladder.

Anyhow - HTH..