PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Yew HF

bob svoboda
02-23-2013, 1:00 PM

Made from a branch off of a friends Yew tree -pith and all. 9" tall. I feel the top/finial is rather heavy, but love the wood. The tilt is a result of my questionable photographic skills. C & C very welcome, thanks.

Allan Ferguson
02-23-2013, 2:14 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but I like it.

Chip Sutherland
02-23-2013, 2:26 PM
I like it, too. Looks like you framed a spot for something special. I like the finial....maybe, just maybe, the base of the finial is a little thick. I must confess, too, that I am not a good finial designer or turner at this time. Love the wood; never turned pacific yew.

Jason Ritchie
02-23-2013, 2:38 PM
Beautiful piece and beautiful wood! Nice work! Can you tell us about the finishing process you used?

bob svoboda
02-23-2013, 3:30 PM
Beautiful piece and beautiful wood! Nice work! Can you tell us about the finishing process you used?

Thanks. I applied 4 coats of Dewaxed Shellac, denibbed with 400grit abralon pad and then 4 coats of Wipe on Poly. Beall buffed when cured (about a week).

Ray Bell
02-23-2013, 3:49 PM
Bob, I have been away from the forum for awhile, for no particular reason, but in the few months I have been away, your turnings have improved dramatically. Very nice piece. Hope all is well on the West Side.

Dennis Ford
02-23-2013, 5:54 PM
This is a very nice piece, I like the finial as is. The form and colors look great.

Peter Blair
02-23-2013, 7:38 PM
Hey Bob. I live out on the wet coast but have never run into any Yew. Love to color. I am no where near an expert on the subject of finials so you can take my comments as those of an amateur.
IMHO the 'bulb' of the finial is a little too large along with a sort of 'chunky' to me looking base. I really like the overall look but it just might look a little better if the finial was a little longer and somewhat more delicate.
Just the musings of a turner with too much time on his hands.

Jerry Marcantel
02-23-2013, 9:26 PM
Hi Bob, the form is great. I haven't done finials yet, and probably won't. As I look at the transition at the base of the onion?, I think it shoud be cut another 1/8' narrower. Otherwise, it's a fine job.....
Question on the wood. Does this tree get large, say somewhere in the neighborhood of 6" od branches/trunk x about 6-7' long? Question is for my curiosity only........ Jerry (in Tucson)

bob svoboda
02-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Bob, I have been away from the forum for awhile, for no particular reason, but in the few months I have been away, your turnings have improved dramatically. Very nice piece. Hope all is well on the West Side.

Thanks Ray. Hello to you and Connie.

bob svoboda
02-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Hi Bob, the form is great. I haven't done finials yet, and probably won't. As I look at the transition at the base of the onion?, I think it shoud be cut another 1/8' narrower. Otherwise, it's a fine job.....
Question on the wood. Does this tree get large, say somewhere in the neighborhood of 6" od branches/trunk x about 6-7' long? Question is for my curiosity only........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Thanks Jerry. For the most part, Pacific Yew will gro to 30' - 40' and 20" diameter. It has been known to get to 60' or so in protected areas and parks. I have seen beautiful furniture and fireplace mantles made of this wood. (it's a conifer).

Jerry Marcantel
02-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks Jerry. For the most part, Pacific Yew will gro to 30' - 40' and 20" diameter. It has been known to get to 60' or so in protected areas and parks. I have seen beautiful furniture and fireplace mantles made of this wood. (it's a conifer).

It has always been my understanding that Pacific Yew was a shrub type creature like Manzanita. My interest in P Y is it's supposed to be an excellent wood for making bows. Since I still live in the stone age, and now being dissappointed in my previous knowlege of PY being small, rare and protected, it surprised me to see several people posting beautiful forms.......... Jerry (in Tucson)