PDA

View Full Version : 495 DC Beltway

Rick Moyer
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
We always avoid this area when we go down to Myrtle Beach, but this year we're going to be driving on a Sunday. 270 and 495 is the shortest rt thru the area IF traffic isn't terrible, but it always is terrible. Or is it?? For those who know the area, is it significantly less congested late morning on a Sunday?
We usually take either 81/66/17 or 15/17 to Fredericksburg, avoiding 270 and 495 traffic, but I'm thinking Sunday might be OK. The other way is about 20 miles further but saves the aggravation and lost time in traffic so it's a wash generally on most business day traffic. Anybody have some input?

Stephen Cherry
02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I drive mostly the other way- 95 to the the beltway, around the MD side to the Woodrow Wilson to No. Va. The roads now, going that direction on the Maryland side are in super shape- the Potomac bottleneck is GONE. The Va side of the beltway has some construction, but it seems that that is going to be OK also. I drive that way only occasionally.

One option would be to check WTOP as you get to Frederic, MD, and listen to the "traffic and weather together on the eights". That will let you know whether there are any problems on the beltway. An alternative route would be the George Washington Parkway to 395, which is an easy drive and more scenic, but you need to watch the signs.

Rick Moyer
02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks Stephen. We don't get east enough for the GWP or 395. Coming from Frederick MD area, or possibly further west even. Mapquest takes us down 15 to Frederick, then 270 to 495. This is the shortest mileage but often congested, so we traditionally go more SW 81/66/17 to Fredericksburg VA, or use 15 thru Leesburg and Warrenton and then down to Fredericksburg VA, then catch 95 again. Just wondering if Sunday would allow us to use 270/495.
The radio station idea might be our best option. We could decide at that point. We're not talking saving an hour, but when you're driving ten hours a little bit helps!

Don Morris
02-23-2013, 1:39 PM
That above reply is pretty good. The Virginia side improvement has been recently completed with a construction project funded by the Australians, and now has pay HOV lanes which require an "Easy Pass" which if it were crowded on a Sunday would ease your passage to the south. No Easy Pass, forget it. However, the regular lanes right alongside have been improved too, which is very nice facilitating an easier drive on wider, smooth pavement. Sunday is normally not a problem. N.B. "Normally". No matter what, at the Mixing Bowl where they all converge at 95, watch the signs. Recently the DC metro area got the #1 rating as the most congested in the country. Beat out LA, Boston, etc. That's one #1 rating I could do without. WTOP (103.5) weather and traffic on the 8's, is helpful.

Eric DeSilva
02-23-2013, 3:09 PM
I take the stretch between 95 to the north and Rt 66 all the time to get to my parents and my impression is that with the I66 interchange revamped and the HOT lanes installed, traffic seems to be moving pretty well--I wouldn't hesitate to take 270/495 because of traffic on the western side of the beltway, at least not on a Sunday morning. The place that causes me to think twice is when you get over to the Woodrow Wilson bridge, but I don't know if you are going around that far--guessing you are taking 95 south below the beltway? I do not take the HOT lanes--I could maybe see it for rush hour, but its so short as to be silly other times of the day. Unless you want to pay a buck to generally defray how much I have to pay for VA road maintenance. Obviously, if there is an accident somewhere all bets are off.

Mark Maleski
02-24-2013, 1:39 PM
For the HOT lanes, you have to make the decision to jump on them before you know if it'll be congested. I take them regardless at rush hour (having once sat next to them in traffic thinking I'd gladly pay $20 to not be sitting in traffic anymore). But one trick is that the rates go up when traffic is congested, so if you see the rate set at ~$2, definitely jump on them!

Rick Moyer
02-24-2013, 2:42 PM
That's a great tip Mark. Where do you see the rate, early enough to decide?

Tony De Masi
02-24-2013, 6:56 PM
I traveled those roads for near 30 years and if I "could" avoid them I "would" avoid them. Your alternate route of 81-66-17-95, although longer is worth the "what if" factor.

Rick Moyer
02-24-2013, 7:12 PM
Yeah I know Tony. That's why we usually went that way. I missed the turn off one time and 270 was a standstill for a while. Those were all weekdays though so that's the reason for the Sunday question.

David C. Roseman
02-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Rick, ditto the comments on road improvements. Unless the Sunday is the end of a travel holiday (when more folks are returning to the Washington, DC metro area), I wouldn't worry at all about the 270/495 section coming from the north. I take that route on Sunday afternoon fairly often. Weekday afternoons can be a different story.

David

Dick Latshaw
02-25-2013, 4:19 PM
Just hope it doesn't snow. :eek:

Rick Moyer
02-25-2013, 4:56 PM
Rick, ditto the comments on road improvements. Unless the Sunday is the end of a travel holiday (when more folks are returning to the Washington, DC metro area), I wouldn't worry at all about the 270/495 section coming from the north. I take that route on Sunday afternoon fairly often. Weekday afternoons can be a different story.

David

I don't think St. Patrick's Day is considered a travel holiday. Probably too many hungover to drive then anyway. Should be coming thru that area late morning. Probably will try it out this time. (unless it snows!)

Stephen Cherry
02-25-2013, 8:16 PM
Also, you can check the traffic cams next Sunday at around the time you expect to come through. That will let you see what the traffic would be like,