PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Belt Cleaning

Chris Teenor
05-08-2003, 3:25 PM
I need to clean one of the sanding belts from my Performax 16-32. I saw a message regarding doing this on this forum, but cannot find it. The message mentioned using Simple Green. I have this, but how long do I immerse the belt, what do I do after the immersion period? (Assume I use brush, etc.)

TIA

Joe Tonich
05-08-2003, 6:34 PM
I just use one of those rubber sticks 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x6" that they sell at ROCKLERS. I think I've even seen em at HD. I don't think you can soak those belts. I use SIMPLE GREEN on my saw blades and router bits.

Joe

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-08-2003, 7:15 PM
When my 6" X 48" belts get too dirty for the rubber stick treatment I just take them outside and use a wire brush with paint thinner (mineral spirits) to scrub them down. Works great for me.

Lee Lamb
05-08-2003, 7:45 PM
Use one of the rubber sticks. Or, if you have a dried up tube of old caulking, peel off the plastic and use the rubbery caulk - it works fine.

Terry Quiram
05-08-2003, 9:04 PM
Chris

I have soaked belts for my Woodmaster without any problems. I fill the deep sink, add some simple green and submerge the belts. Usually overnight is long enough. Use a wire bursh to remove the gum. If it doesn't all come off, then soak longer. I rinse before hanging up to dry. I have washed one belt 3 times. You could soak in a 5 gal bucket in a pinch. The belt cleaning sticks will not remove burnt in pitch.

Terry

Phil Phelps
05-08-2003, 9:14 PM
... denatured that is. I use Elmers to glue on my disks on my sander and water releases the glue. So, I've used the denatured alcohol for many years on all disks and belts. Works great.

Lee Schierer
05-09-2003, 12:21 PM
If I get a lot of pitch in my sanding drums, I grab a stiff longg bristle wire brush, turn on the drill press and brush the drum with the wire brush. Most of the embedded flakes come right off.