PDA

View Full Version : Basement floor option

Mark W Pugh
02-22-2013, 11:51 PM
I plan on redoing my basement. One of the rooms houses my fireplace insert, which is used to heat the house. Currently there is carpet in this room, and I'm tired of carpet. There is not a moisture problem. However, when the fireplace is cranked up, it can get in excess of 90 deg in this room, at least at the ceiling level. There is a drop ceiling which I plan to replace and add vents in order to dissipate some of the heat. This room is not used much. Just kind of a walk through for other parts of the basement.

So, I was looking to float an engineered hardwood floor. I'm not sure if this will hold up to the temperature and dry humidity levels. I really don't want to add a humidifier.

1. Any insight on the engineered material handling this environment? If it will, what brand do you recommend? I want something that can be refinished.

2. Not too motivated on tile, but it's not out of the realm of things. I've even thought of cleaning and polishing the concrete. Any other ideas? What would you do?

Thanks

Oh yea, there is a lot of dog traffic. I know the hardwood would get scratched, hence looking for a recommendation on a brand that can be refinished.

Bob Jones
02-23-2013, 1:58 AM
Paint or stain the concrete. My whole house is like that and we love it. Tile is also nice but more expensive and more difficult to get right. Good luck.

phil harold
02-23-2013, 5:02 AM
Oh yea, there is a lot of dog traffic. I know the hardwood would get scratched, hence looking for a recommendation on a brand that can be refinished.
not many can be refinished
I recommend VCT durable an easy to lay
here are some examples of how you can make it look
http://www.armstrong.com/project-gallery/index.asp?locale=en-us&masterGeographyId=commflram&n=4294966012

Rich Engelhardt
02-23-2013, 7:06 AM
Nine months ago I installed some "peel and stick" groutable vinyl tile in the kitchen and bath of one of our rentals.
Nine months isn't all that great of a history - but - the stuff looked great and it seems to be holding up fine.

I had a plumber out to give me an estimate on putting in a gas line for a stove.
He told me I should have called him in before I put the floor in because he charged more for drilling through stone and/or ceramic tile.
He could believe the floor was vinyl and had to get down on his knees to check it - the stuff looked that good.

I did a lot of research into groutable peel and stick tile before I went that route.
People that have used it and installed it correctly all seem very pleased with it & it's held up fine for them.
People that haven't done it right and/or used the wrong materials and/or have never used it, all have bad things to say about it.

Even Mike Holmes bad mouths it - but - if you read his reasons for bad mouthing it, it's pretty clear he's never used it or he's seen or installed it wrong.

phil harold
02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Nine months ago I installed some "peel and stick" groutable vinyl tile in the kitchen and bath of one of our rentals.
Nine months isn't all that great of a history - but - the stuff looked great and it seems to be holding up fine.

I have that in my bath and laundry for the past 5 years
Looks good except there is some funny stainning with the grout lines in spots

When ever I use peel and stick tiles, I use clear thin-spread adhesive designed to install VCT
Doing this you will never have a tile come loose

Rich Engelhardt
02-23-2013, 10:54 AM
I only used the adhesive is sopts where I knew there might be trouble - such as by the entrance to the outside in the kithen & a couple of spots where I couldn't get the subfloor 100% flat.
I read a lot of comments where people use the VCT adhesive also - probably about 50/50, those that do and those that don't.
If this stuff holds up I'm going to use it again & next time around, I will use the adhesive.
Nice to hear yours is 5 years old and still going strong.

Did you seal the grout?
I applied two heavy coats of grout sealer & plan on giving it a coat every year or so.

phil harold
02-23-2013, 12:04 PM
no I did not use grout sealer
will look at that next time
I have done a few of these floors with out the grout and the look good too

Mark W Pugh
02-25-2013, 12:07 AM
not many can be refinished
I recommend VCT durable an easy to lay

I'm thinking this idea may work well for that one room. I would like the not so office look, more rustic would work. Any suggestions on manufactures??