PDA

View Full Version : C E Jennings HAnd Saw

John Noxon
02-22-2013, 9:25 PM
Great website here I have been lurking for some now, so here is the first post.

I found a C E Jennings hand saw in my Father in Laws tool after he passed. This saw has a blade length of 18 inches, the tip of the saw is 2 inches the heel is 5 inches. It is an 11point saw with an open handle, on the top, and the etching is still slightly visible.

There were many other saws that he had, mostly Disston from late 1800's to the 1940's. But this Jenning's saw caught my attention. I have not found much info on Jenning's tools period. Just not much out there.

Woodworking always was something I wanted to do but never had time. So now I have inherited a complete shop I am gonna jump into it.

Any info or where I can find information about Jennings would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading my post...

Jim Matthews
02-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Drop Matt Cianci a line with some pictures; he's a Rhode Island native with an affinity for the Jennings brand.

He'll know your saw, I'm sure.

Mark Dorman
02-22-2013, 11:12 PM
You might try a search on this site and see what comes up. I found some threads where the name was mentioned.
How about a picture?

Jim Koepke
02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
John,

Welcome to the Creek.

If you have a way to take and post pictures we all love pictures.

Your profile doesn't list your location. Everyone likes to know what part of the world other folks here are calling home.

jtk

Rob Paul
02-23-2013, 6:44 PM
Hi John,
Jennings made good saws (good enough to successfully compete against the Disston juggernaut). Manufacturing was from 1878-1932, according to Schaffer's reference book.
I have one which is a good user. On my saw the blade etch includes the usual "Arrowhead" trademark and the statement "Our aim is to excel all others in, quality and workmanship, C E Jennings & Co”, and the model No, ( A 7-1/2 )

Clean it, sharpen it, and use it.

John Noxon
03-18-2013, 7:20 PM
Jim Thanks for the welcome to the Creek message. I am in Southern California. Here are a couple of photos of the saw. This one is most likely going to get a new home as I have a Disston of the same vintage that I like better. I also have 6 or 7 other Disston's as well. But this Jennings was the odd man out so to speak. So here are a few photos. The handle is very ornate, and the Jennings etching is barely visible. Amazing for its age....257467257468257469257470

Chris Vandiver
03-19-2013, 12:10 AM
It looks like a previous owner got creative with the handle. C.E. Jennings made very good saws as well as highly regarded chisels. I'd keep it and use it.