PDA

View Full Version : Festool addicts, if you could only have three, which ones?

Silas Smith
02-22-2013, 9:14 PM
So I just drank the kool-aid and I bought the Domino. I justified it because there isn't anything like it on the market in terms of making a M/T joint in 30 seconds or less. That being said, I know that there is a part of me who really enjoys owning high quality tools and I got it because I wanted it. I don't drink, smoke, I stay faithful to my wife, go to church and work hard so my tool addiction is one of the vices i allow myself. (Nothing wrong if you enjoy a good beer or smoke though if that's your thing) ;)

I've got decent stuff ( mostly P/C, Bosch, Makita and Dewalt) for the portable stuff so the basics are covered but I'm curious if there are any offerings by the boys in green that you feel are worth upgrading to.

I kind of like setting a goal on a new tool and working hard to get it. I did this with my Unisaw, DJ-20, bandsaw and then I moved to hand tools thinking that the most expensive purchases were behind me (some of you will appreciate my naïveté). For me, the acquisition of a new tool is part of what I love about this hobby as I can't always be in the shop, but I can take a 10 min during the day and pull up a website to research a tool.

Anyway, since I already have one of the three choices, what would be the other two that you wouldn't be without?

Bill Neely
02-22-2013, 9:22 PM
ETS 150/3 sander and the OF 1010 router with angle attachment and edging plate.

Matt Meiser
02-22-2013, 9:22 PM
Domino, Saw, ETS150/3 sander.

And a vac but that doesn't count since its not a tool, right?

Joe Jensen
02-22-2013, 9:29 PM
I started with the half sheet sander. I didn't have one and the options were limited. Festool dealer ordered one in just to see if I liked it. Amazingly smooth. I used that sander to finish a table top and when project was done I ordered an RO150. This one filled another gap in my sander portfolio. I bought it for the fast aggressive rotary mode as an alternative to the belt sander. Again, amazing. With the RO150 I used it on a work bench project. Sanded for maybean hour with a black T-shirt on and I had almost no dust on it. From there I ordered the 150/3, and a 50 pack of each grit from 80-400. About 6 months later I ordered the RTS400 and complete paper set for that. I endedup giving my old sanders and and maybe $500 of paper to my dad.

Before the Festool sanders I was using Porter Cable with a WAP drywaller vac which is even better than a Festool vac. Good dust collection but nothing compared to the Festool sanders with the WAP.

I also have the TS75 and a regular and extra long track. I do not yet have routers but I will at some point.

tim morris
02-22-2013, 9:54 PM
TS55 with 1400 and 3000mm rails, domino and an ets 125 for me. That's where I started several thousand dollars back. Couldn't be happier.

Mike Heidrick
02-22-2013, 10:13 PM
domino, 150/3, vac with boom - Have first two :) .

Matt Meiser
02-22-2013, 10:19 PM
vac with boom - Have first two :) .

You're going to love the boom when you get it.

Alan Lightstone
02-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Kapex, ETS150/3 sander, OF1400 router.

And a vac but that doesn't count since its not a tool, right? Gotta have the vac.

Wait. That's not enough. Need to add the TS55 Track saw with long and short tracks.

Could live without the Domino, but I like having it.

Mark Carlson
02-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Order of use:

vac, MFT, half sheet sander, domino, OF1400 router, other sanders, track saw.

Chris Rosenberger
02-22-2013, 10:56 PM
TS55 with many rails, Vac, RAS 115.

Jeff Monson
02-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Ets 150 sander, Kapex, Domino, love all 3

Jim Tobias
02-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Domino, ETS 150, at least 1 vac with boom arm.
After that, you are a Green Junkie and there is no rehab!!

Jim

Sam Murdoch
02-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Domino, Saw, ETS150/3 sander.

And a vac but that doesn't count since its not a tool, right?

These are the quintessentials.

Mike Nguyen
02-23-2013, 1:44 AM
TS55, ETS150/3, and Domino. If you can't get a Festool vac with these 3 festool tools, you can get away with any shopvac and a festool hose or Bosch hose which is a lot cheaper to connect to the sander or domino.

Mike

Mike Cutler
02-23-2013, 6:51 AM
I've purchased two based on need, so I would have to say the OF2200, the TS 75, and next will be either the ETS150/3, or a cordless drill.

Of course, now you guys have me thinking about the vac.;)

Peter Kuhlman
02-23-2013, 7:57 AM
My most used to least used Festool to(ys)ols------
MFT/3
TS55 with lots of rails - no more 2 piece for me
Midi and CT22 vacs
CXS drill
OF1010 with edging stuff
ETS150/3
Syslite
T15 &T12 drills
Domino
RO90
OF2200
DTS400
OF1400
RO150

Jim German
02-23-2013, 8:20 AM
Do you guys with the MFTs use them mostly on job sites or in the shop?

John Schweikert
02-23-2013, 8:33 AM
I have a TS75. Only other Festool I'd like to add in the future would be a Domino. Nothing else really strikes my fancy. I have good quality tools in other brands that cover my needs.

Silas Smith
02-23-2013, 8:42 AM
I don't count the vac, mostly because that would take one tool off my list. I'm using my shop vac with the Bosch hose and it works great so far. I bought a cheap remote for the plug and it works pretty well in terms of convenience, not quite automatic, but close. I think I've narrowed it down to the TS55, a router or ROS, but that still needs to be refined even more as there are several options at that point. Ok, maybe I'll expand the list to three more tool, but NO MORE!

(Plus the Kapex and that's it)

(and maybe the domino Xl but that would be the absolute end of it)

are the drills that nice? Never mind, don't tell me, I don't want to know.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2013, 9:14 AM
Do you guys with the MFTs use them mostly on job sites or in the shop?

Thats where I use mine. I'll probably eventually use it "on site" in the house or over at my parents'. I mostly bought it for the sheet goods crosscutting capability, but its a decent worktable too. A little wobbly because of the folding legs but they sell braces if it bothers you, or what I did in the shop was build a cabinet that the folded-up MFT sits on top of, adds a bunch of storage underneath, and makes it mobile.

are the drills that nice? Never mind, don't tell me, I don't want to know.

I've only used and have the CXS. I love it. The quick-change chuck system and right angle attachment are noticable difference, but over the Bosch 12V stuff I had, the torque and battery longevity are noticeably better. It replaced 4 Bosch 12V tools for me (driver, right angle driver, impactor, and drill.)

Peter Quinn
02-23-2013, 9:53 AM
Not an addict, just a user with mixed emotions. some of the green koolaide I love, some I like, some I find laughable. ETS 125, TS55 would be my next pics. That plunge saw is a great asset. Kapex is fine but not any more accurate than a saw 1/3 the price IME, and I've used one a lot at work. Lots of nice tricky features and fancy plastic, but the business parts are no upgrade from any other. Save your money. I have an ETS 150, I use the 125 a whole lot more. The 150 comes out for larger panels, table tops, occasional things. Some day I will replace them both with a mirka ciros. But the 125 is as close as I've found to a 5" pneumatic ROS in terms of comfort and performance at that price point. You really need a vacuum of some sort, its more fun if its tool triggered, it does't have to be a festool but they sure are nice vacuums. I use a PC from my drywall sander, its a bit much suck on the sanders, no variable speed, I've learned to live with that. The OF 1400 is on my "whats next" list. If you told me you were a contractor going into peoples homes, doing remodels in finished space, my list might line up differently, different priorities and valuations. But as a hobby, in a shop environment, IMO a lot of the accessories are quite easily replicated for pennies with a bit of work and creativity. Making your own domino is much harder.

Larry Fox
02-23-2013, 9:53 AM
ETS 150/3 and 6" Rotex.

Mike Hollingsworth
02-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Life would be difficult without Rotex or TrackSaw.

Steve Milito
02-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Track saw - really makes working with panels far easier and safer than a TS. When I bought it it was the only commercially available tract saw.
Domino - I find domino joinery to be easy, quick, and accurate. It's my preferred approach to making boxes.
ETS 125 is my go to finish sander.

RO 150 - its a monster and I rarely use it.
Kapex - I got it for it's light weight and rail forward design. It didn't really have many viable competitors when I bought it. It's a nice saw but there are other choices nowadays at a better price point.
I have a router collection but no festool routers, might be an idea if I go 32mm for my next set of shop cabs; but again there are other options for 32mm that are more cost efficient.

Ralph Butts
02-23-2013, 12:16 PM
+1 on Matt's comments on the boom.

I started with a TS75, OF1400 and a CT-33.

Andrew Joiner
02-23-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm a tool addict. My problem and obsession is bad enough with normal priced tools. I've tested Festool sanders at the dealers. Thank God I didn't get hooked on them. Now I have money for Rehab.

Steve Milito
02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
+1 on Matt's comments on the boom.

I agree, the boom is nice, although it can sometimes be a pain to navigate around the shop.

Mike Henderson
02-23-2013, 3:27 PM
Domino - I use it on a lot of projects.

Mike

Stan Krupowies
02-23-2013, 5:17 PM
You're going to love the boom when you get it.

That's true for the most part. I have the boom arm but I didn't mount the stabilizer legs on it so when the boom rotates towards the back it becomes VERY unstable. I know I could prevent that by installing the screw and, now that I think about it, I think I will.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2013, 5:21 PM
I have a Dust Deputy on mine and that must be enough to make mine stable. I certainly could tip it if I tried, but its not unstable.

Alan Lightstone
02-23-2013, 5:21 PM
I agree, the boom is nice, although it can sometimes be a pain to navigate around the shop.

+1. I eventually took it off and it's sitting collecting dust in my storage unit. Just takes up too much space and makes the vacuum a pain to move around in a small shop. Would need a much bigger shop for it to work for me.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2013, 5:33 PM
Can't argue with that. Mine lives within a small range between my bench and MFT. If you can dedicate the vac to one general spot it would definitely get around that. That inconvenience for me, is offset by how nice it is to sand, cut, domino, etc at the MFT and bench without the hose dragging over edges.

johnny means
02-23-2013, 5:37 PM
My TS55 and Domino are the only Festools that signicantly improve my capabilities. Then its a toss up between my RO90 and my ETS125 for making sanding bearable.

Robert LaPlaca
02-23-2013, 6:44 PM
The ETS 150/3 almost makes sanding tolerable, OF1400 Router is so silky smooth its amazing, Kapex? (although the jury is still out on this one).. TS 75 Meh..

Jim Becker
02-23-2013, 6:57 PM
'Hard to choose just two because I regularly use more that that...drill/driver, 150/3 sander, OF1400 router, OF1010 router, ATF55 track saw. I also have at Rotex 150 and the jig saw and these see less frequent use, but are important to me, nonetheless. All use the CT22 for dust extraction. I don't have the Domino at this point, but believe I'd like one at some point.

John Schweikert
02-23-2013, 6:58 PM
My Mirka Ceros makes sanding a down right pleasure. That's why I don't find myself a Festool diehard. There are many other branded tools which I love and wouldn't even think of or care if Festool could do any different or better. But having a Festool TS75 solves my issue of breaking down sheet goods in a space where a huge cabinet saw with outfeed isn't possible. I also have about 500+ board of rough cut walnut air drying and plan to begin cutting end of year where the TS75 will earn it's keep.

Todd Brewer
02-23-2013, 7:23 PM
Some Festool I like, some I don't. Festool isn't the be-all to end-all. I love the track saw, routers are OK. I want the Domino XL. Their parallel guides are not good, better alternatives out there for less money. Their jigsaws are not that great from what i have read. I want a Kapex!

Bottom line, do your research, just because it's Festool doesn't mean it is the best. I like Festool but I have learned not to buy the name. Do your research.

Did I say i want a Kapex?

My three:

Track saw: Get this you will not regret it.

Kapex; I don't own it yet but it has to be miles above my Dewalt (which I generally like). No 1st hand experience but almost universal love for this saw.

?: Depends on what your projects are. For me, I have a lot of doors to build, so I think the Domino XL may be the ticket. I don't see anything else like it out there.

Non Festool: A sliding table saw?

Matt Meiser
02-23-2013, 8:17 PM
I doubt a Kapex cuts better than a top quality miter saw with a similar size blade. It does cut better than the 12" blade in my previous Makita. But the dust collection is amazing. Perfect? No, but I cut a bunch of trim in my garage for the kitchen with the Makita, then more with the Kapex. I had sawdust everywhere in a 10' radius spehere with the Makita and ended up using the leaf blower to clean up. The Kapex I had to vacum a small amount off the floor in about a 3' semi-circle. In my shop that translates to a much smaller workstation too and if I need that space for special projects I can knock it down quick and store.

Jim German
02-23-2013, 9:03 PM
I love my ETS 150/5, and my track saw. The domino I'm not overly thrilled with. Frequently seems like it would be quicker to use a different method or just as quick and easy to use a biscuit cutter.

marty shultz
02-24-2013, 12:26 AM
My preference depends on the type of project I'm working on. Right now I'm making a rocking chair so I love the RO 90, Rotex, and 115.04.

If I were making cabinets I'd like the router, track saw, and Rotex.

I'd like to own the kapex.

Tony Zaffuto
02-24-2013, 10:47 AM
A couple of months ago, I was happily plugging away in my shop, moving further and further from the use of electrons. Then, for a birthday, SWMBO bought me a Festool saber saw. Why? Because she said she didn't notice any tools like that in my shop. Begrudgingly I tried it a few times and it works very well. Really well. Actually too well and that led me to looking at threads like this! A few weeks ago, I had a project that needed done quickly, but had many M & T joints. I now have a Festool Domino. Where does this stuff end??????

Gary Howorka
02-24-2013, 9:55 PM
Kapex, Domino, and 150/3 Sander

of course you need a Vac to go with them....

Craig Shilling
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
I didn't get serious about woodworking until after I retired from my day job about 5 years ago. My favorite Festool is by far and away, the Domino. It has helped my hobby of woodworking more than any tool in my humble little shop. Everything it touches comes out square, and dry fits help to make projects easier to measure for add-on's. The second is the CXS, it gets more use in and out of the shop than any other tool. The third is a tie between a (1)TS 55 EQ that is a necessity because I cannot carry a full sheet of plywood to the basement shop anymore (2) a Kapex CT 26 Combo that does a great job of collecting dust and has 2 little red lights that cut right on the mark and (3) a RS 2 half sheet sander that has a spring loaded trigger that when released (during an occasional doze off) will shut off the sander and the MIDI completely at the same time and will be ready to resume operation immediately upon waking and of course taking a moderate bathroom break. I could go on and on about the "Green stuff" but you asked for only three,e,e. I would like to have one of the new Carvex's when it comes out but its release date keeps going one way and my birth date is going the other.

Clint Baxter
02-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Have way too much of the Kool-Aid myself, but if I were forced to divest all but three, I would keep my Domino, my Kapex and probably the TS75, (with my contingent of different length rails.) I really like the OF1400 and the ETS150 and do tend to use them a lot as well, (the ETS150 is my go to sander and all my old sanders see little to no use since it appeared), but the three listed above are on a level above any other offerings out there. As has been said here earlier, you do want the vacuum as well to complete the system, but I use my Fein vacs and a CT22 pretty much interchangeably. The Festool will get nod more often in the shop due to it being equipped with an Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy. Works great in the shop, but greatly affects the ease of mobility.

Good luck on YOUR choices.

Clint

Brian Kincaid
02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
1. The drill. Adjustable 90 degree head and off-center head. Digital clutch (seriously, try it).
2. Vacuum with dust deputy
3. Domino, Sander, Jigsaw, whatever I buy next...
lol
-Brian

Bill Wyko
02-25-2013, 10:55 AM
My Domino, my ros 150 and my CT33 vacuum. I think you got your question wrong, it should read "If you could stop at 3 tools" Personally, I have 3 vacuums along with around 12 or more various tools, at least 5 sanders, a Domino, ts75 & ts55 jig saw etc. I still want some routers and screw guns too. End? there is no end. Almost forgot, got a Kapex gently used too. Just cut some 8/4 bubinga about 10" wide and it felt like sharp shears on fine leather.

Brian Kincaid
02-25-2013, 10:59 AM
...I now have a Festool Domino. Where does this stuff end??????
When you run out of money (temporarily) lol
-Brian

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Awe, shucks, get all of them, you know you wanna. Indeed buying Festools is like eating pistachios, you can't stop at just 1 (or 3!).

Joe Cowan
02-25-2013, 1:13 PM
Domino and boom arm with the CT33

Silas Smith
02-25-2013, 8:56 PM
A couple of months ago, I was happily plugging away in my shop, moving further and further from the use of electrons. Then, for a birthday, SWMBO bought me a Festool saber saw. Why? Because she said she didn't notice any tools like that in my shop. Begrudgingly I tried it a few times and it works very well. Really well. Actually too well and that led me to looking at threads like this! A few weeks ago, I had a project that needed done quickly, but had many M & T joints. I now have a Festool Domino. Where does this stuff end??????

Tell me about it, I have been spending the last year working almost exclusively in hand tools feeling like I was truly getting down to the purest form of the art when this big black and green tool that cost $900 ends up on my must have list. In one moment, I lost my religion and went right back into the gutter of electron abuse. I'll be ok though, I never wanted to be a complete purist as I couldn't give up my joiner and planer.

Mathew Mann
02-26-2013, 7:08 AM
after festool comes Felder.....

but theres no way i could ONLY own 3, just not doable

Matthew Hills
02-26-2013, 9:20 AM
I've got TS55 / vac / ETS125

What are the advantages of the 150/3 sander over the 125?

I'm surprised to see so many mentions of Kapex (when I was researching miter saws, it got good marks for dust collection, but often heard that it wasn't as much of a category-buster as other Festool products).

Am also surprised to not see more "MFT" love -- as I seem to be reading that everywhere else. (although I don't have a good feel for the benefits conferred)

Matt

Homer Faucett
02-26-2013, 11:10 AM
I have the Domino and the TS 75. I have a Fein Turbo II that I bought at an excellent price used, so I don't have any longing for the Festool vac. I've tried the Rotex sander, and didn't feel like I could control it very well. I would really like a Domino XL, as I have used the Domino to make full sized doors and would feel better with some bigger tenons. I just cannot get myself to pull the trigger at that price point, though.

I've looked at the MFT, but if I was to pick a third Festool, it would probably be the Domino XL, just because of the work that I do. I don't see that one on my horizon anytime soon, though.

Jim Becker
02-27-2013, 3:21 PM
Matt, the MFT is certainly a very worthy part of the Festool system, especially since it can be used with multiple tool types. (Saw, router, jig-saw, etc) But I rarely actually use it in my shop. It's been more useful for me during home improvement projects when I bring all the "nearly black" and green into the house to work. Of course, I have a slider in the shop, so some of the things that one might do with the MFT are being taken care of on the bigger machine for me. (Panel cutting)

Erik Christensen
02-27-2013, 4:13 PM
Domino, TS75, OF2200 with accessory kit