PDA

View Full Version : Nova Live Center Question

Mike Goetzke
02-22-2013, 4:57 PM
I'm going to upgrade the live center on my Delta 46-460. I have read too many posts between Nova -vs- Oneway :D. Seems most agree not much difference in performance but looks simpler to adapt shop built support pieces.

Anyway, I was wondering I have seen the Nova live center system (#5015) in both black and chrome (silver) bodies. Is there a difference?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Peace
02-22-2013, 5:31 PM
I doubt it. My recently purchased one is black. I really like it.

Fred Belknap
02-22-2013, 5:35 PM
The live center is pretty simple device. I have and use the Oneway on my Grizzly lathe but the one from Grizzly works fine. The one reason I use the Oneway is it accepts an adapter to screw the chucks on, makes it great for keeping the turning aligned when reversing to the vacuum chuck. I'm not sure the chrome one holds as good in the taper, mine does come loose pretty easy but most of the time it has pressure on it.

paul vechart
02-22-2013, 7:07 PM
Mike...I have the Delta 46-460 and the Nova center too. I think the older pictures show the chrome plated body and the new ones are black which mine is. I like it because it cost less and it is not as long as the Oneway.

Paul

Michael Mills
02-22-2013, 7:11 PM
The one I have is the chrome/nickle style. Some of my Nova chuck jaws are chrome and some are the black. I don't think there is any difference except for the coating. On Amazon, the chrome is $69.95 and the black is $59.33. If I were to do it today I would buy the black coating as I have never had a black chuck jaw rust. Mine is 3-4 years old and I still like it. The taper doesn't have the chrome coating.

Aric Krueger
02-22-2013, 7:16 PM
Mike...I have the Delta 46-460 and the Nova center too. I think the older pictures show the chrome plated body and the new ones are black which mine is. I like it because it cost less and it is not as long as the Oneway.

Paul

+1 Same...same...

Mike Goetzke
02-22-2013, 9:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the Oneway but best price I saw was $103 and found the black Nova referenced above for $59. Like Fred referenced, I did notice the Oneway offers the live center adapters in 1"-8 which will fit my lathe while the Nova only offers one in 1-1/4"-8. But, don't know how useful this accessory would be.

Mike

charlie knighton
02-22-2013, 9:19 PM
uh.....you might consider the multi-tip revolving center by Precision Machine sold by craft supplies. Precision Machine also makes revolving center for metal lathes which have much higher standards than what wood turning center normally are made to. it comes with 2 different points and i added the univeral point at a later time.

craft supply quote advertising
"without question the finest quality revolving center system availabe and an exceptional value."

revolving center and 2 points $66.90 with extra points @ $7.30 extra each

Jerry Marcantel
02-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Search "Zlivecenter". They have centers selling from 19.00 to 900.00. I got one for $27.00 and $10 for shipping...... It's for a CNC lathe, but who cares. It works just fine on any lathe, especially a wood lathe... Jerry (in Tucson)

robert baccus
02-22-2013, 10:38 PM
I vote for the oneway. That big cone is useful in either direction--selfsquaring on a spindle or a hollowform. Any you can make various pieces to fit the threads.

robert baccus
02-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Ivote for the oneway. The big cone can be used in either direction and is selfcentering on hollow forms and spindles. It also squares up a piece like a glueblock as a clamp.

Jack Gaskins
02-23-2013, 10:16 AM
I have the silver colored nove LC and it has worked just fine. I pop out the little insert tips and make other tips from wood which gives me alot of versitiliy. I think I only paid $50 or less for it off ebay two or three years ago. I think it is the perfect size for the delta 460 which I also have. But hey, some people have more turning funds then I do so,,,,,

Jack

Michael Stafford
02-23-2013, 11:20 AM
I have the Nova and use it for certain jobs and I have the Oneway and use it for certain jobs. I have had the Nova for at least 7 years and have not experienced any problems. For the money it is a very good live center. The Oneway is pricey but the large cone does help when you need it. I also like the threaded stud around the point which permits you to make threaded wooden attachments for special situations. Buy both and be happy! :D

Thomas Canfield
02-23-2013, 9:03 PM
I ditto Michael STafford. I just got a little Nova live center to work on my new Nova Comet II midi lathe. It is shorter but the bearing section about the same as the Oneway since it does not have the threaded end. I have not had a reason to use the accessories that came with the Nova, but some cover different functions that the Oneway also.

John Keeton
02-24-2013, 4:43 AM
The Nova is apparently a fine center, though I have not used one. The one feature of the Oneway probably worth the difference in price is the ability to use the threaded front as others have noted. I would add that one can purchase 3/4" x 10tpi nuts at the hardware store, epoxy one in a drilled hole in a block of wood, and using the center in the headstock, turn any number of specialty adapters for the tailstock.

Michael Mills
02-24-2013, 10:31 AM
With the Nova just get some tee nuts, drill for the post, and hammer in. At least that is what I do. Turn whateve custom piece you desire. To me easier than using nuts and expoxing in. It comes with a "threaded insert". The threaded insert (and the other inserts) also has a 2MT taper so if you wish you can pop it out and use in the headstock as a drive center and still have the livecenter in the tailstock.
Below are a few of the ones I have made. The rubber ball ones were made for the tailstock but work great in the headstock as a drive center for bud vases, etc.
It doesn't come with a large cone but it doesn't take long to turn one.

mark ravensdale
02-25-2013, 1:54 PM
I actually have both these live centres and to be honest I use the nova the most, it's just so easy to make lots of different adapters for use with it, so easy to turn the shape you need with a simple 2mt taper on it, having said that the oneway is a very fine live centre too, had my nova around five years and it's as smooth now as the day I got it, had my oneway abt three years and this too is still lovely and smooth with no play in the bearings (just like my nova) don't really know why I got the oneway when the nova did every thing I needed, but I had heard such good reports abt it and yes I'am a gear head (I admit it !!!)
if I had to buy either again it would be the nova (it's just so adaptable and capable)

mark ravensdale
02-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Fred, nova also make an adaptor for there live centre so you can mount a chuck to it now, the nova is a fantastic live centre, and because it accepts 2mt short tapers it make making your own adaptors so easy, I have both the nova and the oneway but it's the nova I use most of the time, and those 3 bearings are super smooth with no perseptable play, even after 5 years of fairly hard use (had the oneway centre 2-3 years and that too has no play that I can feel in the bearings too!!!)

Mike Goetzke
02-27-2013, 3:47 PM
Fred, nova also make an adaptor for there live centre so you can mount a chuck to it now, the nova is a fantastic live centre, and because it accepts 2mt short tapers it make making your own adaptors so easy, I have both the nova and the oneway but it's the nova I use most of the time, and those 3 bearings are super smooth with no perseptable play, even after 5 years of fairly hard use (had the oneway centre 2-3 years and that too has no play that I can feel in the bearings too!!!)

Only problem like I mentioned in my original post is Nova only makes it in 1-1/4"-8 thread right now.

I'm leaning toward the Nova - for some reason I was willing to justify extra $ for the sexier looking Oneway but see no advantage of one over the other.

Thanks