buy something else for your lathe. My new HF 12" lathe did not come with
a chuck and i was wondering what i should get. 3 jaw, 4 jaw, self centering,
manual? the self centering looks like a good chuck to have. I found this
one on ebay and it's in my budget range :-) Anyone have experience
with this one and would you recommend? Ebay item# 4378548526

Thanks

Jeff Sudmeier
05-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Hey Mike, you can't directly link to the ebay site. However you can list the item number: 4378548526.

It looks like a decent starter chuck to me, but as of yet, I do not have one.

Jerry Clark
05-05-2005, 10:20 AM
It may be OK for starter, be sure to check the threads on your lathe and then on the new chuck before you buy. Regular size is 1 X8tpi for most lathes and there are more accessories for that size. OneWay chucks have interchangeable inserts to fit different size arbors and threads. Will not be a bargain if it does not work on your lathe.:eek:

Blake McCully
05-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Mike Jerry is absolutely correct. I noticed that the chuck in the auction is 1"X8 tpi, I looked up the 12" lathe on Harbor Freight but it doesn't say what the spindle size is for that model. Check it out very closely.

Just my thoughts.

Mike Ramsey
05-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks to all. I did check and my spindle is 1"x 8 TPI.
Sorry about the link, i did edit it out..

Robert E Lee
05-05-2005, 1:26 PM
Mike, have you checked pen state industries? I have the CUG3418 it comes with # 1 & # 2 jaws. Some have said they have the CMG3 and they work. Any you get check to make sure it is true first thing. Good luck with your spinning or spending.
Bob

Mike Ramsey
05-05-2005, 2:57 PM
Thanks Robert, I went to Penn States website and they are currently out of stock on the CUG3418 with an estimated instock of 5/20/05. The prices were pretty good. As i want to experiment as soon as possible i will order the ebay chuck and post the results when it arrives.

Thanks

Mike Ramsey
05-12-2005, 2:04 PM
Got the Ebay chuck in last night and was pleasantly surprised that it was
better than i thought it would be. It shipped less than an hour after i paid & arrived 4 days later. Until recently the last time i used a lathe was in 1973
in High school, then we just glued everything to a block and turned it. I think
the lathe only had one speed "Fast". Man have things changed!

Ted Harris
05-14-2005, 1:59 AM
As everyone here knows it's a never ending thing with getting or needing to
buy something else for your lathe. My new HF 12" lathe did not come with
a chuck and i was wondering what i should get. 3 jaw, 4 jaw, self centering,
manual? the self centering looks like a good chuck to have. I found this
one on ebay and it's in my budget range :-) Anyone have experience
with this one and would you recommend? Ebay item# 4378548526

Thanks
I have a 3" x 3 jaw on my three 12" central machinery wood lathes. I got the backing plate from thelittlemachineshop.com for $20-, and the chucks for about $55- from enco.

Mike Ramsey
05-15-2005, 11:41 PM
The new chuck came with a threaded insert, how do i use this and when should it be used?

Jerry Clark
05-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Most chucks are made to fit on different size lathes and they use a insert in the base of the chuck of the correct size for the threaded arbor. If your new chuck fits the arbor threads, you do not need it. Enjoy and make some fun stuff.:rolleyes:

Mike Ramsey
05-16-2005, 8:01 AM
Thanks Jerry, learning as i go! Glad SMC is here for me!