PDA

View Full Version : Trying some eucalyptus

Brian Kent
02-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Trying a little turning with eucalyptus that was on the tree yesterday. The color is a lot of fun. The bigger thing for me is learning the differences between dry and very wet wood. Obviously this is a work in process. I'll wait until it is dry to sand and polish.

Dennis Ford
02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Very nice shape bowl. The wood is pretty; Please post again when it is finished.

Brian Kent
02-22-2013, 1:00 PM
I just realized I posted the from of a bowl and the back of a plate.

Brian Finney
02-22-2013, 2:37 PM
Brian,
When turning green I find it better to rough turn leaving the wall thickness at approx. 10% of the bowl dia. ie 1in thickness for 10in dia bowl.
Let it dry – 6 months? – then remount on the lathe, final turn and applyfinish.

A good book/DVD is Michael O’Donnell Turning Green Wood. He does a number of projects including an end grain vase which he turns thin – 1/8in - first off, uses light to check the wall thickness. This dries very quickly because of the thin wall.

I don’t bother sealing, cut it and rough turn as soon as you get it. I have used an 8 tpi handsaw on cross grain cuts and a wedge to split along the grain (don't put the wedge in the pith it doesn't work)– can be satisfying and beats going to the gym!

Faster drying and less distortion can be achieved by gentle microwaving,but this takes a lot of time.

Hope that’s some use to you.

Brian

Jerry Marcantel
02-22-2013, 3:23 PM
Brian, if they don't crack, you will possibly get some wild warping on both if they're about 1/4' thick. Gorgeous wood and good job....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Prashun Patel
02-22-2013, 3:41 PM
Nice bowls. What is the sheen on those bowls? I've turned wood so wet it splashes me on the lathe, but I've never had it look like it has a fresh coat of finish on it...

Brian Kent
02-22-2013, 5:32 PM
That's because it has a fresh coat of finish on it ;).

But here is my experience - fresh cut it looks just like this. Spinning just throws out the water. It changes to a dryer look like squeezing a sponge - in just a few minutes of turning.

Brian, the books sounds like a good idea. I saved 2 and lost 2 from the first small log. I tried getting thinner to try just one turning. I will also try the rough turn 1" for 10" method, but with the expectation that this wood will crack all over the place. Which method, if any, do you use to slow the drying? Do you bag it?

Here it is without oil:

Brian Finney
02-22-2013, 5:55 PM
Brian

Slow drying, I just throw in a dark place. Bagging may result in spalting - which may not be bad thing if that's what you want, but i think it will slow down the drying.

Might be worth microwaving your thinner bowls, it may prevent cracking reducing distortion. I would use 10% power (maybe labled as defrost) for 2 mins, let it cool for say 2 mins and run thro the cycle again, and again and again until it nolonger feels damp. Don't let it get more that slightly warm and if its not getting warm increase power or time. Be careful the heat creeps up on you, you need to check each time.

Wrt to using the kitchen microwave - I always find asking for forgiveness is a lot easier that asking for permission :)