PDA

View Full Version : Need help with pin hinge box

Mervyn Kopinsky
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm making a pin hinge jewellery box for my daughter. Trying to give it a "treasure chest" theme. Been working on it for months . . . . . . . the first lid did not fit right, so I made a 2nd and worked painfully slow at it to make sure it fitted perfectly. The fitting was done BEFORE the glue up. Probably a mistake . . .

Joinery is with biscuits. I've worked around the box and glued up 3 sides. So the lid, back right corner post and back side can still be removed. However, with the glue up, things must be differently aligned slightly from when I had the box held together when I fitted the lid. If you look at the photo, you'll can see the gap on the LHS front is larger than on the right. In reality, its much worse than it looks in the photo - you see right down onto the top of the box side on the LHS, but can't see down into the gap on the right. (The gap behind the post is a little large to allow for expansion.) Really looks like an amateur job. Well, I guess I'm an amateur trying to act like a pro :)

Any suggestions how to get this lid to fit better without having to remake the lid? I'm also reluctant just to sand the RH edge down - the gap on the left already looks too big and it would just look too big on both sides. I won't go into the finishing problems I've had on the lid. Don't want to go through that again if i remake the lid!

Thanks for looking.