PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable shoes

Robert Johnstone
05-05-2005, 7:08 AM
I am curious as to what kind of shoes Creekers wear in the shop to lessen leg & foot strain? My shop floor is concrete and I find I am to mobile to stand on rubber matting for very long. Mats also hinder clean up. I have had fairly good luck with court shoes (tennis, basketball, racquetball, etc.) because they have good cushioning and a wider footprint than standard running shoes. However, they are soft and provide no toe protection from falling wood or tools. Any suggestions for shoes that provide long-term comfort, good support and protection?

Tim Morton
05-05-2005, 7:17 AM
If you follow this link you will find lots of suggestions, I found a surprising amount of people wear sneakers.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17050&highlight=shoe

John Hart
05-05-2005, 7:24 AM
I had the same problem so I covered my entire floor with rubber interlocking mat. It's a breeze to clean and I can stand for days, regardless of the shoes I'm wearing, plus it's great when I want to work on a project kneeling on the floor. I've had it this way for years...no probs.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-05-2005, 9:08 AM
Robert,

I wear steel toed hiking boots. However, they are starting to wear out... The next pair I buy will be steel toed work boots. I need something with more ankle support, my ankles are totally crapped!

thomas prevost
05-05-2005, 9:09 AM
I use steel toed "gym" shoes I purchased at a local safety supply store. Not cheap but the cushion soles are the only way to go for my arthritic knees. So you should be able to find them on line.

James Mudler
05-05-2005, 10:24 AM
I have had 4 knee surgeries and wear high quality tennis shoes (Gray New Balance $100pr) and the interlocking pads thoughout the entire shop. I also have found Soloman water sneakers to be very comfortable and the Timberland slip ons with the smart comfort system.

Mark Singer
05-05-2005, 10:27 AM
I use wooden shoes as they start weaing out I cobble another pair:rolleyes:

Actually Ecco Walkathons are really great....I have 4 pair

Jerry Olexa
05-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I've gotten to liking the comfort of Merrill (Jungle Mocs I believe). My son convinced me to buy and now I have 2 pair. Safe and comfortable and EASY to slide off and on... There was a thread a few months ago on this...

John Hart
05-05-2005, 10:57 AM
...I use wooden shoes as they start wearing out I cobble another pair...

I only wear my wooden shoes when I'm plugging leaks in the wall...They do have a tendency to warp and pinch though! :mad:

Tom Saurer
05-05-2005, 12:57 PM
I wear steel toe work boots. I've added insoles to help make them more comfortable.

My knees can sometimes give me fits. I've noticed that posture and stance can also effect my knees. Before my last chiropractor visit they were really sore. After I got my back adjusted they were fine. Because my back was carrying my weight unevenly it effected my knees.

Ellen Benkin
05-05-2005, 2:56 PM
I had similar problems. After decades on a sit-down job, I found myself spending hours standing on concrete and my feet were screaming in pain. I finally found New Balance walking shoes model 925 to be the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn for shop work. They look really ugly, but they are a blessing for my feet.

Douglas Robinson
05-05-2005, 3:12 PM
I like the New Balance Walking shoes as I have Flat Feet. (When I get out of a pool in the summer my feet make a sucking sound with each step). But seriously, I have no arches. Orthotic are a huge relief. Good ones cost about $30 and can fit into almost any shoe. I also have padding in certain areas of the shop where I stand a lot.

Jim Becker
05-05-2005, 3:12 PM
Athletic shoes at present and when I retire my ECCO walkers from business use, they will get in the queue for shop use. What is most important to me in a shoe for shop use is comfort and support, especially in the arch.