PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw tension & blade tracking

Sal Kurban
02-21-2013, 10:55 PM
I fitted my Centauro 700CL with a 1-1/4x0.42 resaw blade and noticed that it tracks differently under different tensions. Is blade tracking a function of tension? Second, the blade wobbles (for the lack of a better term) back and forth by about 1/8" under full speed. This is a brand new blade. Anything I am missing?
Thanks,
Sal.

John Coloccia
02-21-2013, 11:11 PM
If the blade moves back and forth, you almost certainly have a bad weld. Nothing will work right with a bad weld. If you want to confirm this, put a piece of wood up flush with the BACK of the blade. Spin the wheel by hand. After the blade gone around a couple of time, it should be very obvious if the back and forth motion is related to the position of the blade. Make a mark on the blade with a sharpie if you have to, but I usually just find the weld and use that as my "zero" point.

Lee Schierer
02-22-2013, 7:38 AM
It sounds to me like you have a bad blade, assuming the saw can handle a blade that wide. Try adjusting your saw following these directions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU). His method really works even if you don't have the guides he has.

Erik Loza
02-22-2013, 9:08 AM
Agreed with the gentlemen, above: Bad weld on that blade.

Regarding the tracking change, yes, that can be somewhat normal. Especially on a saw with a blade as long as a 28" machine uses. The fact that the blade apparently is also bad could exaggerate the effect, too.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Sal Kurban
02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Very insightful comments; thank you all...

Gus Dundon
02-22-2013, 2:27 PM
Could be the blade, give the manufacturer a call and explain to them the problem.
If the saw is tracking correctly , the blade should run in the middle of the wheels . Proper blade tension and trackingare really critical for any band saw. Try to read this (http://bandsawblog.com/waysto-properly-track-band-saw-blade/) . I got same problem with yours before.

Jerry Thompson
02-22-2013, 2:36 PM
Google "Alex Snodgrass." That video will change your bandsaw skills many fold.

Erik Loza
02-22-2013, 3:30 PM
One thing worth mentioning is that Sal's saw has flat tires (like all Italian bandsaws...), so will be a lot less fussy about the position of the blade on the wheels than a crowned-tire bandsaw will. I would track a blade like his, for example, with the teeth hanging off the front of the wheels, not in the center.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Brian Kincaid
02-22-2013, 3:36 PM
Blade moving front to back in the guides is certainly a bad weld (or wheel bearings, but I assume they are ok).
Sorry.

It the blade is new the vendor should send you a new one without complaint. I've had a few bad welds and have never had to pay for a replacement.

-Brian

Sal Kurban
02-25-2013, 8:19 PM
One thing worth mentioning is that Sal's saw has flat tires (like all Italian bandsaws...), so will be a lot less fussy about the position of the blade on the wheels than a crowned-tire bandsaw will. I would track a blade like his, for example, with the teeth hanging off the front of the wheels, not in the center.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

That is what I did...
Thanks,
Sal.