PDA

View Full Version : Hunter screw thread pitch?

James Boster
02-21-2013, 5:25 PM
Going to make a couple tools. Anyone know what the thread is on the Hunter tools?
Thanks
James

Jerry Marcantel
02-21-2013, 7:07 PM
Why not just take whatever you're going to put a screw through to your local Ace, or other hardware supplier and get screws to fit. A 10-32 flat head hex(allen) x what length is needed would do. I just made a tool holder for a metal lathe using countersink allen 10-32 screws holding a carbide cutter. Why copy if you don't have to........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Richard Coers
02-21-2013, 9:27 PM
Pretty sure they are all metric. Different threads for different size cutters.

robert baccus
02-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Be sure to buy a high quality and not a standard big box screw--maybe a fastener store??

Jeff Gilfor
02-22-2013, 10:47 AM
I use either 10-24 or 8-32 on all my tools. Buy a cheap (but decent) drill and tap set at Sears hardware (about $5, vice the $12 at HD or Lowes). Hex head screws (or even a ground down phillips head) will work nicely, and can be purchased at the local big box store or Ace. Alternatively, as others have said, just by the insert, and take it to the store to find a good fit. Drill and tap whatever thread size you want.

Ryan Baker
02-26-2013, 11:14 PM
M4 X 0.7 for the ones I have (#4 cutter). They probably are different for different size cutters.

If you are using real Hunter cutters, you are better off to use the real Hunter screws. The head shape is special, and fits the Hunter cutter much more securely than a standard screw from the store. It actually does make a difference. There are other types of cutters on the market that do work just fine with a regular flat head screw from the local store.

James Boster
02-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks I had already ordered the screws from Hunter do to the special shape. #3 and #4 use the same screw. Got thread information from Hunter. Have a couple tools made but have not used them yet. Had to get one made in hurry for a retirement present for a co-worker.
Thanks again for all the replies.