PDA

View Full Version : What is Norm

Mark Hulette
05-08-2003, 9:58 AM
making?

Check it out here: http://www.newyankee.com/yankeecam.shtml

I thought it was a plant stand at first but now I'm not sure...

Jim Stastny
05-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Looks like a chair to me. However, since the image is updated every minute. I don't know if we saw the same thing.

Glenn Clabo
05-08-2003, 11:55 AM
I think they are plant stands...

Mark Hulette
05-08-2003, 12:12 PM
I gotta agree with the plant stands now that it's come together a little more.

I didn't know they had a "studio" audience. :cool:

Wonder where we can get tickets? :D

Edit: I forgot that the webcam updates every minute so unless you're looking at about the time I made my "studio audience" comment you probably don't get it. There were 5 or 6 folks (other than crew) seated out of camera range. Now it looks they have gone to lunch. Sorry.

Paul Geer
05-08-2003, 1:33 PM
I checked in about 1:23 their time, and looked like about 10 people in the shop looking around, then they all walked out side to look around.

I agree with the planter idea or should I say plant stand, I think that's what it is too...
any way they had plants sitting on it! :)

Charles McKinley
05-08-2003, 1:35 PM
Oh making. Don't know

Doug Edwards
05-08-2003, 2:49 PM
they seem to be eating. First time sandwiches. Second time pie! Third time coffee and donuts. I have yet to see a piece of wook cut or shaped. BTW I think it looks like a colonial style small table (plant stand maybe?).

The group of people must be the sawdust cleaning crew. There never seems to be any in the shop.

Dave Avery
05-08-2003, 2:52 PM
Looks like a drop-leaf table to me.

Dave Arbuckle
05-08-2003, 3:21 PM
Doug, every time I look someone is staring at that computer in the left foreground...

Makes me wonder if the answer to the topic, "What is Norm" is, "A robot?" ;)

Dave

John Lucas
05-08-2003, 3:24 PM
Dave you are right, it does look like small drop leaf table and it has been finished or is a future product that he will replicate...BUT it is different from the plant stand he was making this am. I do not like this program...I have been glued (titbondII) to the computer refreshing every 1 minute. I have been trying to contemplate how to create program where the refresh will be done automatically and then each screen captured so that I could play back quickly in evening. That would be great program to sell.

Dave Anderson
05-08-2003, 3:28 PM
I think the whole idea of a web cam is stupid!

What you folks have been witnessing is pretty normal for a TV shoot. My younger daugher is in the business and between spurts of frenzied activity there are long periods of perceived inactivity. Cast and Crew <u>do not</u> go hungry! :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me and my Netscape 4.7 but I can't get the web cam to update no matter how long I wait between presses of the F5 key. Every time I go the the NYW site and look at the web cam the picture is the same unless I leave the site and come back in.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can get those minute-by-minute updates?

Haven't tried it using IE but my version of that is outdated too. One of the shortcomings of surfing from work is you have to play with what the IT Mavens give you. :eek:

Mark Hulette
05-08-2003, 3:37 PM
John & Dave-
Someone over on WC wrote a Java script for the refresh but I don't have it. I wish now that I had saved it.

John- I agree, a program that would auto-refresh and record for playback would be sweet.

Norm was working on a 3 pc plant stand earlier. I went to lunch and when I returned the drop leaf table was on the assembly table and it looks like a privacy screen close to the door.

When I saw The Toolbelt laying on the TS I knew it was over for the day!!

Dave Avery
05-08-2003, 6:45 PM
Great idea John.

John Lucas
05-09-2003, 1:31 AM
Dave Anderson,
If you t hink the idea is stupid, why try to get your refresh to work?
As to the refresh, try pressing the ctrk key and mouse clicking of the reload key.

Mac McAtee
05-09-2003, 10:24 AM
A lot of money?:D

Joe_Ott
05-09-2003, 10:38 AM
I don't think it's stupid. I find it a little interesting, kinda. Well, it's something to look at if my brain needs a break while sitting at work... If your browser wont refresh the image it might be a local cache setting on your browser or more likely a proxy server someplace in your company is caching it.

I posted the script at WoodCentral. If you just want a quick and dirty html to do it, cut a paste the following to a file named whatever.HTML open in your browser. This will probably work with most browsers - but I'm not supporting it! :)

Joe

<CODE>
&#60;html&#62; <BR>
&#60;head&#62; <BR>
&#60;META HTTP-EQUIV="pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"&#62; <BR>
&#60;META http-equiv=refresh content=60&#62; <BR>
&#60;/head&#62; <BR>
&#60;body bgcolor="#CCCCCC"&#62; <BR>

&#60;IFRAME SRC="http://www.newyankee.com/yankeecam/image.jpg"
TITLE="Norm's web cam" width="640px" height="480px"
marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" align="center" scrolling="no"&#62; <BR>
&#60;/Iframe&#62; <BR>

&#60;/body&#62; <BR>
&#60;/html&#62; <BR>
</CODE>

Dave Anderson
05-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by John Lucas
Dave Anderson,
If you t hink the idea is stupid, why try to get your refresh to work?
As to the refresh, try pressing the ctrk key and mouse clicking of the reload key.

John,
It's stupid because instead of working, I'm glued to the Web Cam! :p

I guess I should have said that I was stupid for spending so much time on this. However, so far I've learned more about the shooting process and the crew's eating habits than woodworking.

Thanks for the tip on refreshing the screen, I'll give it a try.