PDA

View Full Version : Identify wood

Nathan Clark
02-21-2013, 11:35 AM
I temporarily have access to unlimited amounts of this wood. It comes from Northern Utah. It's very heavy, but that could be because it's very green. The problem is I'm not sure if it's worth grabbing. I would use it for wood turning. What is it?

P.S. How do you subscribe to a thread? I can't find the button.

Brian Tax
02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Don't know about the wood, but to subscribe to thread, see the image below.

Nathan Clark
02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks, I was going crazy. I had to go to "view source" and subscribe from the HTML.

Lee Schierer
02-21-2013, 1:03 PM
The bark looks like a poplar type tree, perhaps a Quaking Aspen.

Nathan Clark
02-21-2013, 1:53 PM
I also got some wood that I thought was Quaking Aspen or Birch, this looks different. Notice the dark bands striping the bark horizontally and notice vertical 2 inch groves in the bark. However you might be on to something with the Poplar I just don't know what kind.. I found one poplar picture that fits the bill. (assuming the description is accurate) http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-26215120/stock-photo-tree-trunks-a-poplar.html I've now got my hopes up that it's Mormon Poplar, that seams to be really pretty.

Mike Ontko
02-21-2013, 3:18 PM
Silver Leaf or White Poplar maybe, based on those darker markings (http://www.nps.gov/whmi/naturescience/silver-poplar.htm)?

peter gagliardi
02-21-2013, 4:20 PM
It's poplar.

Frank Drew
02-21-2013, 5:24 PM
Whatever it is, I'd end coat those and any future pieces ASAP.

Andy Pratt
02-21-2013, 6:01 PM
looks like poplar to me, not a very valuable lumber but free is free

Nathan Clark
02-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Whatever it is, I'd end coat those and any future pieces ASAP. I prepared a wax/charcol lighter solution and caped the logs I already have. Im not really clear on storage. I have them outside in a shed, but I wondering if that is going to be too cold in the winter, or too hot in the summer. My basement is cool and dry, but I'd rather not fill my basement with timber. Is it OK to store outside on the east side of the house in the summer? How green is too green for turning? I'd rather not wait 4 years to use this stuff.

Frank Drew
02-25-2013, 6:28 PM
I prepared a wax/charcol lighter solution and caped the logs I already have. Im not really clear on storage. I have them outside in a shed, but I wondering if that is going to be too cold in the winter, or too hot in the summer. My basement is cool and dry, but I'd rather not fill my basement with timber. Is it OK to store outside on the east side of the house in the summer? How green is too green for turning? I'd rather not wait 4 years to use this stuff.

Nathan,

End coating is a good first measure to lessen cracking, but I would not leave your logs in the round for much time at all; if you can't saw them into billets, at the very least saw or split them lengthwise right through the middle to avoid the drying stresses almost guaranteed to crack them.

Outdoors storage is fine throughout the seasons, because it helps to have some air movement when drying wood, but keep them out of too much exposure to direct sun. Wood gives off so much moisture when drying that indoors storage isn't advised.

Nathan Clark
02-25-2013, 7:00 PM
Thanks for your response. I have done some research and determined that it is best to get the Pith out ASAP. However I have no way to cut these logs right now. What is the best budget minded tool to do this? Bandsaws with enough resaw capacity are quite expensive while a chainsaw seams a bit crude. I'm leaning chainsaw, but I am open to suggestions.

Frank Drew
02-25-2013, 8:35 PM
Nathan,

A chain saw can certainly rip logs; I've done it a lot with stuff I wanted for bowl turning. They do make specific ripping chains but a regular chain works almost as well, at least for small amounts. As you get better at it, your cuts will get straighter, leaving less irregularity to clean up later.

Ken Platt
02-25-2013, 10:59 PM
I confess to being lazy with my turning blocks, and not too fussy about getting them to a certain size or shape. So, I have left intact logs for extended periods, then just cut off the cracked end, then cut off whatever chunk I wanted for working with. Of course, the wood stays wet for a long time, which can be fine if you are ok with green turning, and of course sometimes it'll spalt, which may or may not be an effect you are seeking.

When I get a bit more ambitious, I will make blanks by cutting appropriate size lengths with the chain saw, then split with a froe, which I got from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=67231&cat=2,44728,45794,67231. It works pretty well most of the time, and is fairly quick. Much easier than ripping with the chain saw for woods that are cooperative with splitting.

Ken

Charlie MacGregor
02-25-2013, 11:43 PM
If they're not too long, a froe.

Nathan Clark
02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
OK so a chainsaw to cut to length and a a froe to split. Thanks guys.