PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a PM bandsaw...

Troy Turner
02-21-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm not shopping for one, but ran across a fella selling his. Here's what he says:

I am selling my Powermatic Model 043 14" Band Saw. I have used it very lightly in my hobby as a woodworker. The saw comes with its original stand and a rolling base. It is all in good shape.

This band saw was made in Taiwan for Powermatic. It has a 3/4 HP motor that is presently wired for 220 VAC (it can easily be changed back to run on 110 VAC).

I have added a rip fence (shown in the photos) that has a re-saw attachment. The band saw came equipped with ball-bearing blade guides on both the upper and lower blade guides (the photo is of the upper guide). I updated the table angle adjusters to the Model 044 system; this allows for easy angle adjustment of the table.

The tires on the band saw wheels are in good condition. The only problem with the saw is some of the paint has "jumped off" in spots (it looks like the metal was not primed). Despite this there is no rust on the saw.

Do any of ya'll have experience with this model?

Gus Dundon
02-21-2013, 2:58 PM
I am not sure about the model. How much is it ?

Troy Turner
02-21-2013, 3:06 PM
He's asking $400.

Gus Dundon
02-22-2013, 3:42 PM
Don't you think $400 is too high for used band saw? You may want to read this (http://bandsawblog.com/what-to-look-for-in-a-used-band-saw/) . I think I should look up on some Grizzly models.

John Coloccia
02-22-2013, 3:54 PM
That model 043 is an OLD bandsaw. I doubt if you find any information on it at all. It's probably not a bad saw. Personally, knowing nothing else about it, I would pass and not just because it's a lot of money to spend on an old saw.

Julian Tracy
02-22-2013, 4:35 PM
That's a wood & metal bandsaw with a low- speed gearbox. It's not that old if its Asian made. Run, don't walk, the retailed for close to $2500 new or more.