PDA

View Full Version : Book..."John Townsend Newport Cabinetmaker"

Roger Myers
05-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Got home late tonight after our Guild's steering committee meeting to find a nice package...The book I had ordered in advance was waiting for me and at first look, I am very impressed and pleased...
I'll post impressions in the next few days after I have the chance to read it over two or three times....

Alan T - lot's of opportunities for your next project in here :)

For those of you who might have pre-orderd it...you should be getting yours soon too....and I expect you'll love it!!

Roger

James Mittlefehldt
05-05-2005, 1:09 AM
Roger sorry if I am going over old ground here but where is the book published, and where can one get it, I am in Canada?

Tom Stovell
05-05-2005, 10:03 PM
I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on this book. I've got the Moses book, "The Master Craftsmen of Newport" on loan from the library and have been looking through it almost every day now. Too bad that one is out of print (Ball and Claw source in Newport not-withstanding). I had hoped to go to NYC for the exhibit but bad news on the job situation for my wife will probably cause that trip to be cancelled.

Again, I'll be looking forward to your review of the book.

Tom

Roger Myers
05-06-2005, 4:43 PM
Roger sorry if I am going over old ground here but where is the book published, and where can one get it, I am in Canada?

Jim,
ISBN # is 030010717X and it is published by Yale University Press in conjunction with The Metropolitan Musuem of Art and an exhibit running at the Met from May 6 to Sept 25th.

I had pre-ordered mine from Yale University Press http://yalebooks.com
and it was $75.00 Some have reported that they saw it for less, but I'm not sure... to me, I wanted the book as soon as I could get it. A trip to the exhibit will be in the summer plans!!

Tom,
I've been out of town since I got it, so my review is still a little on the short side, but it contains 48 catalogued pieces, with lots of good photos in color and b&W and nice details of construction, along with the provenance, dimensions, etc., of each piece. Book is hardcover, about 225 pages...also has biographical information on John Townsend. Looks to me like a "must have" for anyone who loves the Newport style.

Roger

John Edwards
05-06-2005, 6:19 PM
My copy came (from Yale) via UPS today. Second the motion that it is indeed a fine, fine read.
Barnes and Noble does have it for 60.00 IIRC with free shipping.
Bought two one to use. One to keep untouched.