PDA

View Full Version : Prototype - Rotary Vacuum adapter- shop built

Roger Chandler
02-20-2013, 11:55 PM
First of all, thanks to all that replied in my recent thread "Going for a stronger Vacuum system" ......there were many helpful replies from my fellow creekers........again, thank you much!

Among those replies was one from Doug Wolf, who sent me a link to a .pdf file from the pueblo woodturners and someone made a similar adapter to the one you see in the pics here......this has larger bearing, and brass fittings turned down to the diameter of the inside race on the bearing.........again this is just a prototype, and I have not sealed anything as of yet, because I need to make some more minor adjustments.

My feet got so cold tonight out in the shop that I had to call it a night, so pics of the progress so far............

The material is UHMW and the fitting is just a 3/8" brass hose barb, put into a coupling which was turned down by me to match the inside diameter of the bearing. The bearing is double sealed.

Any further tips are welcomed........I am going to get this system up and going before too long.......I still have a couple of filters to purchase, but that should not be an issue......

Comments welcomed and suggestions for improvements are as well! :) Sorry for the less than stellar pics! 254974

John M. Smith
02-21-2013, 5:51 AM
Roger, Can not see the pictures. :(

Patrick Moran
02-21-2013, 6:05 AM
I can't see pictures either.

Roger Chandler
02-21-2013, 6:52 AM
Roger, Can not see the pictures. :(

I uploaded them.......I have a pm into the moderator about this.

Roger Chandler
02-21-2013, 8:20 AM
Okay........I got the pics reloaded.........I put them in the first post as you can see, now!

Fred Belknap
02-21-2013, 8:36 AM
Roger thanks for posting. I'm curious as I know you have the same lathe as me and I may need to do the same thing. The lamp rod adapter thing from Holdfast seems kind of rinky dink but it has worked so far although it catches every now and then and puts an extra kink in the hose.

Roger Chandler
02-21-2013, 9:25 AM
Roger thanks for posting. I'm curious as I know you have the same lathe as me and I may need to do the same thing. The lamp rod adapter thing from Holdfast seems kind of rinky dink but it has worked so far although it catches every now and then and puts an extra kink in the hose.

Sounds like you need a replacement adapter.........I have an extra one from Hold Fast.......they can be purchased as an individual item....not too expensive. Since I am going to go with a vacuum pump, I thought I would try to make an adaptor........I can also use my Hold Fast adapter as well....just in case!

I drilled out the bore in my spindle to a larger size than came from the factory.......since it was out of warranty anyway :D and now I have a 1/2" hole in the spindle to accept a larger adapter, but the Hold fast works just fine as well. I would not recommend anyone boring out their spindle unless their machine is out of warranty and they are pretty certain they can bore it out straight and true....!

John Spitters
02-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Roger
If your's works as well as mine you'll be very happy.
I've been using mine now for apx. 3 yrs or more, I like how it's just so quick and simple to attach to the lathe.
Mine however was made from a few scraps of corian glued together with C.A. and the bearing and brass nipple was glued in place with JB weld, the O-rings were added after these pics. Unlike yours with mine I would really hate myself if I was to drop it on the concrete floor.

John

Roger Chandler
02-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Roger
If your's works as well as mine you'll be very happy.
I've been using mine now for apx. 3 yrs or more, I like how it's just so quick and simple to attach to the lathe.
Mine however was made from a few scraps of corian glued together with C.A. and the bearing and brass nipple was glued in place with JB weld, the O-rings were added after these pics. Unlike yours with mine I would really hate myself if I was to drop it on the concrete floor.

John

Thanks for the pic, John........I tried to find some corian scraps.......even called a cabinet shop.......no luck! This UMHW rod is really good stuff....only issue is the material strings out as you cut it and wraps around your live center, chuck, etc.......have to stop every few seconds and clear the stuff away.......pain in the neck!

David C. Roseman
02-21-2013, 2:24 PM
Very nice work, Roger! And very clever to bore out the spindle for more room for the adapter!

How will you seal between the bearing and the UHMW, and keep the bearing in place in its recess? A 1-3/8" O-ring would work for the seal. I'm not sure I'd trust the vacuum alone to keep the bearing in place. I think there are special industrial adhesives that would work with the UHMW. Conventional stuff not so much.

David

Roger Chandler
02-21-2013, 2:40 PM
David, I plan to put some sealant on the 3 o-rings and put a larger o-ring where the adapter meets the end of the spindle.

David C. Roseman
02-21-2013, 5:12 PM
Roger, actually the seal I'm wondering about is between the bearing itself and the bottom of the recess that you've bored (or turned) for it in the outboard end of your adapter. A 1-3/8" O-ring would do the trick, so long as the bearing adequately presses against it. The suction from the vacuum may be enough to do this, but I don't know. Silicon sealant or a urethane sealant, or maybe even JB Weld like John Spitters used with his Corian (BTW, very nice, John!) might also work in lieu of an O-ring. But I don't think they will adhere to the UHMW.

David

Roger Chandler
02-21-2013, 7:28 PM
Roger, actually the seal I'm wondering about is between the bearing itself and the bottom of the recess that you've bored (or turned) for it in the outboard end of your adapter. A 1-3/8" O-ring would do the trick, so long as the bearing adequately presses against it. The suction from the vacuum may be enough to do this, but I don't know. Silicon sealant or a urethane sealant, or maybe even JB Weld like John Spitters used with his Corian (BTW, very nice, John!) might also work in lieu of an O-ring. But I don't think they will adhere to the UHMW.

David

According to the .pdf file from pueblo woodturners silicon sealant of E6000 is what they used to make that seal.........I was thinking that clear silicon sealant would be flexible and seal well.......it hardens some, and makes a rubbery seal...........:confused:

Josh Bowman
02-21-2013, 7:50 PM
Roger, that looks great. Hurry up and use it so we can see how well it works.

Bob Bergstrom
02-21-2013, 8:04 PM
One could get enough corian for this size project from the samples they give away at the big box stores.

Doug Wolf
02-21-2013, 8:56 PM
Roger Congratulations on the UHMW adaptor. Looks good. You won't need any sealant on the 3 O-rings, it would just make a mess out of your spindle. But be sure and use an O-ring at the base of the adaptor at the end of the spindle like you said you would. When the vacuum is on it will suck the adaptor in against the spindle and give you a good seal. The 3 O-rings you have on the shaft are mainly there to center the adaptor in the spindle. As you saw in the pdf I wrote the sealant E-6000 will work for the bearing to UHMW joint and be sure to put an O-ring between the bearing and UHMW like David mentioned.

Roger Chandler
02-21-2013, 9:45 PM
Rodger Congratulation on the UHMW adaptor. Looks good. You won't need any sealant on the 3 O-rings, it would just make a mess out of your spindle. But be sure and use an O-ring at the base of the adaptor at the end of the spindle like you said you would. When the vacuum is on it will suck the adaptor in against the spindle and give you a good seal. The 3 O-rings you have on the shaft are mainly there to center the adaptor in the spindle. As you saw in the pdf I wrote the sealant E-6000 will work for the bearing to UHMW joint and be sure to put an O-ring between the bearing and UHMW like David mentioned.

Thanks for the link to the info Doug.......much appreciated!