PDA

View Full Version : Live Free or Die

Mark Stutz
05-04-2005, 10:23 PM
No, I have not moved to New Hampshire, but for a while last weekend I really wished I had. I needed to be in Boston for a conference, and was able to visit with my son. But the best part was that it coincided with the Live Free or Die tool auction (http://www.mjdtools.com/auction/auct_main.htm) . This was my first experience at such an event but it won't be my last! I was only able to go on Sat., which was the day for the "high end" collector type stuff. WOW :D Most of the stuff I would be afraid to use, some even to touch! It's amazing to know that something you held in your hands later sold for $4000 :eek: ...that's correct, 3 zeros. A pair of moulding planes. I met up with fellow Creeker Dave anderson and he showed me the ropes! I was able to get a nice set of T&G planes...Stanley #48 and #49...only because no one else wanted them. It took all of about 15 seconds. They go thru about 150 lots an hour.

Now I know that all of you experienced Neanders, and those from the Northeast are probably rolling their eyes about now, for all the rest of you, this is something you have to experience someday. Next time I will definitely be there both days, as more everyday stuff is done on Friday.

After we left the auction--everything else too rich for my blood--we visited Chester Toolworks. I had placed a special order for a Bubinga handled plane hammer, and while I was there picked up an awl to match my marking knife. We spent most of the day "talking wood", but the best was yet to come. Dave took me to visit his local tool store. No, I'm not talking HD, etc. :D I have never before seen an entire antique store devoted to tools! I'm sure I made a big mess drooling all over the place. I couldn't decide what to look at first! Talk about a kid in a candy store :eek: :D It just isn't fair that it's half way across the country, but just in his back yard!

Erin Raasch
05-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Nice haul - both the old and the new. There are times when I'm just insanely jealous of all the New Englanders here - they've got all the goodies, right in their own backyards!

Roger Myers
05-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Good trip Mark...
I had hoped to hook up with you and Dave, but after spending a good part of Friday at the auction, I ended up with lots of stuff to do on Saturday, and my tool budget is pretty much bankrupt at the moment (Friday's haul was a very modest purchase of a full set of matched plow plane irons which are now sitting very happily next to one of my plow planes).
Good to know that you will be back again, although I don't need any more competition at the auctions :)
Roger

Roy Wall
05-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Nice planes Mark!!! Even nicer company.................

Glad you had a great experience....I would also love to go sometime...

Dennis McDonaugh
05-05-2005, 12:33 AM
What a great day Mark. One day I want to make it to one of those auctions.

James Mittlefehldt
05-05-2005, 12:56 AM
MArk where in New Hampshire is the tool store with the puddles of drool, I might be in Southern New Hampshire in late June and if it is anywhere near Manchester I want to see it. I have to drop my daughter off at school there , and will be there assuming work schedule does not conflict.

Nice haul by the way and specifically what sort of stuff sold on Friday was it spare parts and such, I am looking for a fence for a Stanley 78 I think.

Dave Anderson NH
05-05-2005, 1:59 PM
The Tool Store I took Mark to was The New Boston Tool Rom and is owned by long time antique tool dealer Phil Whitby. It is in Kingston NH and is unfortunately for my wallet only a 15 minute drive from my house. For James, Kingston, and the shop in particular, are about a 40 minute drive via multilane highway from the Manchester airport.

Having Mark come back to visit for a second time was a great treat and we had a wonderful day and evening together befor he had to head back toward Boston to meet up with his wife. I enjoyed the company at the auction, particularly so since my tool budget was non-existant after buying a honker of a new lathe two weeks before. Mark spent money, and I watched.:D

Mark Stutz
05-05-2005, 8:55 PM
James,
I'm glad that Dave jumped in with directions to Phil's shop. The truth is, I had absolutely no idea where I was! :eek: I highly recommend a visit if yopu are in the area.
I'm sure the old hands will jump in, but I suspect you can find about anything you want at the tailgate sales in the parking lot. Unfortunately, it was raining when I was there, so that put a damper, so to speak, on things. If you check out the web site, you can see the items in the catalog auction and at least get a list on the other day.

Dave,
I could tell you were having fun watching someone else spend money! :D

Again, I would recommend this activity to everyone with any interest at all in old tools.

Mark

Roy Wall
05-05-2005, 10:00 PM
I'll be flying in to VT in August............how far a drive is it?