PDA

View Full Version : MM S45N or Hammer N4400

Jim Barrett
02-20-2013, 8:35 PM
Leaning towards the MM S45N but would like to hear other thoughts...don't do much if any re sawing so that is not a big requirement. Mostly joinery and typical curve cuts, etc...I know both are very nice saws...

Jim

Jim Becker
02-20-2013, 9:08 PM
Why would you not keep your MM16...it's a better saw than the S45N, IMHO...and paid for.

Jim Barrett
02-20-2013, 9:30 PM
I want a more "refined" bandsaw IMO...OK don't want to get into a debate about this...the MM16 is gone so lets stay on the topic, OK!

Jim

John Coloccia
02-20-2013, 9:50 PM
If all you don't do any resawing, why not consider something like a Grizzly g0514X2. That's a heck of a bandsaw for not much money. I'm very happy with mine, though I'd like to add an MM16 to the mix and dedicate the Minimax to resawing and ripping. Right now, my 514 is dedicated to resaw and ripping and it's a great performer no doubt, but at one point I mainly did curve cutting with it and was very satisfied.

It would help if you explained what you prefer about the S45 over the MM16 you just sold. It seems like an odd choice so you probably need to clarify what you're looking for because I suspect the vast majority of us here would take the MM16 over the S45 in a heartbeat.

Jim Barrett
02-20-2013, 10:06 PM
If all you don't do any resawing, why not consider something like a Grizzly g0514X2. That's a heck of a bandsaw for not much money. I'm very happy with mine, though I'd like to add an MM16 to the mix and dedicate the Minimax to resawing and ripping. Right now, my 514 is dedicated to resaw and ripping and it's a great performer no doubt, but at one point I mainly did curve cutting with it and was very satisfied.

It would help if you explained what you prefer about the S45 over the MM16 you just sold. It seems like an odd choice so you probably need to clarify what you're looking for because I suspect the vast majority of us here would take the MM16 over the S45 in a heartbeat.

I did not like the fence, the guides, and that you had to loosen a bolt with a wrench to tilt, or the mobility of the machine. I have to move my BS to use it in my shop. Maybe picky but that is why I sold it and am looking for a more refined BS with a larger table...or maybe why do more Europeans buy the S45 than the MM16?
Hope that helps to answer your question?

Jim

Jim Barrett
02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
If all you don't do any resawing, why not consider something like a Grizzly g0514X2. That's a heck of a bandsaw for not much money.

May take a look at the Grizzly since they are about 90 minutes away from me...
Thanks for the recommendation.

Jim

Jim Becker
02-21-2013, 9:11 PM
I meant no offense, Jim. I just didn't understand the motivation...

Jim Barrett
02-21-2013, 9:54 PM
I meant no offense, Jim. I just didn't understand the motivation...

No problem...:)

Jim

Gus Dundon
02-22-2013, 2:33 PM
Hammer N4400 looks like a better saw than MM S45N .

Mike Tekin
02-22-2013, 4:37 PM
Jim,

If you weren't aware, Hammer has a user group on Yahoo groups just like Minimax does and might be worth checking out. I am a member because I was looking at the Hammer awhile ago. You mentioned you don't want fussy guides and a lot of the posters there who actually own the saw complain of the guides being "fussy" and wanting to replace them with aftermarket ones.

I don't know anything about the S45N but do know that the new MM16s are shipping with Carter European style Guides based on one of the reps feedback on this forum. It might be worth checking, if you haven't done so already to see if the S45N has these.

I do agree with John, though, the Grizzly is a decent saw and I know the fence appears to be nice, not to mention the extra support you get from the table drift mechanism.

Jeff Monson
02-22-2013, 4:44 PM
Hammer N4400 looks like a better saw than MM S45N .

I have seen both, I'd say a horse a piece, for me it would come down to price and what brand I preferred.

Rich Riddle
02-23-2013, 9:24 PM
Jim,
If you weren't aware, Hammer has a user group on Yahoo groups just like Minimax does and might be worth checking out.He's aware of that since he's posting identical post with countless responses on Hammer's, Mini Max's, LJ's, here, etc., etc., etc.