View Full Version : The heat is on....finally!!

Justin Jump
02-20-2013, 7:46 PM
I finally broke down and installed a minisplit.

It's a Klimaire from heat and cool.com.

12K BTU, inverter heat and a/c.

Ordering and delivery was surprising, ordered on Saturday, and the unit was delivered on Wednesday.

Installation was straight forward, and I left the connections and vacumming and purging to a pro.

The unit itself was $833, and extra $150 for the HVAC guy, and another $200 for the outdoor lineset cover.

I will say, the Mitsubushi Mr. Slim is the cadillac, and if you can spring for one, then I would.

There are some real cheap ones out there, and this is just about in the middle.

It's been in the teens at night here in PA, and so far no issues, it's kept the shop at 70 with no problems.

Now, this is only after 4 days, we'll see in 4 months how everything is holding up!

JJ in Pittsburgh

Steve Goetz
02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Justin,
How large of a shop are you heating with this unit?

Mike Hollingsworth
02-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Looks like you ran the condensation line horizontally behind the air handler. It will leak down the inside wall.

Carl Beckett
02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Looks like you ran the condensation line horizontally behind the air handler. It will leak down the inside wall.

Im not seeing it Mike. Enlighten me...?

Justin Jump
02-21-2013, 11:16 AM
@ Steve - 500 sq. ft, thats why I went with a 12,000 BTU unit, they make smaller and bigger BUT's though......

@ Mike - yes, on the inside of the shop, the condensate line does run horizontally, for @ 18 inches, then dumps throught the hole in the wall, into the conduit you see poking through at the bottom of the lineset cover behind the outside unit. On that unit, you have to go horizontal, either right or left, and then either through the wall, or out the side of thr unti. I didnt want it out the side "inside" the shop, so I chose to run it outside through the hole in the wall. Not sure how it will leak, it's a pretty tight connection, and how it's done on most installations.

Harry Hagan
02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Congrats . . .keep us posted.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-21-2013, 2:52 PM
Justin,that cools too, right?

John Donofrio
02-21-2013, 3:24 PM
Nice install Justin. You'll love it. Those things are so quiet you hardly know they're running.

Question: where did you get, or what did you use, as the line set cover? Mine are still exposed since I haven't come up with a plan for a cover. Thought about a downspout cut open... maybe. Yours looks really nice.

Another question: from where in or around the 'Burgh? I grew up (debatable) in the Irwin/Greensburg area, Adamsburg to be exact.

Justin Jump
02-21-2013, 3:48 PM
@ Steve - yes, it is a a/c also....and a dehumidifier.

@ John....

Got the lineset cover from Grainger, but I am sure you could get it from other places. It is made by Diversitech. It's 2 halves, so you can retro fit it onto a lineset already ran, but screwing it into your structure might be difficult with the lineste in the way.

http://www.diversitech.com

I grew up and still live in a town called Blawnox, right across the river from Oakmont/Verona, 2 exits from the Irwin exit.

John Donofrio
02-21-2013, 5:01 PM
Got the lineset cover from Grainger, but I am sure you could get it from other places. It is made by Diversitech. It's 2 halves, so you can retro fit it onto a lineset already ran, but screwing it into your structure might be difficult with the lineste in the way.

Thanks Justin! That's exactly what I was looking for. Not sure why I wasn't having any success finding something like this but I'll be placing an order very soon.

Bill Space
02-21-2013, 10:31 PM
HI,

I live in Pittsburgh too...more or less...15 minutes from downtown to the North...

Anyway, glad you got something you are happy with.

My basement shop is also above ground... don't have AC but do have a wall furnace for heat in the winter. Never needed AC for the summer... South facing solar heating design and all that.

So I am wondering if you really need AC or if your blood is just thicker than mine???

Glad you are happy with the installation! If I had it I probably would be too!

Bill

Mike Hollingsworth
02-22-2013, 7:42 PM
Im not seeing it Mike. Enlighten me...?

Carl

I found that the condensation line must exit the rear immediately and then down. Not horizontally across the back of the unit and then down. Otherwise it backs up in the reserve tray in the air handler and then down the wall. My experience after installing nine of these units.