PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Grizzly's track feeder G1168 (or G1135 1-PH)?

J.R. Rutter
02-20-2013, 7:14 PM
One of my feeders broke down today and I was considering Grizzly's track feeder as a replacement. The strange thing is that the spec for minimum part length is 2" longer than their normal 4-roll feeder: 8" vs 6". Grizzly tech support is closed now, so I tried to find any data on the web site that might help. They do not have any specs for spacing between roller centers or roller diameter that might help determine if this 8" number is legit. They do not even have photos of the business side of the feeder to get an idea of clearances, spacing, etc.

It seems odd that a belted feeder would underperform a standard roller feeder with regards to part length...

Mel Fulks
02-20-2013, 7:33 PM
I agree. I've never used the tank tread type ,but I've always thought being able to run shorter pcs was the whole point. If you haven't already done so I would check with another company.

J.R. Rutter
02-20-2013, 7:39 PM
Extrema has some options as well, but no real data. I will get in touch with them tomorrow. At least I saw the roller side of their version of the Grizzly track feeder:

http://www.extremausa.com/images/products/power-feeders/xf-54t.png

But it looks like this model is actually the best option, from Extrema or Blue Steel:

http://www.advanced-machinery.com/uploads/product_pictures/f330c17a642974707f9b7af1e44b6b52.jpg

Mel Fulks
02-20-2013, 7:58 PM
This question reminds me we were of different views on the question of "face up or face down". With face down ,we have always just tacked a pc of plywood to the backs of a line of short pcs. That works and the only set up change is to the feeder height. Interested in what you find out on tank tread specs.

david brum
02-20-2013, 8:11 PM
Here's a little better photo of the Comatic AF04. I imagine it's the same as the Grizzly, with a few trim differences. Man, one of those feeders would be really useful!

J.R. Rutter
02-20-2013, 8:20 PM
This question reminds me we were of different views on the question of "face up or face down". With face down ,we have always just tacked a pc of plywood to the backs of a line of short pcs. That works and the only set up change is to the feeder height. Interested in what you find out on tank tread specs.

Oh yeah, I remember. Good idea on tacking ply onto the backs.

Generally, I've been making a coped backer board to nest the profile and coping the few short rails after sticking a longer piece. But my goal is to be able to have a minimally trained person handle this task without anything special going on. Ritter wants close to $6k for their mini-roller short part feeder, so I am interested in seeing what the Comatic options are. Maggi/Steff doesn't seem to have anything but a tank tread conversion for this sort of thing, which I already had with the Western Roller belt conversion on my Maggi 3-wheeler.

David Kumm
02-20-2013, 8:21 PM
Any economics to getting a standard feeder and a conversion kit from Western? Dave

Mel Fulks
02-20-2013, 9:01 PM
I'm sure the guy who first thought of the plywood is long gone . The prices you are talking about are staggering ,good luck.

J.R. Rutter
02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Any economics to getting a standard feeder and a conversion kit from Western? Dave

I'm trying to do better than the Western kit, which is on the feeder that just died a crunchy, leaky death. It works well when the belts are fresh, but as they stretch it gets a little dicey with rails shorter than 7" or so. I will transfer the belts to a spare feeder that I will be putting on until I figure out a long term solution.

It is spendy, but still less than a chain feed like a Unique sticking machine, Voorwood, or even Lobo...

Mike Heidrick
02-21-2013, 1:44 AM
Like stated above all Griz feeders are comatic so look there JR. Extrema's are also comatic. That second picture even has the comatic QA tag on the rear of it.
Here is an overseas comatic contact for you - They will answer tonight due to the time differences :)

selena.wei@co-matic.com <selena.wei@co-matic.com>

Selena Wei
----------------------------------------------------
CO-MATIC MACHINERY CO., LTD.
TEL: +886-4-2556-7105
FAX: +886-4-2556-7109
NR.473-16, SAN FENG ROAD, HOULI,
TAICHUNG, TAIWAN 42156
www.co-matic.com (http://www.co-matic.com/)
----------------------------------------------------