PDA

View Full Version : Uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????

Chris Griggs
02-20-2013, 5:06 PM
One of the oddest things I've seen on the bay yet....kinda cool, but very very odd. It made me giggle, and so I had to share it with all of my Neander friends....

Search 150994906167

Nothin' like a good I saw it on Ebay thread to lighten the mood

David Weaver
02-20-2013, 5:15 PM
Made with the super rare barbara streisand approved "Babinga" wood.

Sean Hughto
02-20-2013, 5:16 PM
Ba-da-binga Ba-da-Boom!

Chris Griggs
02-20-2013, 5:58 PM
Made with the super rare barbara streisand approved "Babinga" wood.

Priceless!

John Coloccia
02-20-2013, 6:00 PM
All I can say is that if you're going to call a hand plane a "peace" of art (LOL), you'd better at least clock the screws :)

Mark Baldwin III
02-20-2013, 7:36 PM
Thanks for posting that. I feel much better about my own unsuccessful tool building/modification efforts now.

Jim Neeley
02-20-2013, 7:36 PM
'e did, John.. Just not the ones on the plane!! :-)

Chris Griggs
02-20-2013, 7:50 PM
All I can say is that if you're going to call a hand plane a "peace" of art (LOL), you'd better at least clock the screws :)

Well John, of course he didn't clock them...they're phillips head!

I keep looking at the "babinga" and thinking that it looks like a Lee Valley prototype that never made it to market. The designer was not only fired, but promptly deported from Canada, and now resides NYC.

My favorite part is the description... "Compare it to similar models from Clifton or Lie-Nielsen ....you'll see what I mean."

Pat Barry
02-20-2013, 8:23 PM
That sure is a beauty. Thanks for posting.

Jim Matthews
02-20-2013, 9:05 PM
I kinda liked his take on the router plane.

I suppose if you set your price sky high,
you've got room to negotiate?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-20-2013, 9:18 PM
The sellers "Very unique Veneer Adhesive Sqeegee Lathing Hammer" was nice, but not 100 dollars nice. . .

Chris Griggs
02-20-2013, 9:44 PM
I agree. The things have their charm. I was just thinking that if someone posted those tools in a thread and said "hey look what I made" I'd be very complementary, especially about the router plane. It's a lovely shop made tool. The handles in the rabbet are even kinda cool albeit the purpose is somewhat confusing....perhaps someone was adapting it to actually cut rabbets as opposed to as a shoulder plane.

Interesting stuff indeed...just not $400 interesting...and the descriptions are endlessly entertaining

Roy Lindberry
02-21-2013, 4:33 PM
The sellers "Very unique Veneer Adhesive Sqeegee Lathing Hammer" was nice, but not 100 dollars nice. . .

Perhaps you didn't consider the fact that its not a hammer, but a hummer...

"I have tried many different Veneer hummers and found this one to be the most comfortable to work with."

Bet that hundred dollars seems pretty cheap now, huh? Meanwhile, I need to get back out to the shop to finish hummering some veneer.

daniel lane
02-21-2013, 6:26 PM
He keeps saying, "one of a kind." I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

Jim Matthews
02-21-2013, 6:29 PM
He keeps saying, "one of a kind." I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Chris Griggs
02-21-2013, 6:50 PM
Inconceivable!

:DLove the reference Daniel & Jim! Frequently quoted in my household.

daniel lane
02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
I'm kind of surprised someone picked up the reference so fast. Guess William Goldman is more popular than I thought. :)

daniel

Rob Dickson
02-22-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm kind of surprised someone picked up the reference so fast. Guess William Goldman is more popular than I thought. :)

Just watched it last weekend for the umpteenth time....it was the first time for my seven year old though. I though my wife and I were going to die laughing at his reactions!

daniel lane
02-22-2013, 3:11 PM
Just watched it last weekend for the umpteenth time....it was the first time for my seven year old though. I though my wife and I were going to die laughing at his reactions!

Somewhere I have one of the early '70s printings, I intend to read it to my son before I show him the movie. Maybe when he's sick in bed someday... :)

daniel

Chris Griggs
02-22-2013, 3:15 PM
I wonder if its too late to get the bishop from that movie to officiate my wedding......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2m6sHROA3U

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-23-2013, 9:52 AM
I think Peter Cook died in the mid-90's, so probably too late.