PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Wiring on Switch

Mark Largent
02-20-2013, 4:53 PM
I've got a late 1960s Delta 14" bandsaw. It came from the previous owner with a household light switch in place of the original switch. I want to replace it with something more appropriate, so I bought a $10 paddle switch off Amazon.

There are three wires going to the old switch - a ground and two wires that, when connected together, power the motor. So, obviously the old switch was just opening and closing the circuit that's made when these two wires are joined.

I wired up the new paddle switch - which seems to have just two spots for power in and two spots for power out (I'm guessing that this is for 110 or 220). There's no place for the ground to go.

The switch only works when I hold down the "on" button. It doesn't lock on. So I sent it back to Amazon and they sent me a new one. The exact same thing happens. So, now I'm assuming that the problem is my wiring.

Can someone help me with this? No documentation came with the switch, but there is a wiring schematic on the back of the switch, which I don't know how to read (see pics).

Thanks,
Mark

Rod Sheridan
02-20-2013, 5:31 PM
Hi MarK, is your saw 1/2 HP or less?

If so the switch is fine for your application, if your motor is larger than 1/2 HP you need a different switch.

The switch you purchased has an under-voltage release coils that opens the switch upon power failure, which is a nice safety feature for a saw.

You need to wire the switch as follows

13 black wire from line cord (line)

23 white wire from line cord (neutral)

14 black wire to motor

24 white wire to motor

The green ground wires of course are both connected to the ground screw in the switch box......................Regards, Rod.

Mark Largent
02-20-2013, 6:41 PM
Ron:

Thanks so much for the detailed reply - this is really helpful! I'll root around in the base to find the other pair of wires and come looking for more help if I can't find them.

Thanks!
Mark

Mark Largent
02-20-2013, 6:50 PM
Ok, that didn't take long .... I've got more questions.

There are only three wires. I've got three wires coming from the plug, going into a junction box that's on top of the 1/2 hp motor. Then there are three other wires coming out of the junction box (black, white, and green).

Can I even use this style of switch on this application?

Alan Schaffter
02-20-2013, 8:57 PM
That is a true magnetic switch. If you follow this link (http://www.phaseda.com/switch/KJD17_push.htm) to the manufacturer's page you'll see a link to the spec sheet which has a wiring diagram.

You need to wire the incoming power leads (typically black and white) to terminals 13 & 23 and the corresponding black and white wires to the motor to terminals 14 & 24. You MUST connect BOTH black and white wires. When you push "ON" power goes to the motor AND powers the coil which keeps the switch closed. If power is interrupted the contacts open.

The green ground wires are connected together separately. Did you double check that the outlet is hot, the plug is wired, and the motor is wired correctly and there is not a popped manual reset on the motor?

If all else fails, check out the last sentence in the third paragraph of vonkal's Amazon review (http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D4160-110-Volt-Paddle-Switch/dp/B005W17HYY/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1361410068&sr=1-2&keywords=paddle+switch). :D

Alan Schaffter
02-20-2013, 9:11 PM
Ok, that didn't take long .... I've got more questions.

There are only three wires. I've got three wires coming from the plug, going into a junction box that's on top of the 1/2 hp motor. Then there are three other wires coming out of the junction box (black, white, and green).

Can I even use this style of switch on this application?

Open up the junction box, disconnect all wires and rewire it the way Rod and I say- Evidently the previous switch was not magnetic so the previous owner ran the "3 wires" to a switch that connected the black to the white. Run the power cord directly to the switch and the output from the switch to the motor. You can probably eliminate the junction box by running a new cord from the switch to the motor.

David L Morse
02-20-2013, 9:41 PM
It sounds like you will need to move the wire with the plug from the junction box on the motor to the box with the switch.

What you probably have now:
What you need:
All of the (Green) ground wires need to be connected to each other as well as grounding screws in the boxes.

Mark Largent
02-20-2013, 9:51 PM
This is really helpful - thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes.