PDA

View Full Version : Question About Blum Undermount Slides

Ken Krawford
02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
A couple of weeks ago several of you were kind enough to give me some recommendations regarding drawer slides. I settled on the Blum 563H series. I've made my first drawer box and am attempting a test fit. First off, I've checked the box for square, etc. and it's as close to perfect as I can make. I'm not sure of terminology, but the little pointed metal projection on the back of the slide that engages the 6mm hole in the back of the drawer box won't fit flush on the left side. The one on the right is perfectly flush. I called Blum and they said that is normal. If I take the drawer box out of the carcass and mount the slide, it fits perfectly flush on both sides. Everything else seems fine.
Am I making a big deal out of nothing or is there something that I'm doing wrong?
As always, thanks for your feedback.

Jeff Monson
02-20-2013, 3:53 PM
Ken, I recall noticing the same thing, as long as the slide is locking into the "locking device" then I would not worry about it. The left side slide must be slightly longer is the only conclusion I can think of. The drawers I noticed it on all worked great, so I let it go at that, they could have all been that way, I just didnt pay much attention.

Jeff Duncan
02-20-2013, 4:20 PM
Is the drawer working correctly? I have to be honest, I've used hundreds of the 562's and don't think I ever looked to see if both slides were engaged equally. Guess I just assumed they would be? I have a few cases of the newer 563's but I haven't gotten to install any yet so not sure if there's a difference? Most important thing though is that they work correctly as nobody is ever going to check them once they're all installed;)

good luck,
JeffD

Larry Prem
02-20-2013, 8:19 PM
The gap is a result of something being out of spec/square. If the drawer is square and the slides are installed perfectly parallel, there would not be a gap.
The rear lock primarily keeps the drawer from tilting up in the rear. It's the front lock that secures the drawer horizontally. As long as the rear pin engages, the slides work as designed.

While the gap is an error, the front of your drawer seats fine. You did your job. I built and installed about 50 drawers with Blum slides. The ones that have this gap problem all work fine.

In other words, Blum built some slack into the design to make the slides work in an imperfect world.

Robert Chapman
02-20-2013, 8:55 PM
I would fiddle with the height adjustment for the rear of the drawer and see if things straighten up. Blum slides are pretty forgiving.

Ken Krawford
02-20-2013, 9:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I finally figured it out. Look at the attached picture. The mounting pin on the slide on the left sits ~ 3/16" further forward than the one on the right. This is due to the height adjustment lever being on only the left slide. That's the gizmo the arrow is pointing to.
I can sleep tonight. Get a life !!!254964