PDA

View Full Version : Where do all the 10% off Lowes coupons come from?

Wade Lippman
02-20-2013, 7:16 AM
I moved 6 months ago and am now building my shop. I have spent sever thousand there and saved several hundred with 10$ off coupons that I buy at ebay for $2.

Where do the sellers get them? One guy has about 50 auctions a day for 5 coupons each, so he has to get 250 a day. How?

My guess is that Lowes see it a s a promotional activity and just feed these guys coupons. People who buy at 10% off get the normal price and suckers who don't get the sucker price. Well that's my theory. Any know.

Myk Rian
02-20-2013, 7:20 AM
You get them for free at the post office. Ask for the moving pack.

Joe Angrisani
02-20-2013, 9:24 AM
You get them for free at the post office. Ask for the moving pack.

Not any more. It's all done online, where you can print out one Lowes 10%er. Haven't seen an actual "Change Of Address Kit" at the Post Office since late 2010.

Myk Rian
02-20-2013, 9:27 AM
We can still get those packs here.

Wade Lippman
02-20-2013, 9:38 AM
The ones my Post Office has let you register your email address with Lowes to get a coupon.
IIRC, my email address was on the coupon.
These guys are selling hundreds daily; they are links to Lowes, which come up with one use bar coded coupons with no email address.
So I don't think they are getting them from Post Offices.
But where?

Bob Coleman
02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Most post offices around here keep the change of address packets behind the counter now. Just ask for one. (of course, that is to keep people from taking the whole stack, so you may not be able to get a lot of coupons that way)

Myk Rian
02-20-2013, 12:20 PM
So I don't think they are getting them from Post Offices.
But where?
It could be USPS employees taking them.

Greg Cuetara
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
If you want a better deal grab one of your WW magazines and pull out the 20% off coupon to harbor freight and bring it in.

Brian Elfert
02-20-2013, 5:27 PM
One of the local carrier annexes had the moving packets just out on the counter last spring/summer. I took 4 or 5 of them. The coupons only came in the full packets. The little one page fliers advising you to forward you mail online did not have the coupons.

Supposedly, the full packets no longer have the Lowe's coupons so I have no idea where the Ebay folks are getting them now.

Joe Angrisani
02-20-2013, 6:33 PM
If you want a better deal grab one of your WW magazines and pull out the 20% off coupon to harbor freight and bring it in.

The Lowe's coupon they're talking about is 10% off the whole order. Lumber, windows, tools, tile, thinset, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Can be significantly more than 20% off one item (and lord knows I make my love of the Harbor Freight 20%er obvious around SMC). The Lowe's coupon is a great remodeling coupon, especially when used at lower-priced Home Depot.

Joe Angrisani
02-20-2013, 6:38 PM

If you do want a truly better deal on one item, try this 25% one, good through 3/12/13. ;)

Greg Cuetara
02-20-2013, 7:28 PM
Joe tried that one and home depot will not honor any printed coupons. I walked over to the magazine rack and pulled out one of the 20% off one's and they accepted it.

John Fabre
02-20-2013, 7:35 PM
I moved 6 months ago and am now building my shop. I have spent sever thousand there and saved several hundred with 10$ off coupons that I buy at ebay for $2.

Don't buy those off eBay, get them free online. Just think that guy made enough to remodel his house. What a racket.

Wade Lippman
02-20-2013, 8:18 PM
Don't buy those off eBay, get them free online. Just think that guy made enough to remodel his house. What a racket.

Okay, how do you get them free online? If that's possible, it might answer my question...

Jay Runde
02-20-2013, 11:09 PM
http://www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registration_253641591_

Brian Elfert
02-20-2013, 11:32 PM
I highly doubt Lowe's is purposely giving folks coupons to sell on Ebay. Why wouldn't the retailer just give away the coupons directly? Also, many of people of the folks buying Lowe's coupons on Ebay are using them at Home Depot or Menards. I have personally never used a Lowe's coupon at Lowe's.

I believe a big part of the reason Lowe's is now doing the coupons online is so they can't be used at Home Depot as Home Depot won't accept printed coupons.

John Fabre
02-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Okay, how do you get them free online? If that's possible, it might answer my question...

Jay beat me to it.

John Fabre
02-21-2013, 12:40 AM
I highly doubt Lowe's is purposely giving folks coupons to sell on Ebay. Why wouldn't the retailer just give away the coupons directly? Also, many of people of the folks buying Lowe's coupons on Ebay are using them at Home Depot or Menards. I have personally never used a Lowe's coupon at Lowe's.

I believe a big part of the reason Lowe's is now doing the coupons online is so they can't be used at Home Depot as Home Depot won't accept printed coupons.
That's a good idea.

Joe Angrisani
02-21-2013, 8:33 AM
....tried that one and home depot will not honor any printed coupons. I walked over to the magazine rack and pulled out one of the 20% off one's and they accepted it. .

....as Home Depot won't accept printed coupons.

Some may not. Mine both do. That's how I use Menard's flyers here in Denver, where the closest Menards is close to 250 miles away, and the second-closest almost 400.

So Greg: You tore the 20% coupon out of a magazine they had for sale? Please tell me you bought the magazine.....

Tom Winship
02-21-2013, 8:44 AM
Here, Lowe's and I believe HD gives a 10% discount to veterans. You have to show your DD214. Texas will put the word veteran on your driver's license and Lowe's and HD will accept that. If you're not a veteran, I guess you could re-up.

Brian Elfert
02-21-2013, 9:08 AM
Some may not. Mine both do. That's how I use Menard's flyers here in Denver, where the closest Menards is close to 250 miles away, and the second-closest almost 400.

Flyers would be different than coupons. The official Home Depot policy is not to accept competitor's coupons printed on a printer. How does Home Depot know you didn't just print or copy the same coupon over and over? Some stores might accept them at the manager's discretion.

I am surprised that Home Depot will match Menards prices when the nearest store is so far away.

Steve Meliza
02-21-2013, 9:08 AM
My local HD stopped taking DD-214's and when I called in to ask about it I was told it was a policy change at all stores, but it probably depends on your local management. I certainly won't be ripping coupons out of magazines I didn't buy or grab coupons intended for people moving, my integrity is worth more than that.

Greg Cuetara
02-21-2013, 12:36 PM
So Greg: You tore the 20% coupon out of a magazine they had for sale? Please tell me you bought the magazine.....

Joe, I went over to the magazine rack and asked if I bought the magazine would they honor the coupon inside...thinking that I could buy the magazine tare out the coupon and give it to them but I didn't want to buy the magazine if they were not going to honor the coupon. The woman was very nice and took it to her manager and came back saying that I didn't have to buy the magazine and that they would give me the discount but I was prepared to spend the $4 to save $25

Joe Angrisani
02-21-2013, 3:48 PM
....I am surprised that Home Depot will match Menards prices when the nearest store is so far away.

I have 20 or so Jorgensen parallel clamps in my shop at about $20/each to prove it. Not only do they match, they beat it by another 10%.

....and came back saying that I didn't have to buy the magazine and that they would give me the discount....

Sweet!

Brian Elfert
02-21-2013, 4:23 PM
I have 20 or so Jorgensen parallel clamps in my shop at about $20/each to prove it. Not only do they match, they beat it by another 10%.

I never doubted that you got them to price match Menards. I'm just surprised they price match someone who only has a store 250 miles away. We have a Menards on every corner it seems like here so of course Home Depot matches their prices. I find for most stuff that Home Depot and Menards have the same exact price unless Menards has a sale.

John Fabre
02-21-2013, 9:13 PM
I looked on eBay just now, there's people bidding on the 10% off Lowe's coupons. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/Smileys/extras/shruggy.gif

Wade Lippman
02-21-2013, 9:39 PM

My understanding is that it is one per email address. One guy sells 100 a day for about $200. I can't imagine doing all that work for $200. There must be some other way to get that many.

Brian Elfert
02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
My understanding is that it is one per email address. One guy sells 100 a day for about $200. I can't imagine doing all that work for $200. There must be some other way to get that many.

The coupons you get by signing up on the web are emailed and must be printed on your printer to take them to the store. Home Depot will not take these coupons.

The Lowe's coupons sold online are printed by Lowe's on heavier paper. Those are the ones sold on Ebay. People buy the coupons off Ebay because Home Depot and Menards both accept them. They are not selling the coupons you sign up online for. I wish I knew where the Ebay sellers get their coupons as I wouldn't mind having a half dozen around so I can get 10% off on every trip to Home Depot or Menards. (Lowes is too far away for me and they tend to be more expensive anyhow.)

Wade Lippman
02-22-2013, 12:34 PM
The coupons you get by signing up on the web are emailed and must be printed on your printer to take them to the store. Home Depot will not take these coupons.

The Lowe's coupons sold online are printed by Lowe's on heavier paper. Those are the ones sold on Ebay. People buy the coupons off Ebay because Home Depot and Menards both accept them. They are not selling the coupons you sign up online for. I wish I knew where the Ebay sellers get their coupons as I wouldn't mind having a half dozen around so I can get 10% off on every trip to Home Depot or Menards. (Lowes is too far away for me and they tend to be more expensive anyhow.)

Actually no. I know because I have bought a dozen or so. Some are the card stock coupons, but most are the electronic ones. My only local store is Lowes, so I perfectly happy with them.
I think Lowes must distribute them; can't think of anyway someone would get so many through the post office. The idea, as I see it anyhow, is that it allows Lowes to have low prices for those who have the time and interest to buy coupons, but high prices for people who don't care. I think its called market segmentation.
Or, maybe there is a way to get lots of Lowes coupons I haven't discovered yet.

Brian Elfert
02-22-2013, 8:45 PM
Many of the coupons I see advertised on Ebay show the card stock coupons. If I got the electronic coupons I would file a complaint with Ebay asking for my money back.

I need to buy some coupons through Ebay soon as I have a bunch of projects coming up.