PDA

View Full Version : Hoyer Lift

Baxter Smith
02-19-2013, 7:16 PM
When I set up a different woodshop area a few years ago, I positioned the lathe all the way to the back where it would be out of the way. I never imagined turning a piece of wood I couldn’t easily pick up and carry there.
Although I have a variety of means to pick up heavy things, none “fit” in the back of my shop. After looking at lots of possibilities, I found one on CL for $100 that I thought should work for picking up something I couldn't.

What went on at 146 lbs, came off at 5lbs-12ozs.

The same model hoyer lift as the one shown here never got a bid on ebay last week at 99$. It got relisted again this week at 90.
Item # 290864770663 If you are close to Niles Michigan, you might give it a thought.

Ted Calver
02-19-2013, 7:58 PM
Baxter, that looks like the cat's meow for turning. Doesn't seem to need all the maneuvering room and engine hoist takes. I'm going to keep an eye out for one of those. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl A. Prince
02-19-2013, 8:10 PM
What a great find Baxter! I'm realizing that I can't "sling" the wood up there like I used to either! That hoist looks like an affordable way to save my back. What is the name of the monster boring bar that you're using? That looks like a great set up. Do you have a bed extension that's out of the picture?

Leo Van Der Loo
02-19-2013, 8:35 PM
Baxter I have ben looking for something like that for a while, though I do need a platform where I can place my carboy and demijohn on when I have to rack my wine, especially now as I can nor am allowed to lift anything heavy.

Good looking vase as well Baxter, on moving my shop and lathe etc., I made 4 part post on the Canadian turning forum with a bunch of pictures of what and how I moved and finally setup my new shop, if you are interested have a look :)

It shows bringing and placing my 1000 plus bowls and where/how I placed my large lathe and stored my rough turned bowls and turning blanks, and how I took apart the large lathe into several large pieces before I was able to load and move it.

Thomas Canfield
02-19-2013, 8:43 PM
The lift looks like it really does the job, and at a reasonable price. Lots of other goodies to look at with your setup including the making your switch remote (instead of just adding a remote), the large boring bar, and clean arrangement of the lathe on the riser rails, and using all the available bed for that large hollow form. Great looking work all around.

Mike Cruz
02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Baxter, after seeing that one you got (and thinking that it one just might save my back someday), I decided to start looking for myself.

I found this one for $75. Older than yours. Not in horrible condition. Comes apart in a jiffy for storage. 400 lb capacity. With a 28" swing now, I thought it might come in handy. Thanks for letting us all know about the use of the Hoyer lift for turning!

Mike Cruz
02-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Also, Baxter, I'm curious... Mine didn't come with the chains. Just the body cradle (fabric and brand new). I see you used the chains. Is that just what yours came with, or did yours come with both and you just decided to use the chains, or does the fabric cradle not work for "our" needs?

kevin nee
02-20-2013, 7:18 AM
I think I see a bigger lathe coming!

Dennis Nagle
02-20-2013, 7:57 AM
That is a great idea. I was crushed by an old growth Douglas Fir in 1981 and have had back problems ever since. I also live near Niles MI and and will watch this auction.

Does your collapse?

charlie knighton
02-20-2013, 9:54 AM
spot on Baxter, thanks for sharing, looking forward to big things

Baxter Smith
02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
.... Doesn't seem to need all the maneuvering room and engine hoist takes. .....
Ted, this one has a footprint of 27"wide by 45" deep.

..... What is the name of the monster boring bar that you're using? That looks like a great set up. Do you have a bed extension that's out of the picture?
Cheryl, its a homemade one based on a Steve Sinner design. I saw one in Saint Paul and thought it looked doable. I don't have a bed extension though at times I wish I did.

.....Good looking vase as well Baxter, on moving my shop and lathe etc., I made 4 part post on the Canadian turning forum with a bunch of pictures of what and how I moved and finally setup my new shop, if you are interested have a look :)
I tried to take a look last night Leo but wasn't allowed to see the pictures until I registered. I did do that but apparently have to await final approval. The needed to know who referred me and I gave them your name. Maybe that was not a good idea.;):DI should think something like this might work well for you but it does require that the front wheels can either slide in under or straddle your lathe. The front wheels can spread wider apart than what shows in the pictures.

Also, Baxter, I'm curious... Mine didn't come with the chains. Just the body cradle (fabric and brand new). I see you used the chains. Is that just what yours came with, or did yours come with both and you just decided to use the chains, or does the fabric cradle not work for "our" needs?
Mike, mine came with both the chains and the body cradle but keeping my wood comfortable and in a basic sitting position wasn't needed.:D

I think I see a bigger lathe coming! I haven't maxed out this one yet.;)

That is a great idea. I was crushed by an old growth Douglas Fir in 1981 and have had back problems ever since. I also live near Niles MI and and will watch this auction.

Does your collapse?
With the removal of the two 6 mm screws and pulling the safety pin, the mast lifts off the base. 254915
Hope things work out for you, no one bid on it last time around.

Josh Bowman
02-20-2013, 5:04 PM
Baxter, I didn't know I needed this:cool:. Just joking, I've been trying to solve this conundrum, for a while now. I never new about this kind of lift. Soooooo, I Googled one last night and found one local for $75! Just got it home.:D Thanks Baxter, this was a great help.

robert baccus
02-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Nice rig for sure. I usually put some pig on to smoke and have plenty of help but this works too. I use a homemade boring rig similar to yours and I was curous as to what are your favorite cutters are and the vase length. Big yeah.

Baxter Smith
02-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Baxter, I didn't know I needed this.....
Good for you Josh! Glad I could help you spend your money! The first time you use it you are going to smile.
I also use it to load logs onto the resaw sled on my bandsaw. I am sure I will come up with more.

Baxter Smith
02-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Nice rig for sure. I usually put some pig on to smoke and have plenty of help but this works too. I use a homemade boring rig similar to yours and I was curous as to what are your favorite cutters are and the vase length. Big yeah.
Thanks Robert. I had a 5/8 hole bored in the end so I could use a rolly munro hollower. Cuts nicely. The vase is 27 3/8" tall on the outside and hollowed to 26 7/8" depth. Hollowed it to 1/4". Just need to sand it once it drys.

Fred Belknap
02-21-2013, 8:54 AM
Baxter just curious but how could you measure the wall 24" down a hole like that.:confused:

Baxter Smith
02-21-2013, 1:51 PM
Baxter just curious but how could you measure the wall 24" down a hole like that.:confused:
With my magic laser of course.:)
Fred, before inserting the boring bar, you line up the laser so that is 1/4 inch off the cutting surface of your tip. When cutting and the laser dot drops off the form, its a good time to stop.
When you pull the boring bar out, hopefully everything will line up in the same position. It doesn't always. Once in a while you find that out before you get it out.:rolleyes: