PDA

View Full Version : Plywood storage cart

Chris E Smith
02-19-2013, 5:52 PM
I recently built this cart for storing sheet goods vertically. It's made of 2" square tubing salvaged from an old Universal Gym I bought for $50 at an auction. The bottom is 1/4" plate with 600lb cap. glass filled nylon casters welded on. There's a couple of pieces of channel welded to the bottom between the casters into which I slid several of the cast iron weight stack plates from the gym. This reduced the tendency of the cart to tip but it's still pretty easy to push around. And finally I have a place to hang the chalk board I keep moving around the shop when I re-arrange things.

Rick Potter
02-21-2013, 3:01 AM
Welcome to the creek Chris.

That cart certainly looks sturdy enough. Great use of recycled materiels. I think it would be even better if you put small outriggers on each side to store shorts. This would also make it even more stable.

Rick Potter

Danny Thompson
02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Chris, that sure looks sturdy. I am concerned it might be tippy. How bad would a tipping incident be? How likely do you think one would be? Could you tie one end to a wall or strap the top to a ceiling joist?

Jim Rimmer
02-21-2013, 1:38 PM
Nice cart. When I first looked at it I thought "tippy" but then read about the weights you added. Do they work well enough to keep it stable?

Chris E Smith
02-21-2013, 3:17 PM
It's very stable since I added the weights. Previously I could make the wheels on one side lift but I can't tilt it at all now. The #160 of weight plates is in addition to the 1/4" plate the base is made of, and the weights are hanging underneath close to the floor.
The picture makes it look a bit narrower than it actually is. It's 18" wide overall. I'm still going to be careful moving it, I don't want to end up looking like a Roadrunner cartoon.

Danny Thompson
02-21-2013, 5:07 PM
It's very stable since I added the weights. Previously I could make the wheels on one side lift but I can't tilt it at all now. The #160 of weight plates is in addition to the 1/4" plate the base is made of, and the weights are hanging underneath close to the floor.
The picture makes it look a bit narrower than it actually is. It's 18" wide overall. I'm still going to be careful moving it, I don't want to end up looking like a Roadrunner cartoon.

What a great solution! Cool cart.