PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Outfeed

Mark Kristan
02-19-2013, 3:16 PM
There are a lot of plans out there for table saw outfeed tables and I am planning to build one as soon as it is warm enough to work out there, but what are people doing to extend the depth of their band saws? I have a 17" Grizzly, I need to slice up some five foot long 2X6 stock, the band saw seems like the best bet, I'm not sure how to support it behind the machine. Anyone ever come across plans for a band saw outfeed table?

John Hays
02-19-2013, 6:00 PM
Wait, you're wanting to cut 2x6 with a drill press? I've never heard of such a thing... could you enlighten me on how that's done?

phil harold
02-19-2013, 7:11 PM
big drill bit!!

Wait, you're wanting to cut 2x6 with a drill press? I've never heard of such a thing... could you enlighten me on how that's done?

Chris Padilla
02-19-2013, 7:33 PM
Yeah, I don't quite understand why you'd need room behind the drill press as opposed to sliding the stock along the DP.

Jerry Miner
02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
" I need to slice up some five foot long 2X6 stock, the drill press seems like the best bet."

If I were a betting man, I would not take that bet.

Jerry Miner
02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
OK. At least now you're making sense. We're slicing with a band saw, not a drill press.

I made a separate, stand-alone stand at bandsaw table height. I can place it next to the saw for cutting wide material, or behind the saw for outfeed on longer stock. Mine is about 1' x 4', but you can use any dimensions that suit your needs.

Mark Kristan
02-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Jerry. For the record, I contacted admin to try to have this thread deleted (have not heard back), not only because it makes me look like an idiot, but I am finding stuff related to adding depth behind a band saw table. I can't believe I typed "drill press" multiple times in that post, and did a search on here using the term as well. Any suggestions are welcome, of course, I hope get that and my table saw's outfeed table done by fall, but there is info out there, so admin, feel free to take the post down (or at least the first few replies, to a post that made no sense).

David Kumm
02-21-2013, 12:42 AM
I put angle iron on the back of the table and put a toggle clamp on the ply and formica outfeed. The other end sits on a sawhorse. Pretty low tech. Dave

Mike Cutler
02-21-2013, 5:20 AM
Mark

My experience with running long stock through a bandsaw is that if you need support on the backend, you'll need it on the front end. The longest piece of material I've run through my bandsaw was 22' long and 4"x 7", but I've run quite a bit of 8/4 material that was 8'-10' long, and one, 12"x11"x8', piece of hickory.:eek:
I made supports like the one Jerry showed, when the stuff was really heavy, but I have those cheesy Rigid Flip top supports form Home Depot that work great for bandsaw infeed/outfeed. They're light enough that you can move the indeed stands out of your way when necessary.

glenn bradley
02-21-2013, 5:31 AM
Most things need to do double duty in my shop to pull their weight. I modified a roller stand which serves me well at the bandsaw and other tools.

John Hays
02-21-2013, 7:12 AM
I can't believe I typed "drill press" multiple times in that post

Heh, senior moment?

Now that we have that cleared up, I'm going to agree with Mike and Glenn. Roller stands are the way to go for this. You can place as many as you need under the work piece and even adjust them as you go. Then fold them up and hang them on the wall or whatever when you're done.

I use my roller stands quite a bit with my drill press, too... they sure come in handy and are easier to deal with than outfeed tables.

Doug Richardson
02-21-2013, 7:36 AM
Most things need to do double duty in my shop to pull their weight. I modified a roller stand which serves me well at the bandsaw and other tools.

Like your roller stand modification. Unless you are a high production shop, those castors will probably outlast all of us!

Jim Matthews
02-21-2013, 8:31 AM

Now that's clever.

Each of the swivel casters have clearance, and allow you to feed in most any direction.

John Coloccia
02-21-2013, 8:34 AM
There are a lot of plans out there for table saw outfeed tables and I am planning to build one as soon as it is warm enough to work out there, but what are people doing to extend the depth of their band saws? I have a 17" Grizzly, I need to slice up some five foot long 2X6 stock, the band saw seems like the best bet, I'm not sure how to support it behind the machine. Anyone ever come across plans for a band saw outfeed table?

Where do you live. I MIGHT have one kicking around that you can just have. Anywhere near Hartford, CT?

Erik Loza
02-21-2013, 9:12 AM
All the rolling carts in my colleague, Sam's, shop are shimmed to the same height as all the machines...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Mini%20Max%20Bandsaw%20Works/BSStraightline012.jpg

Rod Sheridan
02-21-2013, 9:23 AM

Hi, here are some photographs I made of the table extensions for my 17" bandsaw.

They're made from 19mm BB plywood, the legs are 3/4"EMT with a turned wood plug in the bottom to house a nutsert for a 3/8"-UNC bolt that acts as the levelling foot.

The top of the leg is a 3/4" EMT connector screwed into a 3/4" pipe flange on the bottom of the plywood, easy to detach and store.

The infeed table clips over the fence mounting rail, the outfeed table sits on top of the rear fence rail, secured with 2 X 1/4-UNC flat head machine screws and wing nuts.

The last photo shows the whole thing being used with a log carriage to make some quarter sawn ash lumber...........Regards, Rod.

Joe Angrisani
02-21-2013, 4:12 PM
That's superb, Rod.

Does the bandsaw slide back and park against the wall?

james bell
02-21-2013, 7:03 PM
I made two 5' long tables, one for indeed and one for outfeed, and used the space underneath for drawers. Since i wanted them to be perfect in height I did nt put them on casters, only to discover that I needed to move the indeed table to accommodate blade changes.

But this works only if you have room in your shop. They do make great work tables on their own.

paul dyar
02-21-2013, 7:09 PM
I made this out of some stuff I had around the shop. Not very fancy, but it works good.
Paul

Rod Sheridan
02-21-2013, 8:44 PM
That's superb, Rod.

Does the bandsaw slide back and park against the wall?

Thanks Joe, yes the bandsaw is normally stored flat against the wall to save space, with the table extensions hung on the wall...........Rod.

Mark Kristan
02-22-2013, 6:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies, there's a lot of good ideas to work with. I live in SW Ont, don't get to the E coast a lot, but thanks for the offer John.