PDA

View Full Version : Sandblastted and Dyed Oak HF

Baxter Smith
02-19-2013, 3:06 PM
This is one of the red oak forms I turned to finish last fall. It was warm in the unheated part of my shop last week so I thought I would finish it. Sandblasted, dyed black, liming wax, and acrylic lacquer.

17 ¾” x 7 7/8” x ¼”

I have one more large red oak log to turn at some point so all C & C as to form or anything else are appreciated. In other words, is this one worth doing again.... or some other variation.:)

Josh Bowman
02-19-2013, 3:28 PM
Baxter, that one has a very interesting look and I like it. Lots of contrasts going on. The long continous curve must have been a bear. Did the sandblasting cut out the areas you put the wax? When I first opened this thread, I expected a John Jordan kind of relief to it from the blasting, but this looks kind of smooth.

Roger Chandler
02-19-2013, 4:51 PM
Baxter, you seem to be getting along pretty well with the waxes for grain contrast..........these are lookin' good!

Bob Bergstrom
02-19-2013, 4:54 PM
If you want to try different mica powders, just mix them with some paste wax and rub it into the grain. Pearl Ex works great and comes in 25 + colors. Great piece and thanks for sharing.

Richard Madden
02-19-2013, 5:08 PM
To answer your question...yes, definitely worth doing again. I like it a lot.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-19-2013, 5:14 PM
Bax, I like them.....a lot. Water white acrylic lacquer was the perfect topcoat since it won't yellow the white in the wax. The shape is very cool and the thickness, or rather the thinness at the mouth makes me want to start at the top and admire the shape all the way down. Do it again?? Heck yes. People would love a piece shaped like this. You can do a whole series and vary the color. Nice work and well appreciated, at least by me.
faust

thomas prusak
02-19-2013, 5:44 PM
I like it Baxter. The form, finish etc. Looks great by me

Peter Blair
02-19-2013, 6:50 PM
I too like it Baxter. There is something about texture when working with wood that really appeals to me. Don't get me wrong I sure wouldn't give up my buffing system but texture just adds something.

Fred Belknap
02-19-2013, 7:15 PM
Baxter I think they look great and well worth doing again. Just a couple of things you might consider, white oak or ash would show off the grain better, I would like to see natural color wood with just open grain darkened.

charlie knighton
02-20-2013, 10:04 AM
very nice, size and form and finish, good direction you are taking

now if you get serious about big drum.....let me know

Baxter Smith
02-20-2013, 12:07 PM
..... Did the sandblasting cut out the areas you put the wax? .......
Josh, the sandblasting opens up the pores a bit and removes the softer woods which do get filled in with the wax.

If you want to try different mica powders, just mix them with some paste wax and rub it into the grain. Pearl Ex works great and comes in 25 + colors. Great piece and thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I may need to give that a try at some point.

....., white oak or ash would show off the grain better, I would like to see natural color wood with just open grain darkened.
Thanks Fred, I have tried this with Ash but never the white oak.
Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions. They are appreciated!

George Morris
02-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Looks great,well done!

Dennis Ford
02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Very nice work, the form looks great and your enhancement really brought out the grain pattern.

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Love the form and color Baxter. Really shows the piece off.

steven carter
02-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Very nice. Definitely worth doing again! I really like the way the wax makes the grain stand out, very vase noir.

Frank Pearsall
02-22-2013, 10:44 AM
They look great! Elm and Sassafras work well a wire brush wheel. I'd like to try sandblasting sometime. What grit and kind of blasting material do you use?