PDA

View Full Version : Lost our bassett to cancer.....

Michael James
02-19-2013, 1:55 PM
Howdy creekers. We lost our female (11yrs) to cancer recently and I would like to consider getting another for the family. I remember "talking to someone" on this forum that had bassetts in the Abq metro area.
Realistically, probably won't move on it until this summer (after a week outa here). If you are, or know a breeder in this area, please shoot me a PM w/ballpark guesstimate costs. We are NOT interested in breeding ourselves and will neuter the dog.

Kasie's snout is the one on my avatar. RIP lil girl......... you are missed!
thx,
mj

Paul McGaha
02-19-2013, 2:29 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss Michael. It is a great thing to have a good dog.

I hope you get hooked up with a new dog soon.

PHM

Jerome Stanek
02-19-2013, 2:44 PM
We know how hard it is to lose a dog to cancer so sorry anybody would have to go through that.

David Weaver
02-19-2013, 3:31 PM
We are NOT interested in breeding ourselves

Sorry to hear about your dog. Sometimes people deserve what they get when something bad happens, but dogs almost never do. But if I can cheer up your day with a bad joke.......... I think you're making a wise move by what you said in quotes, because if you do it, you'll probably make a person instead of a dog, and you'll still have to find a good dog then.

Michael James
02-19-2013, 3:38 PM
ok you got me there...........I'm blaming it on the medications.............!:cool:

Jim O'Dell
02-19-2013, 9:02 PM
Yeah, cancer is getting to be a big problem in the dog world. So sorry you've learned that first hand. We lost our old girl last September to cancer. Glenna had been running her in Agility Trials last summer, and you could see the change as it was happening. It's something we lived through with her dam and granddam. You can also look on Petfinder dot com for rescue dogs. You can narrow your search by breed and area. There are sometimes puppies, but not very often. Also check on the AKC website for local breeders. Sometimes they have animals they were going to show that ended up not making it in the show ring and look for good homes to send them too, usually for a lower fee. At least there are a couple of alternatives if something local doesn't show up in the right time frame. Jim.

Jim Tobias
02-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Michael,
Sorry to hear of your loss. We've lost 2 Bichons to cancer over the last 20 years and it is tough to go through the loss. We still have 2 Bichons that are up in years(14 & 11). I hope you find a "good friend" when you do your search.
I've found few things in life more rewarding than owning a dog. There is truly a "one of a kind bond" between pet and owner.

Jim

Bill Edwards(2)
02-20-2013, 7:20 AM
I remember "talking to someone" on this forum that had bassetts in the Abq metro area.

I was thinking Don Bullock, but I think he's in California.

Really sorry about Kasie.

Don Morris
02-20-2013, 8:03 AM
I have told this many a time: "I would not hesitate to be reincarnated into any of the pets I've owned." They were loved and cherished as one of the family. Sorry for your loss and know your replacement will be one lucky bassett. When I graduated and took my pregnant wife from Chicago to San Diego (curtest of the U S Navy) we were lucky enough to have family there. Aunt Emily and Uncle Bill took us in and when Todd was born, their Bassett "Chester" was a great play toy for Todd. I can remember toothless Todd gnawing on Chester's ears, but Chester just let him because he was such a great dog. He seemed to sense that Todd was a baby and let Todd get away with things he would not have otherwise tolerated. Great loving breed. Hope you're successful in finding a good breeder locally.

Joe Angrisani
02-20-2013, 9:19 AM
Few things hurt the way the loss of a close pet does. Sorry to hear of your Kasie's fight. Friggen cancer. I found this poem when my first best buddy died (so many years ago, now). I like it very much, even though it opens the floodgates in my eyes every time....

So this is where we part, My Friend,
Where you'll run on around the bend.
Gone from sight but not from mind,
New pleasures there you'll surely find.

One long embrace before you leave.
Share one last look before I grieve.
I will go on. I'll find the strength.
Life measures quality, not it's length.

There'll be others, that much is true,
But they are they, and they aren't you.
And I, the Master, or so I thought,
Remember well all that you taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed.
The fur I stroked. The nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your rest,
Take with you this....I loved you best.

Myk Rian
02-20-2013, 9:26 AM
Sorry about that, Mike. I lost MacGyver several years ago. Our Daughter had to put Casey to sleep a couple years ago, due to another dog attacking her.
I made a scroll picture of Casey for her, which now has a place of prominence in her living room.

Michael Dedon
02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Mike, We've had Bassets for the past twenty years. We Lost one to cancer 1 1/2 years ago. We knew it was coming and got a puppy to help through it. After the loss we found a rescue a Dacshaund breeder had boarded. The markings and some of the temperment were so close to "Boo" we had to bring him home.

Look for a rescue group and adopt. There's some very good animals looking for homes. Try any or all of them. They tend to keep touch with each other about breeds and overdrowding at each others facilities.

P.S. My avatar shows Boo in the back and "T" up front. "T" is still with us at 10 years, along with "Chloe" the puppy, and "Roscoe", the male rescue at 5 years.

Brad Cambell
03-01-2013, 9:45 PM
Sorry to hear about Kasie.

George Bokros
03-01-2013, 10:03 PM
We put one of our dogs through chemo for cancer. We eventually lost Bandit on Christmas morning and that was the worst day of my life. I have lost family and it wasn't any where near what it was losing Bandit. We believe it was a recurrence of the cancer but will never know.

Michael James
03-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Most sincere thank you for all the loving thoughts and kindnesses in this loss. Yes, she was a pup when we brought her home to keep Snoozer (~1yr) company while we worked. He was alone then and is alone now while we work. Kasie was totally devoted to him. Cleaned his ears, eyes, etc. And when she was younger Snoozer would get a little rough and about the time I would go to intervene, Kasie would nip his tail or behind and take off running. Oh, the joyous sound of what became known as the "hound games" - from inside to out in warm weather and back in again. If you have never heard hounds howl when they are in chase mode.... well, it's the happiest sound I've ever heard out of a dog.
We'll start looking for a pup in late spring or summer when we know we have no travel plans.
Thanks again,
Michael