PDA

View Full Version : Disston Half Back Saw Found in the Wild

Bob Waltemate
05-04-2005, 8:51 PM
I went to a flea market last Sunday and one of the vendors had this saw in a box tucked under the table.

I dated this saw using the Disstonian Institute site and I believe this was made between 1871 and 1875. The medallion is flush with the wood and it uses split nuts. The medallion says H. DISSTON & SONS, but on the steel back it says DISSTON & SON. The etching is about 75% readable. There is some surface rust and some larger areas of pitting. This is a 16" version of this type of saw.

Since finding the saw, I have done a little research. This is truely a very rare little saw to find out in the wild. I was looking for old user quality tools and I find a collectable instead! I am not one to keep tools that aren't going to get used. I am thinking of selling it and using the funds to finance a tool or two that would be more useful. By the way, for those who are wondering, the seller asked $5 for it and I did not try to talk him into going any lower, mainly because I wasn't sure of what I was buying. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!!!!!

Bob

Alan Turner
05-04-2005, 9:06 PM
I love it when this sort of thing happens. Nice find.

David Fried
05-04-2005, 9:16 PM
BONUS!!!!

The right person in the right place at the right time. A rare combination. Enjoy it while you have it and enjoy what you get in exchange for it!

Dennis McDonaugh
05-04-2005, 9:21 PM
That's a beauty Bob, enjoy!