PDA

View Full Version : Benching your teeth?

Harold Burrell
02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
I was just wondering if the majority of you guys do your WWing with your teeth in or out? :confused:

OK...I'm being stupid. I just thought that after the recent thread (that got locked)...well...I should say something silly...and then you all could get mad at me! :p Or maybe just chuckle...

Charles Wiggins
02-19-2013, 11:29 AM
I've go not choice. None of mine are easily removable.

Jim Koepke
02-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Mine do not come out yet. If they did, they would stay in because I like to whistle while I work.

jtk

Brian Kent
02-19-2013, 11:35 AM
I cover them with one of those 3m half-face masks so if they fall out for the first time they don't fall into a power tool.

And thanks for asking. Not everyone takes that problem seriously.

Bob Warfield
02-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Well mine do come out but no. I don't take em out for anything!:)
Bob

John Coloccia
02-19-2013, 11:37 AM
I take them out and scrape the bottoms of my shoes with them so they grip better.

:p

I'll be hiding in the closet sipping my scotch if you need me.

Bruce Mack
02-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Teeth in. I need them to gnash when I cut to the wrong length :mad:

Pat Barry
02-19-2013, 1:17 PM
I'm interested to find out what Chris Schwartz' opinion is on this topic. :)

Charlie Stanford
02-19-2013, 1:20 PM
I'm interested to find out what Chris Schwartz' opinion is on this topic. :)

False teeth. They work. Period.

David Weaver
02-19-2013, 1:26 PM
Holtzappfel says that they should be made out of hippo tusks. Anything less would clearly be categorized as false false teeth.

I like to use an elephant ivory bench for my hippo teeth.

Gary Hodgin
02-19-2013, 1:34 PM
Funny you brought that up. My partial plate should be ready next week. I'd planned on just working with it in but I'd really like to get some other opinions. Haven't googled it yet.

Danny Thompson
02-19-2013, 1:41 PM
My partial plate should be ready next week.

Gary,

Which way did you finally go: aluminum or phenolic? Let us know if it comes in dead flat or if you have to grind it yourself. Number of set-screws?

David Weaver
02-19-2013, 1:45 PM
Rockler will have a plastic and t-track jig soon to help you clean them up in case you're afraid of freehand denture polishing.

Paul McGaha
02-19-2013, 2:22 PM
I like to keep my teeth sharp with the water stones I bought from Stu.

PHM

Bob Warfield
02-19-2013, 2:31 PM
I use a different method. I like to use diamond paste from Lee Valley. I do like a sparkley smile :D.
Bob

Gary Hodgin
02-19-2013, 2:43 PM
Gary,

Which way did you finally go: aluminum or phenolic? Let us know if it comes in dead flat or if you have to grind it yourself. Number of set-screws?

Going with phenolic. Suppose to be flat but I expect to do some lapping. I'll probably use my exe-lap mini diamond hones. They are machined to a .0000001 tolerance.

'Jacques Malan'
02-19-2013, 3:11 PM
I use my teeth for gnashing only.

But I do push my tongue out. Does that count?

Doug Bowman
02-19-2013, 4:21 PM
I use a different method. I like to use diamond paste from Lee Valley. I do like a sparkley smile :D.
Bob

Diamonds !?!?!?!?

all you need is hard Arkie and some castor oil to keep your teeth sharp. Done it that way fer 40 years now! Don't need to go spendin' money on some new fangled method!

David Nelson1
02-19-2013, 4:48 PM
One has to re learn to whistle with falsies LOL
Don't ask me how I know this LOL l

george wilson
02-19-2013, 6:00 PM
David,I have hippo ivory, It is a LOT harder than elephant ivory,which is why it was used for false teeth. Washington's false teeth(which I have seen in the Smithsonian) were actually porcelain. The uppers and lowers were connected with little steel coil springs.

I was planning some day to make a set of hippo ivory false teeth for the Apothecary Shop in the museum. Didn't get to it. Got the hippo tusk,though. You can get them 2 feet long,really incredible to see teeth that large. The hard outer shell has to be ground off,but it isn't very thick.

We actually had this rather eccentric clock maker in Williamsburg. He was scared to death of the dentist. He finally got into such pain that he had to go to one. When the dentist started drilling on his "fillings",he began ruining burrs. He asked what the heck those fillings were. The clock maker told him he had filled his OWN TEETH with something called "Plastic Steel"!!!!:)

The clock maker lost a front tooth,but didn't want to pay for a bridge. He was very conscious of his appearance,though(actually,he looked like a cadaver!!) so,he got hold of a piece of ivory,made a tooth from it, and JAMMED it into place!! How he lived with that,I don't know!! Ivory will invariably turn yellow in the mouth. When it did,he's make another tooth and jam that one in place!!!!

robert dankert
02-19-2013, 7:11 PM
Well my teeth kept falling out and right on my workbench top. After awhile the bench top surface got kinda all scratched up. I didn't think much of it at first, but the more of those tooth marks that got on there, the harder it became to move boards on the bench top. Good thing I finally made the connection that the tooth marks were causing the problem, as I was resorting to using a 36" crowbar to get those suckers to move. So I put some duct tape over my mouth, to keep my teeth in, and planed the bench top smooth again.

Now to answer your question directly, I take my teeth out. The tape was just too hard on the goatee and mustache.:eek:

David Nelson1
02-19-2013, 8:01 PM
David,I have hippo ivory, It is a LOT harder than elephant ivory,which is why it was used for false teeth. Washington's false teeth(which I have seen in the Smithsonian) were actually porcelain. The uppers and lowers were connected with little steel coil springs.

I was planning some day to make a set of hippo ivory false teeth for the Apothecary Shop in the museum. Didn't get to it. Got the hippo tusk,though. You can get them 2 feet long,really incredible to see teeth that large. The hard outer shell has to be ground off,but it isn't very thick.

We actually had this rather eccentric clock maker in Williamsburg. He was scared to death of the dentist. He finally got into such pain that he had to go to one. When the dentist started drilling on his "fillings",he began ruining burrs. He asked what the heck those fillings were. The clock maker told him he had filled his OWN TEETH with something called "Plastic Steel"!!!!:)

The clock maker lost a front tooth,but didn't want to pay for a bridge. He was very conscious of his appearance,though(actually,he looked like a cadaver!!) so,he got hold of a piece of ivory,made a tooth from it, and JAMMED it into place!! How he lived with that,I don't know!! Ivory will invariably turn yellow in the mouth. When it did,he's make another tooth and jam that one in place!!!!

Infrickingcredable!

george wilson
02-19-2013, 10:46 PM
The museum could attract some strange types,though he was an excellent clock maker!!:)

Jim Matthews
02-20-2013, 7:56 AM
I take them out and scrape the bottoms of my shoes with them so they grip better.

I'm cornfuzed - izzat de shoes, or da teeth what grips better, afta?
Perhaps a video is in order...

Adam Cruea
02-20-2013, 8:46 AM
This thread was definitely good for a laugh, that's for sure. Especially the post of "I keep my teeth sharp with the waterstones I bought from Stu".