PDA

View Full Version : I need table saw recommendations

Trevor Roeder
02-19-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm new around here and wanting to get a table saw. This is for my basement and limited space.

My budget is about $500, I thought about the rigid r4512 I know it's a cabinet saw and could be moved out of the way, but with research it seems they have had some issues and if I needed to take it back I don't have a vehicle I would have to have my brother help me get it with a van.

So I was thinking bosch 4100-09 from cpo with a 15% coupon would be $510.

Charles Wiggins
02-19-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't have a specific saw recommend, but have you considered getting a used TS? Craigslist can be your friend, particularly if you're not in a hurry. If you're patient a lot of good deals come around - the widow who just wants rid of the stuff, or the guy who just upgraded and needs the space. You can always rent a truck to go get it after you've struck a deal.

BTW: I have a Jet ProShop table saw which *could* be broken down into small enough components to fit into many cars.

Ben Reese
02-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Charles is absolutely right about Craigs list as a great place to get a starter saw...I am about a month away from putting my Jet on Craigs after I finish refurbing my 1973 Unisaw, that I bought for $300 with a Vega fence and new 3 hp motor.

Also, let your fingers do the walking and call your local pawn shops. They sometimes get full size table saws in, but not often. I bought a small jobsight saw to use for just that (when I do a job at someone's house) It is the Hitachi and I paid $100 for it.

Trevor Roeder
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
I have looked at craigslist, they have some 10" 3hp craftsman in the $200-300 range, but not sure if those are good ones or not.

Chris Padilla
02-19-2013, 1:13 PM
I would think you could get a nice used Grizzly cabinet saw for $500. Be patient and keep your eyes open and be willing to travel a bit...you will find a good deal. Grizzy is the best value out there for cabinet saws.

Jim Foster
02-19-2013, 3:04 PM
Used saws will not have great dust collection or a riving knife. But, if that's OK, you should be able to find a very good used cabinet saw for around $500. You might luck into a Unisaw or a PM66 that are very serviceable.

Here is one in Cape Cod, MA (not mine :))

http://capecod.craigslist.org/tls/3516591467.html

Gus Dundon
02-19-2013, 3:24 PM
Bosch or Ridgid . You'll not lose with either saws .

Raymond Fries
02-19-2013, 3:40 PM
I used to have a DeWalt 544 and it did a nice job for me. Refurbs go for arount $300. The jobsite saws are nice for limited space. Agree that Bosch and Ridgid are good brands.
Cabinet saw would be a better choice if it fits your space and budget.
Good Luck in your search.

scott spencer
02-19-2013, 5:08 PM
I wouldn't buy a portable saw unless you need portability. A full size stationary saw has every functional advantage except portability.

Trevor Roeder
02-19-2013, 5:15 PM
I wouldn't buy a portable saw unless you need portability. A full size stationary saw has every functional advantage except portability.

I don't need portability I just need it to be able to move around my work area. I ordered mobile bases for my router table and miter saw table since my work area is only 12' x 12'.

Huck Schwee
02-19-2013, 5:43 PM
+1 for the Ridgid R4512.

It's been a great saw so far and is right in your range. I have put a cheap router setup in the wing. I just checked the alignment yesterday and everything is the same as I had set it up over 8 months ago! I had a cheap, portable craftsman before with the direct drive and I can tell you now, I am never going back to that. Would I like cast iron wings, more power and a biesemeyer style fence? Sure, but I don't think I need it with this saw. It just barely slowed down when cutting 8/4 hard maple for my last cutting board. And that is partially because I need to clean the blade.

Joseph Tarantino
02-19-2013, 6:58 PM
I'm new around here and wanting to get a table saw. This is for my basement and limited space.

My budget is about $500, I thought about the rigid r4512 I know it's a cabinet saw and could be moved out of the way, but with research it seems they have had some issues and if I needed to take it back I don't have a vehicle I would have to have my brother help me get it with a van.

So I was thinking bosch 4100-09 from cpo with a 15% coupon would be $510.

if you can find a HD that accepts the HF "20% off any single item" coupon, that 4512 becomes a $400 saw. let's see, $400 for a full size, new , LSA eligible, mobile base equipped 10" 1.5hp TS or $510 for a portable? as scott noted, if you don;t need portablilty, why accommodate it's shortcomings?

Trevor Roeder
02-20-2013, 8:43 AM
if you can find a HD that accepts the HF "20% off any single item" coupon, that 4512 becomes a $400 saw. let's see, $400 for a full size, new , LSA eligible, mobile base equipped 10" 1.5hp TS or $510 for a portable? as scott noted, if you don;t need portablilty, why accommodate it's shortcomings?

I agree that would be the best deal, I will probably end up going with the R4512

Trevor Roeder
02-23-2013, 7:53 PM
Guys I got the R4512 today, I was able to use HF 20% off coupon without any issues! Thanks for all who chimed in.