PDA

View Full Version : Do not sign-up for "Narex bevel edge chisels - NIB" drawing

Larry Browning
02-19-2013, 8:50 AM
Everyone,
This is an old thread from last June. Please do not sign-up for it. Someone has already won this drawing.

Moderator: Please lock this old thread so that no one else can sign up for it thinking it is an active drawing.

Thanks

Rob Wachala Jr
02-19-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't understand why there is just not a sub forum in the freestuff drawings section that shows winners, and the main show active drawings.

Harold Burrell
02-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Everyone,
This is an old thread from last June. Please do not sign-up for it. Someone has already won this drawing.

Moderator: Please lock this old thread so that no one else can sign up for it thinking it is an active drawing.

Thanks

Oh, sure...you're just saying that so you can win! :p

Matt Meiser
02-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Count me in!

Seriously, if they aren't reading that thread, do think they are going to read this one?

Bruce Page
02-19-2013, 12:08 PM
I closed Larry's original thread. :)

Thomas Bank
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Locking a giveaway after the drawing seems to be a requirement from the other boards I'm on. People just go down the line and dredge up things that have been over for months (or even years). And once one person does it, then it is at the top as a "new" post and everyone jumps on. I think that the Trotec giveaway proves that people don't bother to read the first post - just post "I'm in" to it.

Bruce Page
02-19-2013, 2:44 PM
Locking a giveaway after the drawing seems to be a requirement from the other boards I'm on. People just go down the line and dredge up things that have been over for months (or even years). And once one person does it, then it is at the top as a "new" post and everyone jumps on. I think that the Trotec giveaway proves that people don't bother to read the first post - just post "I'm in" to it.

Thomas, I can't argue that!
I will try to keep an eye on it and close the threads as they expire.

Larry Browning
02-19-2013, 6:09 PM
Count me in!

Seriously, if they aren't reading that thread, do think they are going to read this one?
My theory was that people read the 1st post describing the giveaway and then reply to it with "Add me to the List" without seeing the other posts. I figured that posting an entirely new thread "might" have a chance of stopping the madness, or at least slowing it down a bit.

Larry Browning
02-19-2013, 6:14 PM
I closed Larry's original thread. :)
Thanks for closing that thread. That kind of stuff really gets under my skin. I wish it didn't, but it does.
However it wasn't my thread. I am no where near that generous, to offer to give away some tools that I could sell for a nice price.:eek:

Thomas Bank
02-19-2013, 10:35 PM
My theory was that people read the 1st post describing the giveaway...

As I mentioned about the Trotec thread, quite a few people don't even bother to do that much! :D

daniel lane
02-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks for closing that thread. That kind of stuff really gets under my skin. I wish it didn't, but it does.
However it wasn't my thread. I am no where near that generous, to offer to give away some tools that I could sell for a nice price.:eek:

Yes, thanks, Bruce. It was my thread, and I was both happy I could support the Creek and highly amused at the number of people that hadn't noticed it was long ended! Appreciate your stepping in, Larry.

daniel

Brian Kincaid
02-22-2013, 3:33 PM
Count me in!

Sorry, can't stop laughing about this (I might be guilty on occasion too)

-Brian

Mike Cruz
02-25-2013, 11:43 AM
The REAL problem is that people tend to not really read original post ANYWAY. Then just respond. I can't tell you how many times I've started a thread, got replies, and wondered if people ACTUALLY read what I wrote... You can tell who just skims over what you wrote, assumes to understand the gist of what you are saying, then reply.

Larry Browning
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
The REAL problem is that people tend to not really read original post ANYWAY. Then just respond. I can't tell you how many times I've started a thread, got replies, and wondered if people ACTUALLY read what I wrote... You can tell who just skims over what you wrote, assumes to understand the gist of what you are saying, then reply.
I know what you mean, I have had the same thing happen in my posts, and seen it in others. When this happens, I find myself talking to the screen. "READ the post, before you answer!" or "This is NOT helping!"
We can't change human behavior though, so we just have to live with it. In defense of creekers though, I see it here much less often than I do on other forums if frequent. Also, on most of the computer related forums, it seems like the quickest way to get scolded is to ask a very common question that has already been answered. Thankfully I don't see that too much here. The best example of this is when somebody asks about which table saw to buy or which resaw bandsaw blade is best, and creekers just answer it like thy have done a hundred times before. I think this is a much better way to handle it than an angry response, like "Do a simple search, you lazy so an so! you might learn something!"

Mike Cruz
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
One of the best examples of this was when Thomas Bank was trying to come up with a company name for himself. One of his issues was that his last name does NOT have an "s" on the end. Though everyone wants to put it on there. Though, in his original post and a couple of times after that, he mentioned this dilemma, invariably, person after person suggested stuff like "Banks Woodworking", or "Count on Banks". I had to buy 3 new monitors from banging my head against them and breaking the screens!

I also started a thread about vacuum cleaners. My point was that my cyclone vacuum gets very...dusty inside. Well, I have a compressor. I blow it out after each use. But it made me scratch my head that I'm pretty certain that I (and most of the people on this forum) are in the minority (general population wise), to be able to blow that thing out all the time. So, what do all those other people do? Well, I got one resonse saying that if I'm getting dust on the outside of my vacuum, something is wrong with it. WHAT? When did I say that?!?!?! And others that said they can't stand to empty them all the time, so they used bagged models. Um, okay, but how does that pertain to my point about cleaning out the dust if you don't have a compressor? Some other obscure posts followed, and NO ONE seemed to get my point. I re-read my OP, thinking it was vague. Nope, people just didn't bother to really read it...

Larry Browning
02-25-2013, 1:55 PM
So, why are you getting dust on the outside of you cyclone?;)

I recently had one where the same guy kept me asking what wood I was using and the dimensions of the stock, even though I had mentioned it in a previous post directed at him.

Bruce Page
02-25-2013, 2:01 PM
So, why are you getting dust on the outside of you cyclone?;)

I was wondering the exact same thing.:confused: Maybe he should cover the outside with plastic bags. :)

Mike Cruz
02-25-2013, 2:05 PM
Dagnabbit. Now I need another monitor!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Mark Welte
02-26-2013, 5:28 PM
Funny this thread just popped up as I was researching Narex chisels and Google had the original thread as one of the top links to go to. Thankfully I checked the date before I started to type.

Larry Browning
02-26-2013, 5:59 PM
The other one is now locked, so you would not have been able to post to it anyway.

Myk Rian
02-28-2013, 7:38 AM
I don't understand why it took so long for someone here to realize it. I know it's been mentioned many times before.

Myk Rian
02-28-2013, 7:43 AM
I know of one forum that allows you to lock your own threads. If that was done here, there might not be so many problems.

Larry Browning
02-28-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't understand why it took so long for someone here to realize it. I know it's been mentioned many times before.
I think the problem was that this drawing was done by and individual and not Keith and company. Then if the OP did not request that it be locked, it would be pretty easy for it to slip through the cracks.

Jim Underwood
03-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Count me in... ;)

John Coloccia
03-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Did you ever manage to get the chisels out of your cyclone, Mike?

Thomas Bank
03-07-2013, 1:03 PM
One of the best examples of this was when Thomas Bank was trying to come up with a company name for himself...

I missed Mike's comment earlier. You weren't the only one pounding their head against the wall, Mike! IIRC, someone actually suggested that I should just bow to public opinion and change my name to Banks... I wasn't sure if they were just trying to be sarcastic or not. But I really would not have put it past someone to think that was a serious resolution to the problem.

Mike Cruz
03-07-2013, 2:16 PM
There were a LOT of inane suggestions, Thomas...

Jim Underwood
03-07-2013, 11:01 PM
I remember that thread. Amazing how many folks go through life not reading what's right in front of them. I've sent out monthly emails with all details needed for an upcoming meeting stating specifically each and every time when the meeting was (Last Monday of each month), and I still got emails, phone calls, and questions about when the meeting was...

Mike Cruz
03-07-2013, 11:22 PM
What's so hard about remembering that the meeting is on the first Monday of every month? I mean, c'mon! Just pay attention. That's all we ask, right Jim? ;)

Thomas Bank
03-08-2013, 9:45 AM
Oh... Don't get me started on emails...

Mike Cruz
06-11-2013, 2:44 PM
Please sign me up. I could really use these chisels... Thanks!

Larry Browning
06-11-2013, 4:20 PM
Hey I heard the chisel giveaway was a scam! He doesn't even have any chisels to give away! He is trying to set a new Ginness world record for number of signups for a non-existent prize.