PDA

View Full Version : Laguna TSS with Scoring

Neil Bosdet
02-19-2013, 7:56 AM
I've been using high end cabinet saws for decades. I'm in a unusual situation right now where I'm moving and have made a deal to sell all my machinery. I will repurchase all new machinery in my new shop in a couple of months. I was planning to repurchase a SawStop 5HP Industrial saw but have an opportunity to pick up a Laguna TSS with scoring for about half the cost of a new SawStop. It's in great shape with low use. It's packaged with a lathe I want and I have to travel very far to get it. It will make the trip more worthwhile financially if I get both machines.

I'm aware of Laguna's issues with CS. If you don't own this saw but want to put in your 2 cents on their CS or another saw, please don't. There is too much of that here. This is not a question about their customer service. I just want to hear from owners or users of this saw that could shed some light on their satisfaction with the build, design and performance of this saw.

I don't do a lot of sheet goods work. I use mostly solid and laminated hardwoods. For the bulk of my work I make multiple close tolerance rips and I do quite a bit of cross-cutting where tear out is an issue. I am thinking this machine could be quite good for the cross-cutting of the hardwoods using the scoring feature. It would save me using a sled and would allow me to cross-cut much thicker stock (no sled and 12" blade). Have any of you tried cross-cutting solid woods using the scoring?

So, for you users/owners of this saw, how do you feel about it and what is your guess on my satisfaction with it given my use? I currently own the SawStop and have been very happy with it. Best cabinet saw I've ever used. So on the Laguna, how is the Biesemeyer style fence? I'm anal about accuracy. How is the dust collection? Have you ever tried to put a zero clearance throat plate on the machine or is that even possible with the slider. I wish I could see the machine in person before I decide whether to buy but I can't. Your feedback will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Thomas love
02-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Hey Neil, I have been using this saw for quite a few years now. As for the scoring I have never used it , I have cross cut everything from Ebony veneer and tons of hardwood, and never had an issue with the quality of the cut . I use the saw exclusively for crosscutting and occasional short straight line ripping. I also use it to score the cheeks for tenons as well as cutting up door parts and panels for doors. For ripping I have a 67 powermatic 66. I would not recommend this small slider for ripping anything that would require the crosscut fence to be removed to much of pia to re-square crosscut fence. No need for zero clearance throat plate or for that matter the scoring feature. I have my fence set up like a traditional slider As I do not like the idea of lifting material over fence to make cuts. That said I know they make an indexing crosscut fence this might be an alternative if you have to remove the crosscut fence to rip.

As far as problems... none I have changed the belts out once, I use it everyday. I am not space challenged so a traditional table saw and the small slider are ideal for what I do . Good luck with your move.

Thomas Love

Neil Bosdet
02-19-2013, 8:52 PM
Hi Thomas, I won't have the luxury of 2 saws. I will need whatever I saw I get to do all jobs. How much of a PITA is removing and reinstalling the crosscut fence? I used to have an Excalibur Slider and it was a snap to take the fence on and off. I guess I assumed it would be with this saw too. Please explain if possible.

Thanks,

Neil

Bill Neely
02-20-2013, 12:25 AM
As originally equipped the TSS cc fence is fixed to the clamping base/quadrant - it needs to be removed along with the fence:

Laguna sells a what they call a positive miter stop table that eliminates the need for the quadrant base. It has a fixed pin that attaches to the bottom of the fence and locates into a fixed hole in the right edge of the table. At the other side of the table are moveable/fixable slugs that a plunger pin engages with. With this setup the fence comes off in a jiffy and goes right back on in the same way:

From this perspective the fixed hole is on the left.

Thomas love
02-20-2013, 5:56 AM
I think Bill explained it pretty well. One ? for Bill... can you still use the hold down clamp with this fence?

Bill Neely
02-20-2013, 3:31 PM
You can still use the eccentric clamp but I've made some hold downs using Quick Grip clamps. I cut the heads off and a friend of mine welded some 5/16 x 1 1/4 stock in place of the heads, it slides right into the slot on the table and works real well. I haven't used the eccentric clamp since.