PDA

View Full Version : Preparing artwork for laser cutting.

Mike Lysov
02-19-2013, 4:04 AM
Ok, I had never thought I would have some problems in this area and ever need to ask these questions. I was working two years with Spirit GX and one year with Universal and I was always getting my artwork cut exactly as it is designed in Corel Draw and at speeds set when it's sent to the laser.

Now with my new laser, which by the way cannot be fired(it has arrived with one tube cracked and I am waiting for a replacement) it seems I am stuck with problems I have no idea how to solve.

Since I have some time till the new tube is delivered and installed I have decided to get familiar with my new laser. It can still be operated without supplying power to the laser tubes and I run some tests today to see how it works. It works but it does it in a very strange way.

The simplest one to describe is when I try to cut some square it follows its outline completely only at slow speed(1000mm/m). Well I cannot confirm it does sharp 90 degrees corners without actual cutting but the way it moves the corners seem to be square. However if I do the same square shape at high speed(5000mm/m for example) it seems to run at 5000mm/m but it cuts corners making them round. Also it looks like the faster I try to run it the more it cuts corners. At max speed it looks like it is cutting a circle instead of the square.

The square shape is made in the cutting software that this laser came with and it's sent directly from it to the laser. It is made using a rectangular tool which is a part of CAD functions built of this software and I do not believe there are some problems with curves. I do not think it is normal that it does it that way but I have never worked with any CAD software and there may be some things I do not understand.

The more complex problem I am trying to solve comes with my artwork made in CorelDraw. The artwork is just a custom made wooden name so it's a shape with a lot of curves a a few internal cutouts. I have tried both printing directly from CorelDraw or exporting to DXF or DWG format and then importing it to laser cutting software but the result is always the same. The laser cuts this artwork but it does it at some speed that cannot be increased. It seems to be ok when I set speed to 900mm/m but when the same job sent to the laser with higher speed it still does it at 900mm/m. So it just ignores the speed I want and does it at its own speed. And it does not mater if I set speed to 2000mm/m or 30000mm/m in printer properties or change the speed setting directly on laser control panel.

Is there something work with the way this curves are processed by the laser driver or it is a problem with designs?

The laser is LaserLife LCW 280D and the software it came with is EzLaser CAM. It has arc fitting and spline functions but changing their setting does not make any difference/