PDA

View Full Version : More Ebonized Mesquite

Kathy Marshall
02-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Tonight I decided to play around a little more with ebonizing mesquite. I found a smallish blank and turned a small HF. When it was hollowed and sanded, I used a foam brush to apply the vinegar solution with the lathe turning at about 200 rpms. That allowed me to get just a thin coat of solution, and get it applied very evenly. I let it dry for a few minutes and then sanded it back starting with 320 grit, until I got the color I was happy with.
It's 4" tall by 4 1/2" wide and just has a coat of sanding sealer so far. I'll add a few coats of WOP over the next couple of days.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-19-2013, 12:52 AM
I like the form and how this slight ebonizing brings the grain out, Question, being that Mesquite is said to be so stable, did the large split (if I see that right) get in the piece after you turned it, or where they already in there before you started ??.

Do you have the Mesquite split often while drying while in a solid block or later ??, inquiring minds like to know :confused:

Kathy Marshall
02-19-2013, 1:00 AM
I like the form and how this slight ebonizing brings the grain out, Question, being that Mesquite is said to be so stable, did the large split (if I see that right) get in the piece after you turned it, or where they already in there before you started ??.

Do you have the Mesquite split often while drying while in a solid block or later ??, inquiring minds like to know :confused:
Thanks Leo,
The blank had some checking in it, most of the large cracks were turned off but that one and some fine ones remained. I've never had a problem with mesquite cracking or moving after it's turned, but it will crack and check while in log and blank form.

Brian Kent
02-19-2013, 1:37 AM
I like this one better because the grain still shows. Very beautiful.

Dennis Nagle
02-19-2013, 7:07 AM
What is vinegar solution and does it do? I really like the color and form of your piece.

Thom Sturgill
02-19-2013, 8:38 AM
Dennis,

Iron, generally in the form of steel wool, is dissolved in a mild acid, either vinegar or citric acid. When it meets tannin, it forms amorphous ferric tannate complexes. These are black to blue-black in color. This reaction is used both to 'ebonize' woods containing tannin (mesquite in this case, but also works with oak, but not with maple), and with tannic acid applied to iron to protect iron and steel from rust pitting (think wrought iron and gun bluing).

Hope that helps.

Dennis Nagle
02-19-2013, 9:01 AM
That helps a lot Thom. Thanks.

Larry Pickering
02-19-2013, 9:14 AM
Sorry, Cathy, I like the natural look of mesquite. I'm a big fan of color and mesquite is one of favorite woods (when I can get it) that distinct look of mesquite is it's main appeal.

Larry

I'll never be a doctor, because I have no patients.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for that Kathy, kind of what I was expecting, but other than Locust (Black & Honey) and a few pieces of Acacia I have never turned Mesquite, though it seems to have some similarities to these woods :D

jwjerry w kowalski
02-19-2013, 7:53 PM
I like it Kathy, very nice shape, looks very balanced, should be a standout once it has the finish applied.

Timothy Mann
02-19-2013, 8:38 PM
I really like the color of this piece.

John Beaver
02-19-2013, 9:20 PM
Love that look Kathy !!!